• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue + Warlock + Assassin using multiclass and hybrid equals "win"

Rachel

First Post
Is it just me or has the whole stealth thing gone too far?

Viable tactic is good, but and effective +5 to ll defenses and no OAs is a bit much.

Luckily my players see it all as incredibly cheesy and unfun so we just ignore the whole hiding in combat thing. Of course YMMV

Think I'm with you on this. :p

@Diggity Dave and Rikun: welcome to the forums, glad to have you.

Ajar

Explorer
A friend of mine was interested in finding out how a rogue/warlock could, through either hybrid or multiclassing benefit both from shadow walk and the new MP2 Rogue class feature to be able to constantly hide in plain sight. It was already possible, but both involved using up the paragon path to either paragon multiclass as a warlock to get Shadow Walk via a feat, or to paragon hybrid so that both class features could be taken by feats.
Fleeting Ghost arguably allows a Rogue|Warlock hybrid with Shadow Walk (via Hybrid Talent) to do this at will at level 2. It isn't clear-cut, so it's the DM's call as to whether this works; my DM allowed it, and I'm playing one.

The reasoning is that Fleeting Ghost explicitly grants you a stealth check regardless of whether you meet the conditions for becoming hidden. Normally you'd immediately lose the hidden status on account of not having cover or concealment, but a character with Shadow Walk doesn't have that problem.

Also, I'm not sure that hybrids can paragon multiclass. Try doing it in the Character Builder -- it doesn't let you take the power-swap feats in time, because you have to have three powers of the type in question at the time you take the power-swap feat.

I actually multiclassed my tiefling Rogue|Warlock into Assassin, but I did it to get Shadow Step. What can I say, the character has an eladrin inferiority complex. :p I wanted to take power-swap feats as early as possible, but I don't see a way to take even the encounter one before level 8, since I get my third encounter attack power at level 7.

I would probably have made an Assassin or hybrid Assassin if we hadn't already been playing a long time when the Assassin class was released. The hybrid Rogue|Warlock was my pre-Assassin effort to build a sneaky guy who teleports a lot. It's a lot of fun to play, though, even in a fight -- he's mainly a melee attacker, but he's really squishy, so each turn is a balance between the risk of getting pummeled and the chance of dealing lots of damage with a Rogue power. I think a ranged version would be vicious, but it would also be a lot less fun for me -- I like the risk vs reward game.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Also, I'm not sure that hybrids can paragon multiclass. Try doing it in the Character Builder -- it doesn't let you take the power-swap feats in time, because you have to have three powers of the type in question at the time you take the power-swap feat.

The situation would have involved a straight Rogue paragon multiclassing as a warlock to get Shadow Walk as a feat OR a Rogue/Warlock using the hybrid paragon path to get a hybrid talent a second time.

Also, it is possible to paragon multiclass with a hybrid character, as you can take the feats at the minimum level (even if you can't use it immediately to retrain). And, with retraining, you can take the feats when you first get your chance to use them (retraining into Novice at 7, retraining into the Acolyte at 10 while also taking Adept at level 10. Only a human would be able to benefit from the at-will power swap granted by the paragon multiclassing though.

Ironnipple

First Post
Where can you find the assassin multi class feat?
I was looking into doing this with my hero, but can't find what book/magazine it is in. Although I think I found the name of it, shadow initiate.

MwaO

Adventurer
Where can you find the assassin multi class feat?
I was looking into doing this with my hero, but can't find what book/magazine it is in. Although I think I found the name of it, shadow initiate.

Shadow Initiate or Practiced Killer are multiclass feats into Assassin.

Just be warned, this is known as Permastealth and is generally a net-negative choice, not a positive one. Mainly because one of two things happen:
The DM plays unfair because they don't like it and make up things designed to negate the ability.
The DM plays fair, ignores the Permastealth PC, and focus fires on targetable PCs. i.e. net outcome is that the other PCs take more damage due to the Permastealth PC and the Permastealth PC doesn't do as much damage as a regular member of any of the classes. Upping the chance of a TPK is not a good move...

Ironnipple

First Post
Why is it considered permastealth? Just because of all the invisibility traits and stuff in the assassin class?

And to be honest I don't think that's going to change drastically to how our encounters generally go anyway.

(After reading some guides online I realize I and probably going to get a lot of people bashing my character right now, but....)

I am playing a drow seeker, and I want to multi class into assassin, simply for the venom hand master skill. I already have a handful of poison attacks, and the skulker of vhaeran theme, so it seems to me that it's a good way to ensure some control with those attacks.

But that being said, I don't think having my teammates attacked more often will be a big deal because I am already typically in the back with my bow.

Ironnipple

First Post
Oh and maybe I should mention before you completely bash my build and tell me how many levels of wrong I am, this is my first ever D&D character, so I'm kind of learning as I go.

Remove ads