• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogue and Eldritch Blast - sneak attack possible?

MarkB

Legend
I think it's a cool idea, but like you said--the rules don't really allow for it. If it's important to your character's build, why not talk to your DM about making it possible via a new Eldritch Invocation? Maybe run this one past your DM and see if they allow it:
Gloom Strike
Prerequisites: Agonizing Blast, Sneak Attack class feature
Your eldritch blast cantrip is considered a ranged weapon for the purpose of your Sneak Attack ability (only).​
Given the age of this thread, I'm guessing it also does necrotic damage?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now if it is a flavor thing and a player in one of my games just wanted to be a magic rogue that could sneak attack with a spell, I would make a new cantrip.

Magic Dart
Conjuration cantrip
Casting Time : 1 bonus action
Range : personal
Components : S
Duration : 1 round

You summon a number of magic darts to your hand equal to the number of attacks you can make with an attack action. These magic darts use your casting ability modifier to attack and you are considered proficient, have a range of 120, and do 1d6+casting ability modifier on a hit. These magic darts are considered a magic weapon.

So you have basically taken Magic Stone, and swapped out spell attack for weapon attack?

It is not accidental that Magic Stone is a spell attack. Being able to apply all the stuff you can to weapon attacks to a cantrip is ill-advised, I expect.

Remove ads