• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rod of Excellent Magic

aurellius

First Post
In the Epic book there is a rod that costs 650k and provides 2000 xp once per day for spell xp cost.

My quest is to make a non-epic version of this but can not come up with a satisfactory formula. Any ideas as to what a 40 xp a day version should cost?

Aurellius

Crothian

First Post
the Jester said:
I wouldn't allow a non-epic device to provide xp at all, personally.

I agree.

However, if you must I'd keep it fairly expensive and make the porerequites pretty tough, like the need for limited wish.

shadracht

First Post
Either that, or make it so it doesn't recharge on its own. It must be recharged with life force (xp) from someone (voluntarily or not). It would, needless to say, be a rather evil item to use (anytime you are sucking someone's life, it's not a good thing)

Krafen

First Post
There's an item in BoEM that does this. The wielder must voluntarily imbue it with XP. It can then be used to provide XP for spellcasting and item creation.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
aurellius said:
In the Epic book there is a rod that costs 650k and provides 2000 xp once per day for spell xp cost.

My quest is to make a non-epic version of this but can not come up with a satisfactory formula. Any ideas as to what a 40 xp a day version should cost?

Aurellius

What's wrong with making the cost linear? 1/50 the amount of xp, 1/50 the cost? So for 40 xp a day it would cost 13000 gp.

What are you going to use it for that costs 40 xp per casting?

Geoff Watson

First Post
Re: Re: Rod of Excellent Magic

Cheiromancer said:

What's wrong with making the cost linear? 1/50 the amount of xp, 1/50 the cost? So for 40 xp a day it would cost 13000 gp.

What are you going to use it for that costs 40 xp per casting?

Making magic items. That costs 40XP per day.
Unfortunately, the Rod of Excellent Magic only applies to spellcasting, not item creation.

Geoff.

Remove ads