• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Roleplayed" - My new Short Film! Weeeee!

Menexenus

First Post
Menexenus said:
For some reason, I am getting no sound when I try to play it. I downloaded Quicktime 7.1 just a few weeks ago. When I click Play, I get the pictures, but no sound. (Sound is working for other apps on my computer.)

Any idea why I'm unable to hear it?

I fixed the problem by going into Quicktime Preferences|Audio|Default Music Synthesizer and changing it from Quicktime Music Synthesizer to General MIDI. I don't know why I was having this problem. I can see from the posts in this thread that most people are having no trouble, so it must just be my computer and not your file. But I figured I'd share my solution in case someone else encounters the same problem.

On to the film itself. (You can't post a link to your very own short film on ENWorld and expect to get no criticism! ;) ) Here's what I liked. I thought the film was well-lit, well-shot, well-acted, and I particularly appreciated how well you did with the sound. How many of you out there own "The Gamers" and have strained to hear what the DM is saying every time he talks? For some reason, it seems that people who are filming something for the first time have a lot of trouble recording/mixing dialogue in a way that is easy to understand/hear when it is played back. There was only one line in the entire 15 minutes of your film that I had to strain to hear (and that was probably intentional).

However, I agree with some of the suggestions that others are making in this thread to improve the film. Cut it down from 15 minutes to 5, and eliminate all the creepy incest. It would make the film a lot more punchy and a lot more likeable (thereby also making it funnier).

Best of luck!

CarlZog

Explorer
I found it far more disturbing than funny. The DM didn't resonate with me as any kind of gamer or gamer stereotype I've ever known. He was just a violent freak, and the interaction with the sister was just bizarre. The PSA bit was a good idea, but dragged out too long and didn't really mesh well.

Carl

NiTessine

Explorer
Greylock said:
Place it in a popular gaming forum and make an obligatory post or two elsewhere so that the post is not registered as pure and unaduterated spam? Check.

This is spam, and it is not grandma friendly.
Mmh... would it be somehow more acceptable if it had been posted by a person not associated with the production? At least this way he is here to answer questions and discuss the film.

It's hardly spammy, seeing as it actually brings on-topic content in the forum. And it's not bad content, either. I like this better than Fear of Girls, although the latter being available on Google Videos is a mark in its favour (hint, hint...).

I like it. It is good. I shall show it to my gaming group. They will laugh. The film may even end up quoted in a disruptive manner in the middle of session.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
This is a chinese food movie. I feel gorged while watching it, but afterwards I'm left desiring something with more substance. To carry the analogy further, at least it tasted good, and by that I mean the acting was very good.

Chad Peter

First Post
This is by far the more colorful of the reviews I've been reading (compared to other sites I've posted on). Thanks for all taking the time to check it out.

haha, well, I can say that I did set out to disturb people, or atleast my lead character. The sister is really the only real sick one of the bunch, as she finds her way out and RUNS with it. The two gamers were based on friends of mine... to an extent. Byron, on the couch, was based on a buddy of mine who always makes the HOTTEST elf he can, then ends up only running around town screwing everything that moves. Yeah, he fits the stereotype. Todd, the GM, on the other hand is a bit more of a mix of the rest of my friends (but more of a character than someone based on existing folk). I wanted him to be as serious as possible, and not come off as slapstick or geeky (as I feel every gaming film up to now has cornered its gamers as being).

The film is flawed. I could have spent a lot more time on shortening it down and/or working on the musical score, which I feel needs the most work. The PSA is too long and redundant after a point. The incest, well, is meant to be disturbing. I don't like to spend too much time on a short film, because it gets to the point that too much time passes and too much energy is spent on something that will essentially get me no where as a filmmaker. Lessons learned, techniques tweaks, time to move on. Features, on the other hand, I approach on a very different level. Anyway...

Terwox

First Post
I liked it. The incest stuff was really pretty funny, in my opinion.

This isn't spam.

I think I'd like it better without the, ah, turn at the end. The rest alone would stand... albeit, I'm not sure what it would stand for.

Hussar

Legend
CarlZog said:
I found it far more disturbing than funny. The DM didn't resonate with me as any kind of gamer or gamer stereotype I've ever known. He was just a violent freak, and the interaction with the sister was just bizarre. The PSA bit was a good idea, but dragged out too long and didn't really mesh well.

Carl

This pretty much sums up my reaction. Although, to be fair, I have seen DM's like this. Well, not exactly like this, but, just guys who are a wee bit too intense.

Gotta admit, the bondage bit with the sister threw me sideways though. Was NOT expecting that. Eww. Funny, but... ewwwww.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads