D&D General RL Non Metallic Weapon's.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
21st century dart throwing device. Excellent for early edition wizards who could fire three of them in a single minute.

008f7dca018cf98a902c18c94244c7b7e1307654.jpg

”The Wizard’s been nerfed!”

ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa

…little did they know each round was enchanted to detonate into dozens of shards of elemental fire and earth.

Extremely sharp, it's my understanding that it can theoretically be sharpened to a finer edge than steel can
Yes. Some surgeons prefer obsidian scalpels due to the fineness of the cut. It seems to cause less inflammation, so if someone has keloid issues (bad scarring from cuts or wounds) these tools can reduce the scarring and allow for faster healing. They are by no means common, and quite brittle.

Ixal

Hero
Yes. Some surgeons prefer obsidian scalpels due to the fineness of the cut. It seems to cause less inflammation, so if someone has keloid issues (bad scarring from cuts or wounds) these tools can reduce the scarring and allow for faster healing. They are by no means common, and quite brittle.
Deadliness is not a problem for non metal weapons but durability and how hard they are to make. A obsidian studded sword can be very sharp, but will take a lot more time to make then a metal sword and won't last long when involved in combat against heavy armor when every missed strike could mean hitting a wooden shield or metal armor.

And there are instances when non metal material usually is less effective, namely on weapons designed to punch through armor like arrowheads or on heavy two handed weapons. While I might be wrong I doubt an obsidian bodkin arrow head would have the same effect when hitting plate then a metal arrowhead.

Oh, it would shatter. Glass isn't that compressible and obsidian is a fairly heterogeneous substance. Even if you made a perfectly perpendicular strike it would break.

Mail? Leather? It would be useful, although I'm certain it wouldn't penetrate more that a steel arrowhead.

aco175

Legend
I just saw some of these for $85.00 each where a pack of 100 'regular' ones are $14.00

We've been talking about weapons, but I think I should mention paper armor. Appatently in medieval china they found that you could make functional armor out of half inch thick tiles of folded heavy-duty paper. It's efficacy was tested on an old episode of Mythbusters and they found that it performed as well as 1/16 inch steel armor against slashing and piercing weapons, although it didn't do jack against bludgeoning weapons.

(Now that I think of it, that would be a good way make different armors more distinct in RPGs - give them a different armor class against different kinds of weapons)

MGibster

Legend
When I worked at a museum I got to catalog a new collection donated to us by the estate of a WW II veteran who served in the Pacific. The provenience of this bad boy was allegedly Papua New Guinea. I'm not an expert in clubs, but this one looks like a Vanuatu club to me. It's made out of some seriously dense hardwood and if you were to strike someone with it they would have a very, very bad day. The overall length of the club was about 42 inches.

War C;ib.JPG

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We've been talking about weapons, but I think I should mention paper armor. Appatently in medieval china they found that you could make functional armor out of half inch thick tiles of folded heavy-duty paper. It's efficacy was tested on an old episode of Mythbusters and they found that it performed as well as 1/16 inch steel armor against slashing and piercing weapons, although it didn't do jack against bludgeoning weapons.

(Now that I think of it, that would be a good way make different armors more distinct in RPGs - give them a different armor class against different kinds of weapons)
They did that kind of thing in AD&D…and most people ignored it.

Remove ads