Rogar, dwarven god of the forge - Discussion

Aura

Explorer
I heard a lot of neat ideas get bantered about in this discussion, and was wondering where we are on this issue? (I ask because DT's new character is effected by the results and it's been a while.)

GlassEye

Adventurer
We've stalled. Subtract the subdomain list and the last iteration of the mechanics is acceptable to me. I can't bring myself to approve a deity for character use without more than the bare minimum of setting information to go along with it, though.

Aura

Explorer
Ah, I see. As far as mechanics go, it does seem to be pretty close. Which subhuman(s) was troublesome, GE? Perhaps that can get fixed up pretty easily.

As far as the overall story, it's apparently not just about Rogar, but the dwarven gods in general. Build a base, then work up from there, sort of thing. I can see GE's idea 1 or perhaps 1+2 meshing in part or wholly with jkason's work, plus justification for the relative independent development of Sethir dwarves. It seems to me that those could be meshed into the material, if that is the base people want to work from.

This leads to the question: Is this, as a starting point, acceptable material for generation of the proposal? I didn't see any strong objection, but thought I'd ask. If it's acceptable, I'd be happy to bring it together into something so it's easy to consider.

GlassEye

Adventurer
It's not that there is anything wrong with the subdomain list. I haven't looked at it in a while but I think it was ok. As SK pointed out, we haven't listed subdomains for any of the other deities (except Transcendental Imperium which also lists acceptable Oracle mysteries) so I think the idea was that it wasn't necessary here either.

As far as the historical/mythological I think a lot of the stuff from this thread is just stating what's already there but in a more obvious way. Another option for the dwarven pantheon is that they've always been there. I didn't list it earlier because that's generally the default option. IMO, if you're willing to put stuff together then feel free to select/take it in whatever direction suits you.

Satin Knights

First Post
The idea on the subdomains was that they don't need to be listed because we have allowed people to chose either of the subdomains listed for a primary domain. So, our characters get a choice of 15 options, whereas PFS characters generally get 11 options to choose from.

G

Guest 11456

Deity: Rogar the One-Eyed
AL : LG
Portfolios: God of strength, courage, mettle
Domains: Artifice, Good, Law, Protection, Strength
Favored Weapon: Battleaxe

Aura

Explorer
For some reason, I didn't understand the nature of what GE was saying, but having him and SK clarify it I now do. My apologies for somehow missing that. Although when the Lady of Sorrows was written up, subdomains, inquisitions and mysteries were all included information. I'm ok with either approach.

If laying it out into a 'all in one spot' proposal will help forward the process, I can do so, plus add in some details of my own normally associated with a deity's description. It'll take a few days, and they you all can see if it meets muster. Do my best to bring in things people have specifically said they like or are hoping to see.

As for as that goes, I'm also in favor of the cool ideas already put forward and not so much into seeing another retread pantheon. Let the Dwarves have something interesting. :)

Perhaps the Dwarven gods are exemplary members of their race that didn't become mortal upon arrival in our world. Something about them drove them to divine greatness, instead.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Aura, how is this, taking several inputs and merging them:

Deity: Rogar the One-Eyed
AL : LG
Portfolios: God of strength, courage, mettle
Domains: Artifice, Good, Law, Protection, Strength
Favored Weapon: Battleaxe

The Dwarves worship Rogar, a one-eyed aspect of the Ruler. Legend states that Rogar lost his eye fighting evil gods on the day the Dwarven citadels fell, and if not for his courage and strength of arms evil hordes would have been released upon E’n to wipe the Dwarven race from it. Rogar's saga about his transition from master craftsman to military leader and finally to his ascension has been retold several times, being the subject of many renowned pieces of Dwarven high literature and a mirror image to the fate of the Dwarven people. The Dwarven race was crippled by the war, causing them to transition from a militant homogenous race to a broken and scattered people using their trade skills to barter in various lands in order to survive. Rogar's saga has enabled his people to embrace the dualistic importance of creation and destruction; the artisan and the soldier.

Each Clan depicts Rogar differently, but all of them emphasize his role as a craftsman and his skill in combat. They are now a people who find artistry and crafting their primary means of survival, but willing to take on the family's ancient axe when threatened. Rogar's dual-sided battleaxe has a special place represents the dualistic nature of Dwarven philosophy, that it can be used as a tool or for battle, and that it is used in the family as a symbol of elder wisdom and an obligation to defend the household.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases