D&D 5E Rogue's Cunning Action to Hide: In Combat??

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You can check his math here I think? I think he use a 60% chance to hit. He does also add crit damage. Has calcs for advantage and disadvantage (and impact on crits from each), using feats, etc..
Yeah, I see what he's doing. It heavily weights multiple dice. For every 2 dice you roll, it adds 1 additional damage. So a high damage die, low number of dice rolled (like d12s) is immediately disadvantaged to low damage dice, high number of rolls. For example, if I was comparing a d12 to 3d4 using his method, the d12 average is 7 (half (6.5)plus 1/2) while the 3d4 average is 9 (3x half die (2.5) +1/2). This has a very distorting effect on the calculations that not rounding doesn't have. It does mean you don't have .5s floating around.

If I use his rounding method, and compare a rogue TWF short swords, level 1, to Rapier with advantage, level one, using the accurate method, I get:

SS damage(x2): 4
Attribute damage: 3
Sneak damage: 4
Total: 15
Bonus crit: 12
.6*15+.05*12 = 9.6

Rapier damage: 5
Attribute damage: 3
Sneak damage: 4
Total: 12
Bonus Crit: 9
(1-.4^2)*12+.05*9 = 10.53

Cool. But, if I break it out into cases, and do the longer math for exact chances and crits, I get
SS TWF: 10.64
Rapier ADV: 8.73

Not using the rounding method the longer form calculations are:
SS: 9.54
Rapier ADV: 7.8

There's lots of inflation here.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
@Charlaquin was just making the point that you don't have to completely vanish from existence for you to be considered hidden by the game rules.
Okay ... I still can't parse the sentence to get that, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Thanks!

You make a melee weapon attack as part of the spell casting when you cast Booming Blade.
Booming Blade causes you to make an attack :)
Ah right, forgot about that. (Guess who's never played an arcane trickster?)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But you said "If you assume a successful hide check means your opponents have absolutely no idea where you could possibly be," which seems to indicate that you're starting from the opposite premise--?
If you assume that, then it leads to an outcome that I agree is absurd. Which is why I don’t assume that.

Oofta

Legend
Of course, Rogue/Fighter really goes wild. Gaining a fighting style, action surge, bigger ranged weapon dice, and second wind, is well worth delaying sneak attack dice by one die. I wouldn’t go past level 5 in fighter, though.

But ... but ... going to 6th level just to get that extra feat is so tempting! :cautious:

A lot depends on the campaign of course. When I did it I knew we were going to go up to 20th.

Charlaquin

But it's still going to be much easier than when he attacked you the first time and you did not even know he was there.
Why didn’t you know he was there? You’re aware of your surroundings and alert for danger during combat, so you’d have seen him go behind the pillar and not come out from behind it. You know where he is, you just don’t see him, which makes defending against attacks from him difficult because you can’t see his telegraphs. Again, this is someone anyone who has played a first person shooter has experienced, and probably used to their advantage.
Once more, I'm not forbidding anything, I'm just ensuring that the narrative makes a bit of sense, and that, just as in real life, clever and inventive choices are rewarded, compared to simple repetition.
What I’m objecting to at this point is not your ruling, but your insistence that the alternative doesn’t make a bit of narrative sense. It makes plenty of sense if you have a different set of assumptions, as I explained above.
And I'm sorry but that does not make any sense top me, which is probably a reason for which no one has ever put that kind of situation in any source of the genre. But of course YCMV.
It’s very simple. If you don’t assume that being “hidden” from someone means they have no idea where they are, but merely that they can’t currently see or hear you, then creatures don’t have to be idiots to get hit with advantage multiple times by an enemy hiding in the same spot.
And that is exactly what being hidden does.
No, it isn’t. Being hidden gives the attacker advantage on attack rolls and imposes disadvantage on attack rolls against them.
I don't read that in that ability: "You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you." It's just giving away more opportunity to hide,
Right, but to what end? It gives no defensive advantage since your opponents can just walk around your ally, see you there, and attack you. And given your ruling it seems to give no offensive advantage either since you’re seen when you peek out from behind your ally to attack. So, it seems there’s no point. You’re just using a bonus action and rolling a Dex check to accomplish nothing at all.
but once an opponent has seen the halfling disappear behind a companion once, and the halfling disappears again while there is no other concealement possible, there is a good chance that he will watch for the halfling exactly at the same place.
Sure, he can watch for the halfling exactly at the same place. Then the halfling can lean out from the other side. Or he can crouch and pop out at a lower angle. Or he can stay where he is and arc a shot over his ally’s head, or between their legs.
What gives you the impression that it's meant to hide in the same spot more than once ?
Nothing about it suggests you wouldn’t be able to do so.
The rules make it really simple: "When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it." That's really all they say on the subject.

So, from this, a DM would be perfectly right in saying that as soon as the rogue pops out from behind the pillar (or the halfling from behind his friend), he can be seen and therefore does not have advantage.
Yes, the DM could rule that way, and it would be consistent with RAW. It would also make Naturally Stealthy useless, which makes me suspect it is not consistent with RAI.
Whereas when you fire from a dark area, where you can't be seen at all even while firing, you would have advantage (which, by the way, is where the second sentence "If you are hidden — both unseen and unheard — when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses." comes in effect to tell you that even if you were totally unseen, you still give away your position once the attack hits or misses (and therefore after you have rolled with advantage).
I agree with this assessment of how attacking whole obscured by darkness works. That’s not the use case under contention here,
But most of us are not that harsh on rogues popping out from "concealement",
Concealment isn’t a thing in 5e, it’s either cover or obscurement.
because we also apply the reading from the section on hiding that says "You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly", which is a bit more forgiving. But because that is plain english, it's also much fuzzier, what does "clearly" mean.
That’s up to DM discretion.
And this is where, once more, we go back to the devs intentions about stealth: "This more than almost any other part of the game, is going to rely on the Dungeon Master."
I don’t dispute that.
What you see is all there is, and so far nothing has shown that there is not a mechanistic following of just the RAW behind some contributors implementations, with some slapped-on justification.
I can’t parse this. What are you saying?

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Isn't it generally ackowledged that arcane trickster is the strongest rogue subclass, though?
Generally yes, because the Arcane Trickster's strength is predictable and consistent. However, the Thief might give it a run for its money depending on how a particular DM treats improvised grenadelike weapons (there are something like half a dozen different possible interpretations), and how much spare cash the Thief has. A Thief Rogue with a pack full of Malice poison, forcing a DC 15 save (or be Blinded for an hour with no follow-up save) as a bonus action is just brutal.

No, it isn’t. Being hidden gives the attacker advantage on attack rolls and imposes disadvantage on attack rolls against them.
I would instead phrase it as a successful hide check makes the creature unheard (and unseen, if they weren't already). But I agree that a successful hide check does not make the target automatically have no clue where the creature is. The target still remembers whatever it saw/heared about the Rogue's position prior to the successful hide check, and the check does not make them forget that.

ECMO3

Hero
So, from this, a DM would be perfectly right in saying that as soon as the rogue pops out from behind the pillar (or the halfling from behind his friend), he can be seen and therefore does not have advantage.
But a halfling does not need to come out! Any character can shoot through another creatures space (not so through a pillar). The halfling can stay behind his ally and shoot at his enemy. He is only hidden (and therefore unseen) in such a case because of his halfling ability and he remains hidden until he attacks.

This example is not similar to a Rogue popping out from a pillar, it is more like a Rogue shooting through an illusionary pillar. The Rogue is behind an illusionary pillar (say from silent image). He knows the pillar is an illusion and can see the enemy on the other side of it even though the enemy can't see him. The halfling is in the same situation, he can hide behind a human and the enemy can't see him, but he can still see the enemy. The only difference is the enemy has cover in the example with the halfling and he doesn't in the example with the Rogue.

Charlaquin

But a halfling does not need to come out! Any character can shoot through another creatures space (not so through a pillar). The halfling can stay behind his ally and shoot at his enemy. He is only hidden (and therefore unseen) in such a case because of his halfling ability and he remains hidden until he attacks.

This example is not similar to a Rogue popping out from a pillar, it is more like a Rogue shooting through an illusionary pillar. The Rogue is behind an illusionary pillar (say from silent image). He knows the pillar is an illusion and can see the enemy on the other side of it even though the enemy can't see him. The halfling is in the same situation, he can hide behind a human and the enemy can't see him, but he can still see the enemy. The only difference is the enemy has cover in the example with the halfling and he doesn't in the example with the Rogue.
Good point!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Why is an arcane trickster rogue better at DPR than some of the other ones? I don't really care about DPR - my arcane trickster rogue was more about out of combat utility spells than anything - but I've seen a few people say this and was curious what spells make that much of a difference.
Shadowblade, Booming Blade, spells that give multi-round advantage on attacks by disabling the enemy, etc.
Being hidden on the enemy’s turn does literally nothing in the pillar-or-halfling’s-Medium-ally use case under discussion here though.
Sure it does, unless you’re fighting in an otherwise open and featureless plain. There are other allies, other features of terrain, often limited room to flank around an enemy combatant, etc.
And then at higher levels if you can arrange for an opportunity attack it gets devastating.
Higher levels? You can increase your opportunity attacks (and other reaction attacks) as early as level 4.
Treantmonk goes into very high level detail on his baseline. It's been challenged and reviewed in high level detail by many people. It's correct. I think he breaks down his general damage calculations in this video?
“It’s correct.” is a bit too absolute to not be a stretch. It’s useful, it’s easier to grok than a baseline derived from comparative analysis of at least three classes compared to full Spellcasting expressed purely as single target damage, but it isn’t the most accurate possible model or anything.
But ... but ... going to 6th level just to get that extra feat is so tempting! :cautious:

A lot depends on the campaign of course. When I did it I knew we were going to go up to 20th.
LOL yeah I’d probably put that 6th level off until after rogue 11, though.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
“It’s correct.” is a bit too absolute to not be a stretch. It’s useful, it’s easier to grok than a baseline derived from comparative analysis of at least three classes compared to full Spellcasting expressed purely as single target damage, but it isn’t the most accurate possible model or anything.
No I mean he calculated it correctly. Not that it is the "correct baseline to use."

Remove ads