D&D 5E Roleplaying choices for a Tabaxi?

fuindordm

Adventurer
Not strictly BTB, but:

You possess a minor magic item that summons Roomba's Floating Disc for one hour. When you take a short rest, you curl up on the disc and let it carry you around the room in a random pattern.

More seriously:

How about a fighter/rogue that takes the jungle cat hunting style to an extreme? Stealth, athletics, and perception, the Charge feat, devastating initial attacks followed by a grapple...

gyor

Legend
If you're role-playing as a tabaxi in the Forgotten Realms setting, I'd recommend Sharess as a potential deity that you pray to.

I wrote a small entry about Sharess in my Sune lore pamphlet on DMsGuild. It's PWYW so you can donate to support or download freely.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/174401/SUNE-Lady-of-Love--Forgotten-Realms-5e

The Tabaxi worship the Cat Lord not Sharess, the Tabaxi and Sharess didn't even share a plane of existance until the Sundering, because the Spellplague sent Maztica to another world, Abeir, where the Gods have no power.

I can see some of the Tabaxi Refugees what ever is going on in Maztica converting to worshipping Sharess, especially if they end up on in Mulhorand and Calimport.

I thought there might be a link between Sharess and the Cat Lord, but there isn't.

Also it's possible that Sharess isn't a servant of Sune anymore if she decided to join the rest of the Mulhorandi Pantheon in incarnating and Liberating Mulhorand from the Imaskari.

We just don't know because the SCAG doesn't mention her. There is a small mention of Sharess in the Tabaxi article of the Dragon + magazine.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
"There, the tabaxi were presented as worshipers of Bast from the Egyptian pantheon—the cat-goddess revered by numerous cat-beings from D&D lore. (And though there’s a rabbit hole of lore we could fall into regarding the murky connections between Bast and the goddesses Sharess and Shar in the Forgotten Realms, it’s immaterial to the place of the tabaxi in Faerûn because the link between them and Bast was never firm.)"

The above is from the last issue of Dragon + Magazine, it does kind of undermine what he said to me on twitter, I think he probably find that Planescape connection between Bast and Sharess after we talked, I look up what he said to me on twitter.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
"J-Dizzle"

I would love to be in the know so I could laugh with you
Alas I am incredibly behind the times with everything so that one...

Whizzed above my head
I don't know Dizzle live or dead
I live in England with my catz
Eating Kebabz and getting fatz

Seriously. I have no idea about that last post. Sorry for not being hip and groovy and being able to share in the humour.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I would love to be in the know so I could laugh with you
Alas I am incredibly behind the times with everything so that one...

Whizzed above my head
I don't know Dizzle live or dead
I live in England with my catz
Eating Kebabz and getting fatz

Seriously. I have no idea about that last post. Sorry for not being hip and groovy and being able to share in the humour.

Created (supposedly) by E40 and popularized by Snoop Dog, the "-izzle" suffix has been both popular and outdat d for some time.

See:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/-izzle
And:
https://lingojam.com/IzzleTranslator

Though I didn't need to, putting her name into the translator yielded "Jessabizzle Dizzle"

Then, take the equally venerable trend of shortening names to an initial and last name (a la P. Daddy/Diddy)- which may also be abbreviated (Jennifer Lawrence becoming J Law)- and you get "J Dizzle". Or even "J Dizz".

Brainwatch

Explorer
I'd play up the 'Aloof-ness' of the feline. You are doing others a favor by gracing them with your presence. You ignore/disregard anyone trying to tell you what to do (although bribery/trinkets might work). And of course she has a theme song (lyrics will need adjusted for gender)

Stray Cat Strut
Stray Cats

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Black and orange stray cat sittin' on a fence
I ain't got enough dough to pay the rent
I'm flat broke but I don't care
I strut right by with my tail in the air

Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies cat
I'm a feline Casanova, hey man that's that
Get a shoe thrown at me from a mean old man
Get my dinner from a garbage can

Don't go crossing my path

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alleyway looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy"
I wish I could be as carefree and wild
But I got cat class and I got cat style

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alleyway looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy"
I wish I could be as carefree and wild
But I got cat class and I got cat style

Songwriters: Brian Setzer
Stray Cat Strut lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

The Tabaxi worship the Cat Lord not Sharess, the Tabaxi and Sharess didn't even share a plane of existance until the Sundering, because the Spellplague sent Maztica to another world, Abeir, where the Gods have no power.

I can see some of the Tabaxi Refugees what ever is going on in Maztica converting to worshipping Sharess, especially if they end up on in Mulhorand and Calimport.

I thought there might be a link between Sharess and the Cat Lord, but there isn't.

Also it's possible that Sharess isn't a servant of Sune anymore if she decided to join the rest of the Mulhorandi Pantheon in incarnating and Liberating Mulhorand from the Imaskari.

We just don't know because the SCAG doesn't mention her. There is a small mention of Sharess in the Tabaxi article of the Dragon + magazine.

The deity lore series project on my DMsGuild channel is a mix of established canon with new fiction to fill the gaps. The project is meant to add more depth to the faiths of the Realms until a true full Forgotten Realms deities book is published for 5th edition, which may not be for a long time if ever.

I decided to establish Sharess as a big hit among the tabaxi, given the nature of her faith and the description of the tabaxi popular culture in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Remove ads