D&D 5E Rolled character stats higher than point buy?

I think the most dramatic difference is that with point buy or array the highest stat you will get is a 15, while 4d6 drop lowest sees 16-18 somewhat frequently. The second source of drama would be 4d6 drop lowest producing moderately to dramatically different results for chararacters at the same table.

Yes, this exactly. 4d6 drop lowest sees a 16 or higher at least 50% of the time, I think closer to 60%.

This is why you see powergamers rolling for abilities in 5E (because rolling has a higher average than point buy) but taking "average" HP per level (because rolling has a lower average than PHB "average").

Celebrim

Legend
Cheating.

1) Did you SEE the person roll the stats? If your answer is "No"....

You are right, but the flow chart from "Yes" looks like the following:

2) Are the results above point buy. If your answer is "Yes", stop, otherwise go to 3.
3) Did the player argue successfully that he had an unfairly bad roll and should be allowed to reroll? Or be allowed to reroll 1's. Or any other sort of reroll. If so, return to 2, otherwise 4.
4) The player now declares the character unplayable and the character is committing suicide or being retired. Return to step 1.

If I got a nickel any time that happened and paid a dollar any time it didn't, I'd still be rich.

I've been playing 30+ years. Rolling stats is just DM approved cheating.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Cheating.

1) Did you SEE the person roll the stats? If your answer is "No"....

Heh. I would accuse the players in my current campaign of cheating... had I not watched them roll their stats. One had two 18s, for Gygax's sake! The dice gods just loved them that day. :D

Yes, this exactly. 4d6 drop lowest sees a 16 or higher at least 50% of the time, I think closer to 60%.

This is why you see powergamers rolling for abilities in 5E (because rolling has a higher average than point buy) but taking "average" HP per level (because rolling has a lower average than PHB "average").

As a powergamer, it's more important to me to be on an even playing field with the other players. As such, I hate hate hate rolling stats. If somebody rolls significantly better than me from pure chance, that bothers me.

Celebrim

Legend
As a powergamer, it's more important to me to be on an even playing field with the other players. As such, I hate hate hate rolling stats. If somebody rolls significantly better than me from pure chance, that bothers me.

The upshot of this is that if you have more than one power gamer in the group, they all start cheating in an escalating fashion because the other guy is doing it and its not fair. For some reason this is seen as less confrontational than pointing out that the guy cheated, even though they pretty soon know for certain that everyone is cheating.

And yes, I've got one in my current group - made up of adults - that I'm pretty sure is cheating his d20 rolls whenever he is stressed.

Satyrn

First Post
Heh. I would accuse the players in my current campaign of cheating... had I not watched them roll their stats. One had two 18s, for Gygax's sake! The dice gods just loved them that day. :D

I, too, rolled two 18s for my current character. And I did not cheat.

Remove ads