Pathfinder 2E Ranged rogue

corwyn77

Adventurer
So I'm building a rogue in a melee heavy party. Are there reliable ways to get sneak attack at range. Diversion would work, I guess, if I attack someone different each round. I'm not seeing much else outside of spells.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Thanks, that was helpful. Disappointing, but helpful. I had a concept in mind which included MCing into Wizard or Sorceror but it looks like Ranger/Archer is the way to go. I guess I can still get some magic dabbling through rogue feats themselves.

Lojaan

Hero
Would a ranger work? Rangers are pretty rogue-y, more so if you give them the criminal background, and the are absolute beasts at ranged damage dealing.

corwyn77

Adventurer
The problem is getting sneak attack at range. Demoralize (with Dread Striker) is one per target. Diversion is -4 after the first one (-2 with a Deception feat). And missing out on Debilitation is just painful.

Retreater

Legend
Ranged rogues aren't optimal choices. I've had a few players try a variety of builds. If you can't flank to make an opponent Off Guard and deal your sneak attack, it's not worth it. Otherwise, you're wasting your precious action economy to Feint, Hide, etc., and those aren't even guaranteed.
Ranged damage just isn't as effective in PF2, regardless of your class.

Kaodi

Hero
A big question actually might be: what is your party doing to help you? If you have a party member who can reliably prone targets then at least some of the time you do not need to do anything fiddly to do sneak attack damage. And if they can help with keeping the targets frightened then that helps you with dread striker too. You could also prioritize getting something like incredible initiative and an item bonus to stealth so that you are more likely to go before your enemies in the first round.

corwyn77

Adventurer
A big question actually might be: what is your party doing to help you? If you have a party member who can reliably prone targets then at least some of the time you do not need to do anything fiddly to do sneak attack damage. And if they can help with keeping the targets frightened then that helps you with dread striker too. You could also prioritize getting something like incredible initiative and an item bonus to stealth so that you are more likely to go before your enemies in the first round.
Don't know yet as I haven't joined yet; just looking for ideas. I was thinking ranged as they are pretty melee heavy but there's a rogue feat that allows me to 'flank' as long as there's an ally adjacent, like in 5e. And even without feats, rogues can snipe okay from ambush. Yeah, if someone grapples or frightens, I can go at any range.

GobHag

Explorer
You gotta make sure to have your buddies have a lot of ways to inflict OFF-guard for you to be a ranged rogue(Kineticists with the Ice stance, Trippers, etc, etc)

Remove ads