• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogues are Awesome. Is it the Tasha's Effect?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm fine with it working repeatedly. Just don't do it from the exact same place in subsequent rounds or you'll be making the Dexterity (Stealth) check at disadvantage. Move somewhere else you can hide and you won't. Up to you.

If the opponents know the halfling us there can't they move until halfling no longer has cover then they're not hidden?

Afaik hiding isn't like greater invisibility. I assumed once you attacked that breaks the hiding effect.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I allow the halfling thing to work once per combat.

You're not hiding once you launch the first strike imho.

If you had hide in plain sight though yeah the combo works.
Hide in plain sight says, "Once you move or take an action or a reaction, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit."

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It just means the ranged rogue is at a disadvantage relative to the melee rogue. Which is why we have Steady Aim now. Balance-wise, WOTC acknowledges it tactically made sense they both be treated equally.
Is that something WotC said? I don't follow any of their design notes.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If the opponents know the halfling us there can't they move until halfling no longer has cover then they're not hidden?

Afaik hiding isn't like greater invisibility. I assumed once you attacked that breaks the hiding effect.
You can't hide if you can be seen clearly or heard. Ultimately the DM determines whether the conditions are sufficient for the character to hide.

Zardnaar

Legend
Is that something WotC said? I don't follow any of their design notes.

I posted about it a while back. A few rogues I've seen run around sniping achieving not much vs more aggressive ones who dual wield.

Basically the ranged rogue often sucks up -2 to hit and doesn't get the off hand attack.

New rule fixed that and the AT who now had a spare hand for spellcasting and advantage is better than pseauo advantage for dual wielder.

Newest rogue still the AT or High Elf with booking blade/gfb.

Was going to have the should we use Tasha's conversation tonight but no D&D this week.

The trouble is that all you have to do is hide as the first thing on your turn and then attack. You only need to be hidden when you make your attack roll. You don't have to start your turn hidden, and you only need to hide from your intended target.

You can't hide if you can be seen clearly or heard. Ultimately the DM determines whether the conditions are sufficient for the character to hide.
That's true, those are the base rules for hiding.

Except Naturally Stealthy throws a large monkey wrench into the works. It says, "You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you." That makes it rather hard to say that this ability doesn't mean that you're supposed to be able to hide merely by moving behind a medium size creature, such as a human ally.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Except Naturally Stealthy throws a large monkey wrench into the works. It says, "You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you." That makes it rather hard to say that this ability doesn't mean that you're supposed to be able to hide merely by moving behind a medium size creature, such as a human ally.
We always rule that you can definitely hide behind a Medium-sized ally and pop out to make a ranged attack at advantage. Melee attacks not so much. Because a rogue doesn't need advantage to get sneak attack off though, oftentimes the move is for the halfling to hide after the attack so they can't be targeted, provided the enemies can't just walk around and see them. Chokepoint battles, for example.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
What can I say? I think a rogue hiding behind the lone tree on an open plain "popping out" and getting advantage every round is dumb. The first time? Sure. Second time? Nope. Same with the halfling ability. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

So just like a rogue could potentially move from tree to tree (if the forest/underbrush) is dense enough to give them cover when moving around, a halfling might be able to move around in a crowd escaping notice.

Feel free to run it differently.
And now for something completely different.
How not to be seen

Remove ads