"Role" Call - What Brings You Here?

Voadam

Legend
I was on the Eric Noah site so I migrated here as a legacy poster.

Back then for me it was all about discussions of the new 3.0, the differences with prior D&D, figuring out the new rules, exploring the new OGL and srd, and discussions of various things D&D and RPG in general. Getting to interact with posters like Gary Gygax who I had never met in person but was really glad I got to interact with a little on here was amazing and I learned a lot from stories on here. I read a lot of the reviews here on new products, and did some too. I later played a bunch of pbp games on here, then did not as life circumstances changed.

I mostly am on here now for discussions on threads of interest for me and posting in things like my threads on RPG sales.

Jahydin

Hero
The lineup of races thing has been pretty standard D&D since 2000 D&D, although Palladium did it in the 80s too.
I've done this sort of comparison before always thinking in my mind how obviously tonally different my two pictures are, but happily surprised with others that don't see it and compare the content instead.

Even in your two example, those illustrations are still worlds apart from the one I showed, even if they share the same basic premise of "different races in a line". :)

Voadam

Legend
@Voadam
Speaking of art, your avatar is awesome. What's if from?
Not sure, I found it just doing an image search for Odin at one point and I liked it. I believe it is a woodcut print.

norse-god-odin-and-wheel-symbol-prints.jpg

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
What brings you here?
I ask myself that every day. Been here since 3.0 (under a different name), and now it's just habit. 🤷‍♂️

I dunno. I'm trying to find ways to remain connected with people outside my home, but either it's not working or I'm really bad at it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I came here from other, darker corners of the Internet. In the mid-2000s, I was searching for cool houserules and fan-created content for my 3.5E D&D game. I had been hanging out mostly on Reddit and RPGnet, but all the negativity and hatred toward D&D on those sites really started to get on my nerves. It's hard for me to engage with a D&D community that actively hates the things that I enjoy...imagine that...

Anyway, I began to look elsewhere, and found the ENWorld community to be friendlier and better-moderated than all others. After lurking for a couple of years, I finally set up an account and I've been here ever since. (Well, mostly. After 4E was released...well, let's just say I didn't spend very much time on any gaming forums for a couple of years.)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I was on the Eric Noah site so I migrated here as a legacy poster.

Back then for me it was all about discussions of the new 3.0, the differences with prior D&D, figuring out the new rules, exploring the new OGL and srd, and discussions of various things D&D and RPG in general. Getting to interact with posters like Gary Gygax who I had never met in person but was really glad I got to interact with a little on here was amazing and I learned a lot from stories on here. I read a lot of the reviews here on new products, and did some too. I later played a bunch of pbp games on here, then did not as life circumstances changed.

I mostly am on here now for discussions on threads of interest for me and posting in things like my threads on RPG sales.
Ditto this. I lurked for several years before posting more regularly during the Edition Wars, mostly to post parodies to hopefully chill folks out and remind us that while we can get passionate, it's still a game.

I'm still hear because of how well this site is moderate, as well as the general civil nature of posters. Oh, and some pbp too!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Talk about D&D and occasionally other RPGs, I guess. I wasted a lot of my free time reading RPG books I never got to play (Fantasy Wargaming? Nephilim? Underground? Exquisite Replicas?), had a huge collection I had shoved under the bed when the opposite sex came over... even if you don't get to play, it's nice to be able to hear someone say "what was that game where they had stats for all the saints?" and go "Fantasy Wargaming!". It's somewhere between literary fiction and chess, and it's not something I can talk about in everyday life.

There are things I don't like, but they're typical of the hobby. You can't go to a football pub and spend all your time whining about how awful football fans are (well, you can, but you'll get knocked on your noggin).

And, this is going to sound dumb, but, having a reaction score higher than my post count (at the present time) is one of the few things I'm actually proud of anymore. (The others are obnoxious to mention.) I have few 'people skills' accomplishments so it's an interesting hint that, maybe, if I'd played my cards differently, things might have gone otherwise.

Remove ads