• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue with Vow of Poverty

Stormborn

Explorer
Phasics, well obviously you got everyone's message about not stealing from the party, but i have a question about the character based on your second post. Why would such a character adventure? A former treasure-monger makes sense as a rogue, but once he decided to stop aquiring it for himself and redistribute he is going to start robbing from the aristocrats and wealthy merchants, not go dungeon exploring. In fact introducing the wealth found in the dungeons is proabbly antithetical to his philosophy. A Vow of Pverty might be appropriate for such a character, but if I were the GM I would have to look long and hard at allowing it.

I can see such a PC as a rabble rouser in an urban campaign (and FFG's City book even has such a PrC IIRC) but only in a game where the goal of every PC was similar, or at the very least parts of a disenfranchized underclass struggling to change the social order. A rebelious cleric, a former pit fighter, an orphan sorcerer, maybe an urban barbarian from the city's dump, an urban druid, a sluming bard who has taken up the cause of the common man. All would work. Dynasties and Demagogues would be of aid in such a campaign. But, its not going to be dungeon crawling at all. Nor any type of adventuring. I can see games trying to get broadsheets printed, organize rallies, evade capture, etc.

Last edited:

Agent Oracle

First Post
AuraSeer said:
I'll go with "nothing else." Stealing from other party members is a good way to derail a campaign, and a great way to make people angry IRL. The "I was just playing my character" excuse does not work with my group.

Tell me about it. We had a rogue in our group who was fond of doing the "While they're asleep, I switch their stuff around".

Right up until I set an explosive rune on my backpack. and a sepia snake sigil. and a leomund's trap (which i let him see me cast on the thing, so he ignored the "trap", setting off the OTHER two traps.)

Remove ads