Rope Trick vs. Leomund's Tiny Hut and better.

frankthedm

First Post
3d6 said:
You can't actually dispel rope trick. The target of rope trick is "one touched piece of rope from 5 ft. to 30 ft. long" which you can "pull [...] up into the space", where it is "beyond the reach of spells".
Creatures in the extradimensional space are hidden, beyond the reach of spells (including divinations), unless those spells work across planes.

The window created by the spell is on the material plane.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ropeTrick.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm

3d6

Explorer
Dispel magic can only targeted against "one spellcaster, creature, or object"; rope trick is cast on an object. That object is beyond an "extradimensional interface" across which "spells cannot be cast".

Last edited:

scrubkai

Explorer
3d6 said:
Dispel magic can only targeted against "one spellcaster, creature, or object"; rope trick is cast on an object. That object is beyond an "extradimensional interface" across which "spells cannot be cast".

Can't you just do an area dispel in the area of the material plane where where the window is? (As it is an "ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell")
That does not need to target anything, and as far as I understand would end the spell.

Klaus

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
Yeah, the whole place-to-sleep spells generally suck. Extra-dimensional this and concealment that, when what I'd prefer are spells that conjure defences & eventually battlements.

It would be much cooler to have spells that create cool defensive structures.

Anyway, nevermind...
You should read the novel "In The Claws Of The Tiger", by James Wyatt. The elf wizard simply refuses to sleep in a bedroll (he's venerable), so he keeps Leomund's Secure Shelter prepared. The party simply decides on a campsite and BAM!, a house appears, complete with lockable door and windows. They eventually use it as a fort of sorts.

3d6

Explorer
scrubkai said:
Can't you just do an area dispel in the area of the material plane where where the window is? (As it is an "ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell")
That does not need to target anything, and as far as I understand would end the spell.
For each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to dispel the spell.
The point of origin of rope trick is the rope, so that clause does not allow rope trick to be dispelled, as area effects do not cross the extradimensional interface.
For each ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to end the effect, but only within the overlapping area.
Rope trick is a targeted spell, and does not have an area, so this clause does not allow you to dispel rope trick.

Dispel magic is simply not effective against rope trick. I think this makes rope trick too safe a shelter for a 2nd level spell, but that does seem to be the rule.

IanB

First Post
3d6 said:

Actually, dispel magic can target a specific spell:

SRD said:
Targeted Dispel
One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell.

So, if you can see the door, you can dispel the rope trick spell.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
So right now all I'm seeing is that it is a arguably dispellable and arguably not a place to rest in.

It is simply a crate to hide in until the crisis you're hiding from goes away.
To me that would make it 2nd level.

TheGogmagog

First Post
I have to admit, at first the argument you can't sleep in it sounded dubious. But it's starting to grow on me. (see Dcollin's post #25) I'm a big fan of pointing out you can fit more than one medium creature into a 5x5 space, you just can't fight effectively. So I could easily see the rope trick as a 5x5 where you can squeeze 8 people. That would still present the problem of one person (per trick). But that represents a larger investment for multiple people, and still rules out large creatures.

I also think you can still target the spell effect with dispel magic from the prime plane. It's a mute point though as if you are capable of detecting it (detect magic, see invisibility, blindsight or the mundane methods) let alone dispelling it you are capable of setting up an ambush.

In another discussion one of our group mentioned it used to be higher (3rd?) level, but I don't know what edition. Even at 4th, it would be better than Secure Shelter.

PS Private Sanctum PPS If area 30' cube is 30'x30'x30' then your range limits the area until epic levels. The 30' cube would still come into play when shaping it though. It's not true if they meant 30 cubic feet, but I don't think that's the D20 convention.

Last edited:

pallandrome

First Post
Sure, it MIGHT be able to house a few characters for a night, but what about STYLE? Which would you rather spend the night in, a featureless hole in the sky, or an extradimensional mansion? Rope trick be damned!

Remove ads