• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolling for Ability Scores or Point Buy

What is your preference to generate ability scores

• I'd always have Point Buy if I could.

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • I'd rather have Point Buy if possible.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • I'm okay with either.

Votes: 25 16.2%
  • I'd rather have Rolling if possible.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • I'd always have Rolling if I could.

Votes: 24 15.6%

steenan

Adventurer
I'd never roll for stats when creating a character for a long campaign.

But I also play a lot of one-shots and short (2-3 sessions) stories. And for such games, I prefer rolling - especially when the rolls tell me what kind of character I will play, not only how strong he is (so, something like 4d6 6 times, in order, is perfect).

I don't want to be stuck for a long time with a character I may hate (and don't want to disrupt the game by changing characters mid-campaign). For short games, fun that comes from playing non-typical characters overweights the risk of getting one I won't like.

I like rolling in concept; it works well when:
- You have an informal game without powergamers;
- The system is less dependent on stat breaks
- Inherent lethality is high, or
- Everyone rolls up characters the same time around the table

Practically, I find point buy is preferrable for most campaigns where:
- People create characters off line, on their own, rather than at the table
- The system is more dependent on stat breaks, or
- There's a powergamer in the group to keep up with

So in the end, I tend to favor point buy, or just the default array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

the Jester

Legend
Okay, I'll just tell you I've never seen it happen, and I don't think very many people would actually be happy with the results of fair rolling....

My group is; I'll echo the suggestion that a low stat pc who survives is something to be proud of, and that it's a lot of fun to play a pc with a low stat (I had a great dwarf ranger/fighter/rogue who had a Cha of 5 and got it drained to 3, for instance, and one of my group's favorite pcs was a kobold with Str 1 who was the halfling clan's dog).

Simply:

Method 1: Roll 4D6 six times, keeping the highest Three dice each time. Distribute amongst Six Abilities freely.

Method 2: Distribute 75 points amongst the Six Ability scores freely. No more than 18, or less than 3 in each score.

Method 3: Assign Scores 15, 14, 13, 12, 12, 10, 8 to Six Abilities. Distribute an additional 2 bonus points freely.

Bonus points can then be added due to choice of Race and Class. Hopefully, not that many more bonuses collectively (+/-2's from Race, and extra +1 from Class to a primary stat; Cap of 20 Max).

EDIT: I've just altered Method 3 slightly to avoid Min/Maxing issues. Extra Points just +2, with one 11 score turned into a 12 for consistency. Note that an 'average' 4D6 keep 3 roll is about 12.25, so arguably the point Distribution should be slightly less (about 72), and you could take away the bonus points altogether. Alternatively, stop the awarding of bonus points for Class (and essentially just integrate them into the bonus points already given).

Last edited:

Iosue

Legend
I'm fine with either, but I prefer rolling. It's just part of the ritual of D&D for me, and I miss it in my 4e games.

That said, 4d6-drop-lowest is the farthest I want to go in influencing the bell curve. Some of the other methods I've read about make my eyes glaze over, and I'd rather just do point-buy at that point.

Magil

First Post
I won't even join a game if rolling is required. I don't like my character's stats or ability to perform to be chosen for me, I want to make all the choices consciously and without random chance entering the picture at all.

Of course I'm still fine with rolling dice in play, but in character creation, if there's required rolling for stats or even HP I won't play. It's not just a style that appeals to me. I won't petition the DM to change it though, I'll just move onto another game.

Remove ads