Roll20 Hits 2 Million Users!

Virtual Tabletop Roll20 has hit a big milestone - 2 million users! The VTT launched in April 2012 with 1,500 users. I asked Roll20's brand manager, Suzanne Wallace, what metric that was, exactly, and she confirmed that that means "The metric is 2 million Roll20 accounts, ever!" That's an astonishing number of users, and goes to show the incredible growth in online gaming. In fact, it's a sizeable percentage of the total number of people worldwide playing, for example, D&D.

Virtual Tabletop Roll20 has hit a big milestone - 2 million users! The VTT launched in April 2012 with 1,500 users. I asked Roll20's brand manager, Suzanne Wallace, what metric that was, exactly, and she confirmed that that means "The metric is 2 million Roll20 accounts, ever!" That's an astonishing number of users, and goes to show the incredible growth in online gaming. In fact, it's a sizeable percentage of the total number of people worldwide playing, for example, D&D.

tumblr_inline_ojwhc1Mb7q1tmt2jn_500.png

Suzanne also added in a blog post that "To grow so large in less than 5 years makes us proud and grateful to our wonderful fans. We look forward to continuing to expand our user base in many years to come! 2016 was a busy year for us. We expanded our team by three amazing people; hosted our first-ever Roll20CON; upgraded the FX tool, the API system, and the Art Library; signed a licensing deal with Wizards of the Coast and released three fully-integrated D&D 5th edition modules; and tons more—it was a blur!"

Roll20 frequently provides its usage reports, and about half the users on the system play D&D 5E.
SaveSave

ddaley

Explorer
Not all of the kickstarter projects (that I have backed) that offer FG support are adventures per se:

* Book of Lairs
* Tomb of Beasts
* Primeval Thule
* Into the Wintery Gale
* Demon Cults and Secret Societies?

Not all of these have been released, and I haven't really used the ones that have been released. So, I cannot vouch for the quality of any of them.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's true. I went over to the FG forum and read a few threads on their work getting Kickstarters squared away.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ming-to-support-Fantasy-Grounds-add-ons/page2

It sounds like Roll20's popularity may arise partly from it's being free and having a tabletop feel.

Do any third-party Kickstarter adventure modules come to mind for having had especially good VTT support?

L R Ballard

Explorer
Not all of the kickstarter projects (that I have backed) that offer FG support are adventures per se:

* Book of Lairs
* Tomb of Beasts
* Primeval Thule
* Into the Wintery Gale
* Demon Cults and Secret Societies?

Not all of these have been released, and I haven't really used the ones that have been released. So, I cannot vouch for the quality of any of them.

I understand. Lots of neat projects on Kickstarter. Thanks again.

Hawkwind

Explorer
Out of these 2 millions users (which is an impressive number), any idea how many unique users log in or play a game in a 30 or 60 day time period? 2 million is an impressive number, I just wonder how many they actually retain (i.e. I know I have an account, but I've never played a game on Roll20).

I don't know about other people but i have 2 accounts on Roll20, one being a kickstarter one from some other VTT roll20 absorbed along the way. I use roll20 for playing at home hence two accounts, with the second account plug into a big TV so i can display images and maps and for play by post games and I have fantasy grounds licence to use for online games as i find fantasy grounds better for complex rule sets

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
As long as we do not get to the point where adventures are only available for VTT...

In any case, R20 has so many bugs, it would be better to focus in stomping those out first before adding more stuff to it. Support for bugs is extremely slow to nonexistent - I see a lot of people never getting any response on the bug forum and waiting for a solution to my own issue for months. So before you shell out money for an upgraded account.read the bug forums closely and see if any of the issues cropping up more or less constantly would hold back your enjoyment.

Remove ads

Remove ads