Roscoe M. Toscobble: Luck Vs. Spellcasting

John Little

First Post
tl;dr - Battle Sorcerer removes some already limited spell options, but I'm not really focused on spells anyway. What would you do?

Hey all, I'm trying to optimize a character around using as many of the game's luck options as I can (and trying to use magic that seems "lucky" in one way or another.) Apart from Dallah Thaun's Luck, just about all my feats will be Luck Feats from Complete Scoundrel, and I'm planning on taking the Divine Sorcerer alternate class feature that trades away a few spells for a cleric domain (naturally I'll be taking the Luck Domain.) I'm trying to weigh whether or not I want to alter the Sorcerer even more in the name of "more luck", or if I want to keep more magic available.

Basically, my classes are Sorcerer, Luckstealer, Fatespinner and, of course, Fortune's Friend. With a standard Sorcerer, I can only start entering classes at level 7 after I've taken 6 levels of the class. I'm thinking a 20 level build would probably look like Sorcerer 6/Fortune's Friend 5/Luckstealer 4/Fatespinner 5 (not necessarily in that strict order.) However, if I made it Battle Sorcerer instead of regular Sorcerer, I could meet all the prerequisites at level 5... though at the expense of more spells and getting rid of bluff as a class skill (which sort of feels like it's meant for the character, you know?) So... if you were doing this, would you dump the spells for "more luck, faster"? Or would you keep the firepower since the game's probably not gonna get to level 20 anyway?

(Oh, and any suggestions for how to build the character at level 10? So far I'm thinking Sorcerer 6/Luckstealer 2/Fortune's Friend 2, but I'm not sure if that'll optimize my "fun potential.")

Thanks in advance!

Nagol

Unimportant
Have you looked at Beguiler (PHB II)? If it were me, I'd ask to take Domain Granted Power (Complete Champion) at 5th or 10th and lose the metamagic feat normally received (just as a Wizard would).

It's a spontaneous caster with Bluff skill focused on illusion and enchantment.

John Little

First Post
Have you looked at Beguiler (PHB II)? If it were me, I'd ask to take Domain Granted Power (Complete Champion) at 5th or 10th and lose the metamagic feat normally received (just as a Wizard would).

It's a spontaneous caster with Bluff skill focused on illusion and enchantment.

It's a good thought but the GM's kinda new, and her players are newer, so I'm trying to avoid asking her for special exceptions.

Remove ads