• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue + Warlock + Assassin using multiclass and hybrid equals "win"

WalterKovacs

First Post
A friend of mine was interested in finding out how a rogue/warlock could, through either hybrid or multiclassing benefit both from shadow walk and the new MP2 Rogue class feature to be able to constantly hide in plain sight. It was already possible, but both involved using up the paragon path to either paragon multiclass as a warlock to get Shadow Walk via a feat, or to paragon hybrid so that both class features could be taken by feats.

With the new assassin article however, a heroic tier it's possible to get Shadow Walk with a single feat (although you need to be both a warlock and an assassin). This means a hybrid rogue + either warlock or assassin and multiclass into the third can constantly hide (by moving three squares) as early as 4th level (2nd level for a human).

Not saying it's broken (it was already possible in paragon tier, but now it's easier to pull off earlier, plus you don't have to give up a paragon path) but wasn't sure if WOTC knew about that particular trick at the time. For a 'normal' assassin, it's a great feature that makes sense for them to have ... but throwing the rogue's new class feature into the mix makes it quite nasty.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
No Warlock or Gnome love!?!?!?

Great to finally see hybrid rules for Assassin, but I am very disappointed to not see any loving for Gnomish Feylock/Assassins of Zilargo!

Come one people, that idea totally rocks!

RigaMortus2

First Post
Not saying it's broken (it was already possible in paragon tier, but now it's easier to pull off earlier, plus you don't have to give up a paragon path) but wasn't sure if WOTC knew about that particular trick at the time. For a 'normal' assassin, it's a great feature that makes sense for them to have ... but throwing the rogue's new class feature into the mix makes it quite nasty.

If you go Hybrid Rogue/Warlock then paragon multiclass into Assassin, then you can't get a paragon path. Paragon multiclassing overrides that...

Unless you can pull this trick off with the simple multiclass feat for the assassin (or warlock, as it were)???

WalterKovacs

First Post
If you go Hybrid Rogue/Warlock then paragon multiclass into Assassin, then you can't get a paragon path. Paragon multiclassing overrides that...

Unless you can pull this trick off with the simple multiclass feat for the assassin (or warlock, as it were)???

Yup. It's a heroic tier feat that only requires having both the assassin and warlock classes, which can be acheived by a single multiclass feat. Meaning a three feat requirement (hybrid for the rogue feature, the multiclass feat, then the feat to get shadow walking).

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Great to finally see hybrid rules for Assassin, but I am very disappointed to not see any loving for Gnomish Feylock/Assassins of Zilargo!

Come one people, that idea totally rocks!

You mean loving, like in the form of the awesome combo that this thread is about? Gnome warlock/assassin/rogues can be unseen for entire combats now.

bganon

Explorer
I dunno, Cunning Sneak rogues already typically take deft strike and gloaming cut as at-wills, and with shadow strike and twilight menace as their enc/daily they already have the chance to stay hidden for much of an entire encounter if there's even a single square that offers concealment.

So, yeah, the Cunning Sneak + Shadow Walk combo is very nice - but the cost is three feats and being a multi-classed hybrid! And what you get isn't really that far beyond what a vanilla Cunning Sneak rogue is capable of right out of the box, especially if you've got a controller in the party who can drop LOS blockers, or a Battlemind with Mind Snare, etc... And the single-classed Rogue doesn't have the hybrid restrictions on SA to worry about, and can use those three feats for damage stacking.

It's a cool combo, but I'm always a little wary of "island" builds that focus on getting something neat without external help. Most people play D&D with other people...

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Invisible is a Great Defense and Offense

You mean loving, like in the form of the awesome combo that this thread is about? Gnome warlock/assassin/rogues can be unseen for entire combats now.

Well, yes, that's totally true, but that is a great offensive and defensive tactic. It is hard for 'dead things walking' to fight back against an assailant they can't see, especially when it is a GNOME! =)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Is it just me or has the whole stealth thing gone too far?

Viable tactic is good, but and effective +5 to ll defenses and no OAs is a bit much.

Luckily my players see it all as incredibly cheesy and unfun so we just ignore the whole hiding in combat thing. Of course YMMV

jbear

First Post
Just having a look at a Human RogueAssassin Hybrid multiclassing into Warlock to achieve the afore mentioned combo. It looks far better than a pure Assassin from where I'm standing. 7 trained Skills at level 1. Hybrid Assassin's shrouds combine with Rogue Comabat Advantage damage maxing at 4d6 every 2 rounds (1d6 on a miss). Assassins At Wills are very meh anyway, so let's say assassin's noose which is nice with the pull effect and then 2 Rogue At Wills, Deft Strike being an obvious choice to remain at range. AC should be decent with the Shadow Walk (achieved at 1st level by taking the 2 feats) and picking up the Assassin's shadow step Hybrid Talent to teleport 3 squares from person to person as an At Will move (enough to trigger Shadow Step and gain concealment.... not shabby at all. I'd much rather play that than a pure assassin, personally.

Remove ads