Robert E. Howard's Conan AMA With Jason Durall & Chris Lites

N01H3r3

Explorer
Right now it's the default, and it would require a complete rework of the armor system to ignore them.

From one of our system engineers:
I'm going to contradict Jason on this point. I'm the lead rules developer for the 2D20 system, so I'm probably best-placed to answer rules questions,

You can ignore hit locations - essentially, treating all attacks as against the torso being the simplest way to do this - but you're better off dropping the armour damage rules if you do so (though you can still sacrifice your shield to avoid an injury, because splintered shields are a thing that should be in fantasy RPGs). This'll be covered in a sidebar in the rulebook, as I'm aware that hit locations aren't for everyone (I don't tend to use them in my home games either).

Water Bob

Adventurer
Looking around using Google, I see more and more gamers starting to post about their dislike for the 2d20 System. And, I see you Modiphius guys engaging each one, on many different forums, trying to change their opinion.

The complaints usually center around the Doom Pool.

Have you thought of having a chapter, or maybe a free pdf download, where the rules are altered and the Doom Pool removed from the game?

-- If you did that, you wouldn't have some players generating Doom and other players paying the price for that Doom generation later. Jeff's Barbarian type generated a lot of Doom early in the adventure, and now Greg's Thief type wants to sneak into the Big Bad Guy's Keep. As he does so, the Ref uses points from the Doom Pool and Greg's Thief is killed as a result. And, now, Greg is a little irked at Jeff for generating so much Doom. This isn't inspiring a happy gaming table.

--- If you did that, you wouldn't have players wondering if the Ref was picking on them: "Why did the Ref decide to use points from the Doom Pool now against me when it's my turn, and not against the other player who went before me?" It's not good for the players to think of the Ref as their enemy, either.

-- If you did that, you wouldn't have players making in-game decisions for their characters based on out-of-game information. Making a decision based on the size of the Doom Pool (which players will do) is just as bad as player saying, "Hey, I got a look at the GM's notebook and saw what was in the next room. We don't want to go that way."

THOUGHTS ON HOW TO WRITE AN ALTERNATIVE RULE?

What Modiphius needs to do is write a supplement or a chapter about using the game without the Doom Pool. You'd still have Momentum and Doom Points. Those points would just have to be spent immediately and not kept for later.

It makes a lot of sense that a player, wanting to throw 5 d20 dice in order (3 more than the 2d20 normal amount) to make sure a task is successful is putting himself at risk of greater failure. Instead of buying Doom automatically and putting it in a pool, have Doom generated by rolling a high number. Therefore, rolling more dice means more chances at Doom (more chances to Fumble).

If Doom is generated, then the Ref applies the Doom (fumble) to the task. If the task is to open a locked chest, then the Ref can use Doom to trigger the trap. If the character is fighting another and generates Doom, then the Ref can apply the Doom to the NPC normally to give him an edge in combat--possibly getting another attack on the PC or increasing damage if a hit is scored.

A few rules would have to be re-thought or changed. For example, initiative. As it is, the players always go first, and the Ref must spend a Doom Point to allow an NPC to go first. With what I am proposing, no characters will carry Doom Points or Momentum. It will all be spent just after it is generated. So, a new initiative rule is needed.

What I'm proposing is an alternate rule--a variant--that players, like me and many others, can use without using the Doom Pool in our games.

Is something like this possible?

Looking around using Google, I see more and more gamers starting to post about their dislike for the 2d20 System. And, I see you Modiphius guys engaging each one, on many different forums, trying to change their opinion.

The complaints usually center around the Doom Pool.

Have you thought of having a chapter, or maybe a free pdf download, where the rules are altered and the Doom Pool removed from the game?

-- If you did that, you wouldn't have some players generating Doom and other players paying the price for that Doom generation later. Jeff's Barbarian type generated a lot of Doom early in the adventure, and now Greg's Thief type wants to sneak into the Big Bad Guy's Keep. As he does so, the Ref uses points from the Doom Pool and Greg's Thief is killed as a result. And, now, Greg is a little irked at Jeff for generating so much Doom. This isn't inspiring a happy gaming table.

--- If you did that, you wouldn't have players wondering if the Ref was picking on them: "Why did the Ref decide to use points from the Doom Pool now against me when it's my turn, and not against the other player who went before me?" It's not good for the players to think of the Ref as their enemy, either.

-- If you did that, you wouldn't have players making in-game decisions for their characters based on out-of-game information. Making a decision based on the size of the Doom Pool (which players will do) is just as bad as player saying, "Hey, I got a look at the GM's notebook and saw what was in the next room. We don't want to go that way."

THOUGHTS ON HOW TO WRITE AN ALTERNATIVE RULE?

What Modiphius needs to do is write a supplement or a chapter about using the game without the Doom Pool. You'd still have Momentum and Doom Points. Those points would just have to be spent immediately and not kept for later.

It makes a lot of sense that a player, wanting to throw 5 d20 dice in order (3 more than the 2d20 normal amount) to make sure a task is successful is putting himself at risk of greater failure. Instead of buying Doom automatically and putting it in a pool, have Doom generated by rolling a high number. Therefore, rolling more dice means more chances at Doom (more chances to Fumble).

If Doom is generated, then the Ref applies the Doom (fumble) to the task. If the task is to open a locked chest, then the Ref can use Doom to trigger the trap. If the character is fighting another and generates Doom, then the Ref can apply the Doom to the NPC normally to give him an edge in combat--possibly getting another attack on the PC or increasing damage if a hit is scored.

A few rules would have to be re-thought or changed. For example, initiative. As it is, the players always go first, and the Ref must spend a Doom Point to allow an NPC to go first. With what I am proposing, no characters will carry Doom Points or Momentum. It will all be spent just after it is generated. So, a new initiative rule is needed.

What I'm proposing is an alternate rule--a variant--that players, like me and many others, can use without using the Doom Pool in our games.

Is something like this possible?

I sent you a PM with a request related to your request, H20. Jason may respond later tonight.

Prickly

First Post
I'm going to contradict Jason on this point. I'm the lead rules developer for the 2D20 system, so I'm probably best-placed to answer rules questions,

You can ignore hit locations - essentially, treating all attacks as against the torso being the simplest way to do this - but you're better off dropping the armour damage rules if you do so (though you can still sacrifice your shield to avoid an injury, because splintered shields are a thing that should be in fantasy RPGs). This'll be covered in a sidebar in the rulebook, as I'm aware that hit locations aren't for everyone (I don't tend to use them in my home games either).

Awesome

Good to know. I really Like the 2d20 for conan, but I know it would a hard sell to my players to try it if hit locations were unavoidable.

moldyderp

Explorer

Having watched multiple playthroughs, listened to multiple playthroughs, read multiple playthroughs, and engaged in two playthroughs with 8 different players I can say that what you suggest happens with 'players thinking they're being picked on' hasn't happened even a single time. It hasn't even been hinted at. Nor has there been any commentary on doom pool mechanics being a detriment to player decision making.

Even though you and I went through this step-by-step in the other thread, these negatives you insist are relevant drawbacks to the system are figments of your imagination and are representations of poor gameplay practices/styles that can and would affect any game using any system if you're playing with someone intentionally trying to abuse other players (i.e. if a GM wants to punish a player because they're an asshat GM, they don't need 2D20 to do it). For everyone else, they work great, and lend to narrative, not detract from it..

I would much rather Modiphius spent their time enhancing what is already a really solid system than making alt rules and PDF downloads to support Water Bob.

This game is for everyone else, but it is clearly not for you. Please move on.

Last edited:

Remove ads