• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogues using scrolls

Thanee

First Post
If the rogue fails to emulate the necessary abilities (required class and ability score), the scroll is not used up.

But if it succeeds, but the caster level is too low, you use the rules from the DMG (under scrolls), when a caster tries to activate a scroll, which has a higher caster level than he or she.

Bye
Thanee

Elvinis75

First Post
Thanee said:
If the rogue fails to emulate the necessary abilities (required class and ability score), the scroll is not used up.

But if it succeeds, but the caster level is too low, you use the rules from the DMG (under scrolls), when a caster tries to activate a scroll, which has a higher caster level than he or she.

Bye
Thanee

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "if it succeeds, but the caster level is too low"?

The use a scroll section does not say anything about caster level?

"Use a Scroll: If you are casting a spell from a scroll, you have to decipher it first. Normally, to cast a spell from a scroll, you must have the scroll’s spell on your class spell list. Use Magic Device allows you to use a scroll as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. The DC is equal to 20 + the caster level of the spell you are trying to cast from the scroll. In addition, casting a spell from a scroll requires a minimum score (10 + spell level) in the appropriate ability. If you don’t have a sufficient score in that ability, you must emulate the ability score with a separate Use Magic Device check (see above)."

Assuming that I have deciphered a scroll already and need to make a roll versus 23 for a base 2nd level spell. I roll a 22. Now what? Does that mean that my caster level is 2 and that I go through the normal process that a mage would when attempting to use a scroll of a level higher than I can cast? I'm really confused!?! Please walk me through this?

Where did you find the ruling that the scroll is not used up if I fail the roll?

Thanee

First Post
If you emulate the class feature you get a caster level equal to your roll minus 20 for that attempt.

So, in your example, you have a caster level of 2 then. For a standard 2nd level scroll you would need 3rd caster level, however.

You are then - for the purpose of reading the (arcane) scroll - a 2nd level wizard and use the (arcane) scroll like every 2nd level wizard would do.

That doesn't hinder you to cast the spell from the scroll. With a roll of at least 20 you have successfully emulated the class feature, but you then have a certain risk when reading the scroll, like every caster who tries to read a scroll of a higher level than he or she is.

Take a look at DMG 3.5 p. 238 for details. The part I'm speaking of is in the top right column.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Elvinis75 said:
Where did you find the ruling that the scroll is not used up if I fail the roll?

You cannot even read it, so it cannot be used up, as you are unable to use the item, if the roll fails to reach 20 at least, otherwise see above.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... after rereading the 3.5 rule they might have actually changed this. :\

It doesn't say anything, anymore, that you can use the scroll, if you do not beat the DC of 20+spell level, but do beat DC 20.

In that case, you actually need to do the roll against the higher DC of 20+spell level, or nothing happens at all, since you couldn't use it (if you do not have the spell on your class spell list, which is what you try to emulate here, you cannot use the scroll at all).

I like the above better, as it makes more sense, but it looks like it doesn't apply to 3.5 anymore. Sorry for the confusion! :D

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Elvinis75

First Post
Thanee said:
You cannot even read it, so it cannot be used up, as you are unable to use the item, if the roll fails to reach 20 at least, otherwise see above.

Bye
Thanee

Thank you for the help! I think that you just saved me about 10 scrolls!

Scharlata

First Post
Elvinis75 said:
What happens when a rogue fails in his attempt to use a scroll?
Does the scroll get used used up?

Hi!

As much as I empathize you keeping your scrolls ;) I like to point out the text in the FAQ (3.5):

Add the text below to page 328 of the DMG:

FAQ said:
If you do not succeed in activating a scroll spell, the spell is not used up. If you suffer a mishap, you activate the scroll and the scroll is wasted*. You lose the spell on the scroll if you fail to make any Concentration check or if you fail any arcane failure roll.

* The MB not long ago discussed this part of the FAQ. You can join the faction that opines you completely waste the entire scroll no matter how many spells remain on the scroll, or you can join the faction that opines you waste only that spell no matter how many spells remain on the scroll.

Kind regards

Remove ads