D&D 5E Roleplaying choices for a Tabaxi?

imdeadagain

Explorer
The main problem with Tabaxi is their nemesis, the red dot of doom, they are destined to chase this dot at their full movement speed, approximately 2000 feet per round if these here forums are to be believed, until exhausted, the Tabaxi will then seek out the sunbeam of healing and spend 12 hours there at a time to recuperate.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

gyor

Legend
The deity lore series project on my DMsGuild channel is a mix of established canon with new fiction to fill the gaps. The project is meant to add more depth to the faiths of the Realms until a true full Forgotten Realms deities book is published for 5th edition, which may not be for a long time if ever.

I decided to establish Sharess as a big hit among the tabaxi, given the nature of her faith and the description of the tabaxi popular culture in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

I understand, that is logical.

"There, the tabaxi were presented as worshipers of Bast from the Egyptian pantheon—the cat-goddess revered by numerous cat-beings from D&D lore. (And though there’s a rabbit hole of lore we could fall into regarding the murky connections between Bast and the goddesses Sharess and Shar in the Forgotten Realms, it’s immaterial to the place of the tabaxi in Faerûn because the link between them and Bast was never firm.)"

The above is from the last issue of Dragon + Magazine, it does kind of undermine what he said to me on twitter, I think he probably find that Planescape connection between Bast and Sharess after we talked, I look up what he said to me on twitter.

I'm not sure what the "murky" is they are talking about there - from 2nd Edition on, it's been stated outright that Sharess is just a name used by Bast after she expanded her worship outside Mulhorand.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I have now swapped out mage hand for prestidigitation for roleplaying reasons and will grab mage hand at 4th instead. I feel Mage Hand is more mechanically useful but all your great comments have convinced me that thematically Prestidigitation is the way for while I'm at 3rd.

I have six or seven weeks before we start this campaign with her so will probably keep swapping things around for awhile.

She has Vicious Mockery and Prestidigitation

Being a debilitator she also has Bane which I think I have a pretty good chance of landing on an enemy or three due to the Charisma save. This will mix well with Cutting Words and VM for Debuffing.

Healing Word, Disguise Self (a Tabaxi will stand out) and Thunderwave to clear away unwanted attention.

For 2nd level spells I have gone with Invisibility and Suggestion.

I am aware that Prestidigitation, Disguise Self, Invisibility and Suggestion have limited combat usefulness and are more for the social/exploration sides of things which I am going to enjoy.

Do folks think this is enough combat orientated spells?
VM, Bane, HW, Thunderwave, and maybe the odd planted Suggestion if Bane is not working.

LarryD

First Post
I have now swapped out mage hand for prestidigitation for roleplaying reasons and will grab mage hand at 4th instead. I feel Mage Hand is more mechanically useful but all your great comments have convinced me that thematically Prestidigitation is the way for while I'm at 3rd.

I have six or seven weeks before we start this campaign with her so will probably keep swapping things around for awhile.

She has Vicious Mockery and Prestidigitation

Being a debilitator she also has Bane which I think I have a pretty good chance of landing on an enemy or three due to the Charisma save. This will mix well with Cutting Words and VM for Debuffing.

Healing Word, Disguise Self (a Tabaxi will stand out) and Thunderwave to clear away unwanted attention.

For 2nd level spells I have gone with Invisibility and Suggestion.

I am aware that Prestidigitation, Disguise Self, Invisibility and Suggestion have limited combat usefulness and are more for the social/exploration sides of things which I am going to enjoy.

Do folks think this is enough combat orientated spells?
VM, Bane, HW, Thunderwave, and maybe the odd planted Suggestion if Bane is not working.

Did you get around to playing J-Dizzle? :) I'm considering allowing Tabaxi in my next HB campaign, and am wondering how it worked for you.

When an old NPC half-elf gravedigger invited the party to wash up at the water barrrel before entering her small home for some tea my daughter (9), playing a Tabaxi Ranger, said her character licked her arms and paws clean. Inspiration was awarded and the hostess let her in anyway.

jgsugden

Legend
Tabaxi are fine and fun. Nobody should hesitate to allow them for fear they'll be disruptive - a player that will make a disruptive tabaxi is not going to be disruptive because it is a tabaxi.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Did you get around to playing J-Dizzle? :) I'm considering allowing Tabaxi in my next HB campaign, and am wondering how it worked for you.

I did!

to level 6. She was great.

Did not need to use the speed bonus, rarely used the claws, climbing was useful a couple of times. The rest was roleplaying. Had fun. Not at all overpowered. Although DV, Stealth and Perception covers a lot. I even offered not to have the 2 skills just to play her.

No issues. Hope your player has fun.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Incorporate the themes you want into her personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw; then play her normally.

The seeds of the traits you planted will come up naturally during play.

Remove ads