• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogue - Skill Mastery Bonus

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I have just reread Skill Mastery and am confused. Its says when determining skill bonus rogues use their ability modifier or +3, whichever is higher.

I simply thought this was a typo/hangover still there from the first playtest and ignored it as all PCs now ADD their ability bonus and the +3 from BGs.

Am I right?....OR, does it refer:

A) To you ability score bonus, so if it is not +3 already it becomes +3. So along with BG +3, your skill would be +6.
OR
B) To the bonus from BG. So if your ability score is higher than +3 you use it TWICE? So you would simply have +8 (for 18-19 DEX) or +10 (with 20 DEX).

Neither of these sound right to me? Especially combined with the take 10! (Which we have replaced with Advantage and I am not that worried about as it seems to be on the way out soon).

I sure hope they clear the wording of this up. How have others interpreted this?

Rydac

Explorer
We interpreted as "A" and yes combined with the skill mastery 10 minimum
was very boring....I'm also happy to hear that version of mastery is on the way out.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
We interpreted it as your ability modifier or a +3 (whichever is higher), plus +3 for being trained in the skill. So for all the rogues, their modifier for everything they are trained it was at a minimum +6 (upwards to +7 or +8 if the ability score mod was +4 or +5). Combine this with Skill Mastery, the rogues could never roll less than a 16 on any check for any of the six skills they were trained in.

Needless to say... we were not happy with this iteration. The fact that for six different skills a 1st level rogue could never fail at anything up to Hard checks we felt was quite ridiculous and made things stunningly anti-climactic.

Remove ads