• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue: Wielding dagger, offhanding shuriken? No penalties?

TheGlow

First Post
Just trying to wrap my head around some misc stuff.
So no penalty for holding stuff, so can I run around with a dagger in my main hand to attack like normal, but have a shuriken in my off hand to have on standby in case I wish to throw, and not throw the dagger?

Harr

First Post
This is how we play it, yeah.

Also should you throw you shuriken, it's a minor action to grab another one.

Basically anytime you want to put something away or grab something from your belt or backpack it's a minor action, which leads players to want to always carry two things at once if at all possible, including potions, thrown stuff, a fire weapon in your main hand and a cold one in your off, etc. I haven't found anything that says you can't or that any penalty applies, yet.

TheGlow

First Post
Nod, thats what I thought.
Sounded a bit odd, but oh well.
Not as bad as someone running around offhanding a potion. Heh.
But yea I figured id nab quick draw later on just for fun and initiative perks.
There isnt anything about tossing 2 in one round besides a power, is there?

Surgoshan

First Post
Only powers; only the ranger is a two-hander in this edition, when it comes to attacking. Everyone else puts their attacks on one leg.. er, hand at a time.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Xect said:
Are you certain? I'd think shuriken were equivalent to weapons with the 'load free' property.
Only as part of a power; normal throwing is one shot (jut like bows).

baberg

First Post
Xect said:
Are you certain? I'd think shuriken were equivalent to weapons with the 'load free' property.
Hrm, the book doesn't explicitly say what the load time is for a Shuriken - the only property is "Light Thrown" which doesn't offer any information. But I'd assume that if a sling is "Load Free" (which would include opening up a pouch, retrieving a stone, and placing it in the sling) that pulling a Shuriken out of a belt buckle would also be a "Load Free" action, even though it's a Minor to sheathe/unsheathe...

Head hurts...

Harr said:
...which leads players to want to always carry two things at once if at all possible, including potions, thrown stuff, a fire weapon in your main hand and a cold one in your off, etc...
When I first read this I imagined a fighter with a flaming sword in one hand and a beer in the other.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
baberg said:
Hrm, the book doesn't explicitly say what the load time is for a Shuriken - the only property is "Light Thrown" which doesn't offer any information. But I'd assume that if a sling is "Load Free" (which would include opening up a pouch, retrieving a stone, and placing it in the sling) that pulling a Shuriken out of a belt buckle would also be a "Load Free" action, even though it's a Minor to sheathe/unsheathe...

Head hurts...

There is no such thing as a "load" time for a shuriken, as you don't load it in a weapon. Instead, it is held in hand and then thrown.

To draw (or retrieve) the shuriken from where it is stored is a minor action (PHB pg 289), but if you have the Quick Drawfeat (PHB pg 200) it is part of the action used to attack with it (no additional time). Any power that allows you to attack multiple times just ignores redraw times; that's part of the way the power breaks the rules.

Note also that you need one shuriken for each target affected with a attack, as per the descriptions on pages 270-1 for Ranged Attack, Close Attack and Area Attack.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads