• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue at will powers ?

1of3

Explorer
I was not sure how Riposte Strike works, is it like an extra attack or just your normal attack for the turn ?

It basically grants an extra attack during the target's turn, if the target shifts.

Note that this attack uses your Immediate Action for the round. (You can take only one Immediate Action between the end of your turn and the beginning of your next turn.)

Istar

First Post
It basically grants an extra attack during the target's turn, if the target shifts.

Note that this attack uses your Immediate Action for the round. (You can take only one Immediate Action between the end of your turn and the beginning of your next turn.)

Not a SA though as I dont have CA ?

How often will this happen, probably quite a bit in long battles I guess.

1of3

Explorer
Sorry, the trigger is not shifting, it's attacking you, of course. (Got that mixed up with the Warlord's Viper's Strike.) So target attacks you, and you immediately use a riposte.

If you have CA and have used your Sneak Attack since the beginning of your last turn,
you can use it with the Immediate attack as well.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Are there are a lot of opportunity attacks in the game.

It would appear to be a few to be directed at the poor Rogue as he has to move away and around apponents / mellee to get into flanking position for CA ?

It's wholly dependant on what the players do, to be honest. If you play somewhat tactically, you usually can get away without taking any. However, sometimes it's worth taking them to get into better position (ie, set up a Sneak Attack).

nittanytbone

First Post
Remember, you can retrain these when you level up if you aren't happy with your choice. So I'd pick Deft Strike and Piercing Strike because they are mechanically simple and easy to run and see how they work. If you find that you don't get much use out of Deft Strike, then retrain it for something else.

With 14 STR I think you'll be disappointed in Riposte Strike anyways. Your attack will be:

2 STR + 3 PROF + 1 DAGGER ROGUE FEATURE = +8 to hit

Your damage will be:
1d4 + 2 (assuming you don't have CA or already used up your SA)

Against an average enemy of AC 15, you'd do a piddly 3.15 damage every time it gets used (0.7 * 4.5), and you have the opportunity cost of NOT using Piercing Strike to boot. If Deft Strike allows you to get CA one extra time in the fight and deliver one additional SA, it would more than payoff itself.

Dracorat

First Post
By pulling out my slide rule and refracting the light off the pages in the book, divided by the square of the hypotenuse of any triangle created by the resultant experiment, I find....

Choose whichever you think you'd use more.

Lots of good suggestions in here, but overall, that's what they are. The more important thing to ask yourself is - which do you see yourself doing??

Nail

First Post
With 14 STR I think you'll be disappointed in Riposte Strike anyways.

Two bits:
  • It's "extra" damage, since it's a second attack. Every little bit counts.
  • Often (IMO) the DM will have the monsters not attack the rogue because of the potential second attack. Being "not attacked" is a Good Thing(tm).

That said: Piercing Strike (targetting Ref) is very good against soldiers, which both of my groups have trouble with. Against Kobold Dragonshields (frex), it's an effective +5 to hit.

Nail

First Post
Yes we are using MP.
If you are unlikely to use the Stealth skill during combat, Disheartening Strike is better than Deft Strike or Riposte Strike. (So long as your rogue is trained in Intimidate.

Using Stealth in combat is *highly* dependent on your gaming group's playstyle. Does your DM build his encounters as essentialy wide-open spaces (no practical Stealth use), or does he like lots of nooks and cranies and side passages (Stealth FTW!)?

Looking over the published adventures, most go with the former, not the later, I'm afraid.

frogged

First Post
Since I didn't see anyone else reply to this...

And any feats to improve the use of at wills ?

The gladiator article in Dragon 368 has many feats which affect Martial At-Wills. If you do not have a subscription to Dungeons & Dragons Insider in order to read Dragon magazine, all of these feats can be seen in the Character Builder Open Beta, which you can download for free from the Wizards website.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads