• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roll20 users; are my impressions right or wrong on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
You are correct; the ban/policy implementation occurred in the public gamers-wanted posting service.

Well, then they are free to set the rules for that service. Players have other forums where they can seek other gamers.

Allowing girls-only game but not allowing any other exclusionary games is common, and I understand the reasons for this, but it is getting more complex. There is an ugly history of first-generation feminists discriminating against transsexuals. I think that it would be easiest to simply not allow the posting of any game that excludes anyone for any reason other than limiting to or excluding children.

MNblockhead

According to the top post on the roll20 subreddit (I went and looked after this post), NolanT has turned moderation over to lfg and removed all roll20 employees from the moderation of the subreddit. Also, all banned users were reinstated. That seems to address the issue.

Seems like the right decision. It won't satisfy some of the rage-addicts in the online mob, but it will help avoid snafus like this in the future.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
My biggest concern with this is the fact that when someone gives you a list of stuff you can do to improve your product your answer to that should not be to ban that person.

As for the ban on Male players, well that just seems like normal discrimination.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
My biggest concern with this is the fact that when someone gives you a list of stuff you can do to improve your product your answer to that should not be to ban that person.

As for the ban on Male players, well that just seems like normal discrimination.

I'll be honest, I'm not very happy with roll20's current development goals. I want a solid VTT, but they're spending lots of cycles developing and testing an RPG I'm not interested in and a character builder I'm also not interested in. I don't use roll20 to build characters, I use it to play. There are some solid quality of life improvements they could make with all of those development cycles.

Now, I understand that the character builder points people to buying sourcebooks on roll20 so they can use them in the character builder, I'm just not interested in this, and I didn't see 'make us a character builder!' anywhere near the top of the requests forum. Still, it's a business model.

MNblockhead

I'll be honest, I'm not very happy with roll20's current development goals. I want a solid VTT, but they're spending lots of cycles developing and testing an RPG I'm not interested in and a character builder I'm also not interested in. I don't use roll20 to build characters, I use it to play. There are some solid quality of life improvements they could make with all of those development cycles.

Now, I understand that the character builder points people to buying sourcebooks on roll20 so they can use them in the character builder, I'm just not interested in this, and I didn't see 'make us a character builder!' anywhere near the top of the requests forum. Still, it's a business model.

I've been trying to decide on a VTT. I want something that I can use for IRL games with the monitor laid on the table, with minis. Basically just need battlemap that I can size to 1"=5' scale and which has fog of war. But I may also be moving, so I also want something that will provide a good online play experience. Fantasy Grounds seems to be better for IRL use, but otherwise seems overall more complicated. Map Tools is touted by a lot of people but it seems like a lot of work to use. Roll20 always seemed the most user-friendly, but not sure how well it would work for IRL use at a table.

Things are developing so fast that I'm just holding off on making a decision until my next campaign.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I've been trying to decide on a VTT. I want something that I can use for IRL games with the monitor laid on the table, with minis. Basically just need battlemap that I can size to 1"=5' scale and which has fog of war. But I may also be moving, so I also want something that will provide a good online play experience. Fantasy Grounds seems to be better for IRL use, but otherwise seems overall more complicated. Map Tools is touted by a lot of people but it seems like a lot of work to use. Roll20 always seemed the most user-friendly, but not sure how well it would work for IRL use at a table.

Things are developing so fast that I'm just holding off on making a decision until my next campaign.

I myself use Maptools because I like doing the coding myself; house rules, custom systems, and the fact I use it for my home games and I don't need all the automation; it's basically a tabletop projector for us. The sheer power to do what I want when I need it makes it the only capable VTT.

For someone who doesn't like the coding though, that's exactly what the community there is for; pretty much a premade campaign file for any major RPG system on the forums, so you don't need to do the coding yourself. I've always found it meeting my needs for online and offline VTT, especially now that they fixed their connectivity issues of the distant past.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

I myself use Maptools because I like doing the coding myself; house rules, custom systems, and the fact I use it for my home games and I don't need all the automation; it's basically a tabletop projector for us. The sheer power to do what I want when I need it makes it the only capable VTT.

For someone who doesn't like the coding though, that's exactly what the community there is for; pretty much a premade campaign file for any major RPG system on the forums, so you don't need to do the coding yourself. I've always found it meeting my needs for online and offline VTT, especially now that they fixed their connectivity issues of the distant past.

I'll take another look at it. A couple years ago I dived deep into making my own maps in Campaign Cartographer, creating my own custom items and monsters and feats in HeroLab, creating my campaign world in Realm Works, etc. But I wasn't really enjoying it after a while. I wanted to focus my prep time on the story. I just don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with software.

MNblockhead

I'll take another look at it. A couple years ago I dived deep into making my own maps in Campaign Cartographer, creating my own custom items and monsters and feats in HeroLab, creating my campaign world in Realm Works, etc. But I wasn't really enjoying it after a while. I wanted to focus my prep time on the story. I just don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with software.

Downloaded and installed. Unusable on a high-DPI display. Normal compatibility setting changes not working and I've already lost patience with it.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
To err is human. To refuse to fess up is presidential.
Fixed it.

Roll20 is a great site. I don't much care if Scott is pissed at them:
[video=youtube;QDydKwmrHFo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDydKwmrHFo[/video]

I want something that I can use for IRL games with the monitor laid on the table, with minis. Basically just need battlemap that I can size to 1"=5' scale and which has fog of war. But I may also be moving, so I also want something that will provide a good online play experience. Fantasy Grounds seems to be better for IRL use, but otherwise seems overall more complicated. Map Tools is touted by a lot of people but it seems like a lot of work to use. Roll20 always seemed the most user-friendly, but not sure how well it would work for IRL use at a table.
Try Roll20. It runs in your web browser, so it's easy to access, which is also good for your players if you start a game with them and then pull up stakes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads