• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue at will powers ?

Istar

First Post
New to 4e I see we only get 2 at will powers, whcih to use ??? and how to use them, considering they will get a lot of use.

And any feats to improve the use of at wills ?

From an Elven 20 Dex, 14 Str, Brutal Rogue who will go Daggermaster.... perspective.

Who is going Dagger and x.bow

Nail

First Post
New to 4e I see we only get 2 at will powers, whcih to use ??? and how to use them, considering they will get a lot of use.

And any feats to improve the use of at wills ?

From an Elven 20 Dex, 14 Str, Brutal Rogue who will go Daggermaster.... perspective.

Who is going Dagger and x.bow
Take Deft Strike (for use when you are using stealth) and Riposte Strike.

Do you have the splatbook Martial Powers?

LightPhoenix

First Post
To expand on Nail's suggestions...

Because you're going with a Brawny Rogue, you want an at-will that will take advantage of your Strength score. Looking at the at-wills in the PHB, Riposte Strike uses Strength for a secondary effect.

Sly Flourish probably won't be as useful since it relies on Charisma. That narrows down your options to Deft Strike for mobility, or Piercing Strike so that you can attack Reflex. Of the two, Deft Strike is generally regarded as the better option, since Rogues in 4E really need to be moving around.

One thing to note about Deft Strike is that the bonus movement counts as a "move," and not a "shift." If you "move" next to an enemy, you'll take attacks of opportunity; "shifting" negates that. Because of this, the best use for it is, IMO, to get a little extra range to make it to an enemy.

If you have Martial Power, Disheartening Strike is worth a look. However, personally I favor Deft Strike because of the movement.

Danceofmasks

First Post
I'm not so sure about riposte strike.
The hitroll (and damroll) on your interrupt is based on strength, and with only +2 str mod, it's not particularly effective.
Having said that, it can be a great deterrent, since your target knows you have a riposte in wait for 'em.

Deft strike is very nice, as previously noted.
If you have a charisma mod at all (though with a 20/14 build it's unlikely until paragon+), sly flourish may be an option instead, for a tiny bit of additional damage.

Personally, I'd go with deft strike and piercing strike.

Being able to target reflex can often be over +5 to hit vs soldiers, and those are dudes that the party needs you to land your sneak attack on.
If you're using a dagger, you should be averaging over 16 damage a hit (with sneak) at level 1 ... in such a situation, that heavy bonus to hitroll can be jaw droppingly awesome.
To a lesser extent, it's effective vs. brutes, leaders, and controllers.
Skirmishers often have equivalent AC and ref.
Of course, that's a generalisation. Some skirmishers have very low reflex, whilst some non-skirmishers have equal defenses across the board.

edit:
I left out lurkers, but meh ... just hit those in the AC.

I'm not so sure about riposte strike.
The hitroll (and damroll) on your interrupt is based on strength, and with only +2 str mod, it's not particularly effective.
Having said that, it can be a great deterrent, since your target knows you have a riposte in wait for 'em.
The loss of +2 to hit on a rogue has never seemed to be that big an issue to me. You already will have the +3 proficiency and the +1 dagger bonus that make that attack into a +6 at first level. Still looks like a decent option IMO.

Not wanting to get into a "play your character your way" discussion, I would have to agree with the deft strike opinions to back any way you would play a rogue.

Istar

First Post
Take Deft Strike (for use when you are using stealth) and Riposte Strike.

Do you have the splatbook Martial Powers?

Yes we are using MP.

I was not sure how Riposte Strike works, is it like an extra attack or just your normal attack for the turn ?

Istar

First Post
To expand on Nail's suggestions...

Because you're going with a Brawny Rogue, you want an at-will that will take advantage of your Strength score. Looking at the at-wills in the PHB, Riposte Strike uses Strength for a secondary effect.

Sly Flourish probably won't be as useful since it relies on Charisma. That narrows down your options to Deft Strike for mobility, or Piercing Strike so that you can attack Reflex. Of the two, Deft Strike is generally regarded as the better option, since Rogues in 4E really need to be moving around.

One thing to note about Deft Strike is that the bonus movement counts as a "move," and not a "shift." If you "move" next to an enemy, you'll take attacks of opportunity; "shifting" negates that. Because of this, the best use for it is, IMO, to get a little extra range to make it to an enemy.

If you have Martial Power, Disheartening Strike is worth a look. However, personally I favor Deft Strike because of the movement.

One thing about the mechanics of 4e I am not sure about.

Are there are a lot of opportunity attacks in the game.

It would appear to be a few to be directed at the poor Rogue as he has to move away and around apponents / mellee to get into flanking position for CA ?

Ibixat

First Post
One thing about the mechanics of 4e I am not sure about.

Are there are a lot of opportunity attacks in the game.

It would appear to be a few to be directed at the poor Rogue as he has to move away and around apponents / mellee to get into flanking position for CA ?

OA's dont' seem to happen too too often.... though I found it hilarious when the DM had a humanoid NPC who had been surrounded by 3 other allies and shifts out so he's only adjacent to the rogue (me) to use his ranged aoe against them without provoking all three thinking, weakling rogue's OA's aren't that bad, only to be crit by a +2 viscious dagger for 27 damage on the OA.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads