WotC Roll for Combat got to try the 3D vtt and he seems to like it. Live streaming now.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah, I think their goal is basically something like a virtual Dwarven Forge, plus miniatures.

[nervously eyes garage shelves full of actual Dwarven Forge and miniatures]
heh...I'm playing in person and on line, so I'm not totally annoyed I spent money on physical stuff (and am currently backing skinny minis KS for terrain, though I may back out, I have SOOOOO much and no job, so, ya?).

Clint_L

Hero
Building on that idea, I can see the sales pitch for this being something like:
1. You get the basic tools with the Master Tier subscription. That's enough to make simple, fairly generic settings.
2. You can separately buy more advanced kits, perhaps through deluxe editions of digital adventure books that include VTT maps.

I can see it being something like Dwarven Forge, where you can buy basic starter kits for not that much, but can also spend money endlessly (trust me) on encounter kits, special terrain, etc. Though I am sure that this will cost much, much less than DF.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
well, we don't, I think, know the long term plans for the VTT......but short term it sure looks like talespire and mirrorscape....both of which will not be happy when this rolls out, IMO.
That's juat what the VTT team has previously said they are trying to do.

Yeah, I think their goal is basically something like a virtual Dwarven Forge, plus miniatures.

[nervously eyes garage shelves full of actual Dwarven Forge and miniatures]

Yeah, I think it's a smart move. Not trying to be better at foundry or r20 in functionally, at least at the beginning.

They can potentially add that stuff later, but I do think there is a niche for slick and easy to use map + miniatures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Professor Dungeon master plays the new VTT. Surprisingly, he was pretty positive about. He seemed to be happy that it has a tactile feel and attempts to simulate how a table top game would work.
Yeah, Stephen Glicker said that Professor Dungeon Master also had a good time.

It seems that the WotC VTT is taking a "digital terrain and minis, no rules integration" approach, which is basically the opposite of the video gamificarion that folks like Glicker and Prof DM were concerned would be happening.

Iosue

Legend
Yeah, Stephen Glicker said that Professor Dungeon Master also had a good time.

It seems that the WotC VTT is taking a "digital terrain and minis, no rules integration" approach, which is basically the opposite of the video gamificarion that folks like Glicker and Prof DM were concerned would be happening.
There’s certainly rules integration. Automated damage resolution and movement limited on the PC’s Move Score being two that Prof. DM mentioned. It’s just that those are relatively normal features for a VTT.

I find myself somewhat perplexed by their surprised pleasure in some pretty banal characteristics. I can only assume that they expected it to be much more video-gamey, perhaps with dice rolls hidden or something. Because they seem surprised that WotC’s 3D VTT…acts like a VTT.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There’s certainly rules integration. Automated damage resolution and movement limited on the PC’s Move Score being two that Prof. DM mentioned. It’s just that those are relatively normal features for a VTT.

I find myself somewhat perplexed by their surprised pleasure in some pretty banal characteristics. I can only assume that they expected it to be much more video-gamey, perhaps with dice rolls hidden or something. Because they seem surprised that WotC’s 3D VTT…acts like a VTT.
I think they were catastrophizing that it would be a garbage- video game that got in the way of a TTRPG experience, so ot being a smooth, seamless experience that facilitated TTRPG play became an inordinately pleasing surprise.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think that's because they had seen an earlier version that didn't have any of that stuff. It looked very different with previous previews. I know with Stephen (from Roll for Combat) he has a lot of VTT experience. I don't think Professor Dungeon Master has as much experience with them.

Remove ads