Robert E. Howard's Conan AMA With Jason Durall & Chris Lites

Does Modiphius have the right to mention or portray the various alternate chronologies and adaptations of the Hyborian Age?

If so, besides crafting its own take on the Hyborian Age, will Modiphius at least address these in passing?

For example:

The various chronologies offered for the canonical REH stories:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_chronologies

The various media adaptations (such as the films), each of which is essentially a distinct depiction of the Hyborian Age:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Media

And the parallel Hyborian Ages in the Marvel Universe:

Conan in the Mainstream Marvel Universe (Earth-616)
The Hyborian Age is Marvel Earth's past, circa 10,000 BC

Conan (Earth-9997)
Earth X

Conan (Earth-79213)
Conan traveled to modern era

Conan (Earth-83600)
Thor vs. Conan

Conan (Earth-84243)
Conan joined the Avengers

Conan (Earth-84999)
Conan refused to join the Avengers

Conan (Earth-90816)
Wolverine sent back to Conan's time

Conan (Earth-33⅓)
The world of the Marvel UK humorous comic strips

Conan the Librarian (Earth-9047)
Home to Cookies & Milk

Which Earth featured Conan the Pimp from What if....?, 'cause I totally want to see the Cimmerian bumming around manhattan with a pet jaguar. (Makes notes for campaign)

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Will this game have something like lingering injuries? How do hit points or health work? Is natural healing slow (like OSR games) or fast (like 5e)?

I just can't justify the price at this point. I'm getting a the core print book of 7th Sea and ALL the unlocked PDFs for a few dollars less ($40) than the lowest price to just get the core print book of Conan. I would have to spend almost $90 to do the same with Conan. It's no wonder the 7th Sea Kickstarter is over a million dollars right now.

Since the core Conan book doesn't appear to have much of the magic stuff, I wouldn't really have the option to just pledge for the core book without the Book of Skelos. The only reason I would shift over to using their house mechanics is if magic worked very differently than it does elsewhere and wasn't all memorized-spell-based. Since magic in Howard's stories is very different than what you find in a lot of fantasy, that's the part that would make the game special. If I just wanted a sourcebook, I would just go back to the original stories and other sources of information and stick with Barbarians of Lemuria or Savage Worlds for the ruleset.

EDIT: I meant to refer to the $60 level of 7th Sea, not the $40 level. My bad.

Last edited:

Tush Hog

First Post
Describe how characters can be generated with dice rolls. I've always loved random generation with a bit of wiggle room for choices.

jdurall

Explorer
Will this game have something like lingering injuries? How do hit points or health work? Is natural healing slow (like OSR games) or fast (like 5e)?

There are two tracks for two types of injuries: Stresses and Harms.

Stresses are the low-level injuries, scrapes, or even the equivalent of being shaken psychologically. They're divided into two categories:, Vigor (based on Brawn) and Resolve (based on Willpower). When you lose all of the points in one of these categories, then further injuries of that type become Harms.

Harms are divided into Wounds and Trauma, and most heroes have five apiece.

It looks like this:

STRESS
Vigor [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] (based on a 10 Brawn) - when these are checked off, go to Wounds (below)
Resolve [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] (based on a 10 Willpower) - when these are checked off, go to Trauma (below)

These are recovered relatively quickly.

HARMS
Wounds [] [] [] [] [] (most heroes have 5)
Trauma [] [] [] [] [] (most heroes have 5)

These take longer to heal. If a hero takes 4 of these, they must spend a Fortune point to act. If they take all of these points in Harms, they either die or are driven permanently insane/traumatized/comatose.

jdurall

Explorer
How does fighting with two weapon work in this game?

You can always take additional actions by spending Momentum during a round, so if you were holding two weapons, you'd just spend Momentum to take a 2nd attack, though it would be at a penalty.

That said, there are talents that will mitigate the penalties.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no penalties for things like "off" handedness or the like.

jdurall

Explorer
Do Conan or any of the characters from the Howard stories appear in the game books?

Yes, Conan will be in the core book and "advancement" versions of him will be in the core "Conan the..." sourcebooks, and the books will be full of other characters from the stories.

We've released a preview of Thog as part of the Kickstarter, and have another minor character due to appear today or tomorrow.

Remove ads