Rogue shopping

corwyn77

Adventurer
I've got 20,000 gold to spend and I'm looking for advice as to where to spend it.

Level 8 drow artful dodger rogue.

There is currently no limit to the level of item we can buy, so level 13 max, just based on cost.

So, what should I look at, to increase defense and damage?

Jack99

Adventurer
Better armor and weapon perhaps...

Seriously. How can we say unless we know what you already have? Or is it a brand new character?

And what are you looking for? Things that complement the character, things that have utility, or are you simply looking for the biggest damage?

PS: Knowing what feats ya have might help too :)

A +3 Jagged Weapon is level 12. Grab one and don't look back.

Serpentskin Leather +2.

Grab a +2 neck slot item you like, maybe an amulet of physical resolve, ornament of alertness or periapt of recovery. If you have a little left, Acrobat Boots are nice for the price.

Sordath

Explorer
I'ma huge fan of any of the armours that give resists, but veteran's armour is always a staple.

I'd second the neck slot item to boost defences, plus acrobat boots and the gauntlets that reduce enemy damage resistance as par for the course.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Jagged is indeed awesome, but my DM added a save to the ongoing damage, so it didn't seem worth it for just the 19-20 crit since we have a Divine Oracle in the party. But for a rogue, maxing out your d8 sneak attacks (you do have backstabber, right?) could be worth it.

The gloves of piercing are for wizards. Zero monsters specifically resist weapon damage (since it's not a damage type!) and there's exactly two monsters where you could use it: the Terrasque and the Briar Witch Dryad's Briar Cage power. That's it. Don't bother.

I would recommend a footpad's friend weapon from the Adventurer's Vault. Your charisma's probably 18 or so? That means +4 damage to all your sneak attacks. Also make sure armor and neck slot items are +2 or better.

Boots of the Fencing master are awesome for you. An encounter power that lets you shift two as a minor action? Yes, please. Plus, any time you shift, you get +1 to AC and Reflex until the end of your next turn.

Antipathy Gloves would also rock for you, since it'd be extremely hard to get out of your flank. Their daily power isn't so shabby either.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Here's some more info:

feats - backstabber, quickdraw, ranger multiclass, alchemy, skill training

current gear - wildleaf leather, lifedrinker dagger, mage's parrying dagger, cloak of distortion, acrobat boots, Iron Armbands of power, hat of disguise.

The lifedrinker i got early when i was dropping a lot and got me through early levels. I picked up the Jagged today and it helped plenty in the damage department (the damage the fighter has been dishing out lately has been disheartening but this helped - 52 damage hit plus ongoing, nice). AThey should do until I hit Daggermaster, then I'll probably switch to Footpad's friend.

I also like the fencing master boots and may get those soon. Acrobatic boots are nice since rogues need to keep moving for flanking so prone is really annoying but we haven't run into much that knocks us prone - FM boots seem much more universal overall. And the minor action shift should cover that anyway.

No Veteran's armor allowed for this game. Serpentskin looks pretty good though.

I'm the team's face - yeah, (inspite of being a Drow - that's what hat of disguise is for as well as a suit of Imposter's armor when needed as a spare (+1). That end has been going well.

So I'm generally looking for damaging inflicting and avoidance but some fun stuff too. Considering Hedge Wizard's gloves with that in mind.

MrAlgothi

First Post
As far as weapons for Dagger Masters with high damage potential go, I have been loving my +3 Bloodiron dagger I gained at 11th lvl. With the feats Devastating Crit and Rogue Weapon Mastery, my critical hits extra damage is 4d10+2d4, with the rolled damage repeating on my next turn if the target lives still. I just picked up our 14th lvl treasure and I now have a War Ring, which makes the above 5d10+2d4 and with a daily power after a milestone I can add another d10 and max the extra crit damage for a total of 68 damage, done again at the start of my next turn.

My DM now cringes when I crit, but it has helped me move ahead of our Minotuar Greatweapon Fighter with executioner axe who generally does similar damage to me.

Remove ads