• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Book Club (Now with contest!!)

Crothian

First Post
Would people be interested in something like this?

Basically each month an RPG book would be picked to be read and played and discussed. The book would be something current and in print since it would have to be something people could get a hold of. A book that is in print and PDF would really be most ideal. Books like Keep on the Shadowlands and the 4e PHB though would not be picked. There will already be a dozen threads on these books. This would involve books a little less popular. Some will turn out to be great and some will not. Thoughts?

Contest: I have selected what the June book will be. If someone can guess it I will buy them a free copy of the PDF. One guess per person. Guesses must be made before Friday Midnight EST. I will announce the winner when I get back from New York and get that person a free copy of the PDF. First person to guess it wins, so don't guess what someone else has already guessed. If I see someone has guessed it early I will end the contest and declare that person the winner.

Hints:
Came out at Gen Con 2007 (Or so I believe)
Costs less then $20 print, PDF is less then $10
Is in print and PDF format
Not made be Wizards of the Coast

Bold your guesses so I don't miss them. I'm old and the eyesight is not what it used to be :D

Guesses
Aus_Snow: Savage Worlds, Explorer's Edition
jdrakeh: Keep on the Shadowfells
hornedturtle: 4ed players handbook
bento: Dungeon Crawl Classic #50: Vault of the Iron Overlord.
shaylon: IRON AGE for M&M.
mark_gedak: Secrets of Pact Magic
Voadam: Dark Wings Over Freeport
Psion: Fear Itself
scholar: amethyst

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:
Would people be interested in something like this?

Basically each month an RPG book would be picked to be read and played and discussed. The book would be something current and in print since it would have to be something people could get a hold of. A book that is in print and PDF would really be most ideal. Books like Keep on the Shadowlands and the 4e PHB though would not be picked. There will already be a dozen threads on these books. This would involve books a little less popular. Some will turn out to be great and some will not. Thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea, though like library book clubs, I do not think that it need be limited to new material (plenty of OOP stuff is very easy to find at reasonable prices).

Crothian

First Post
With many books going PDF it does make it easier to get older material. But I just wanted to put it out in the first post that the RPG books have to be easily purchased for the people that want to participate.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:
With many books going PDF it does make it easier to get older material. But I just wanted to put it out in the first post that the RPG books have to be easily purchased for the people that want to participate.

Oh, my bad. That makes perfect sense.

FraserRonald

Explorer
This definitely interests me, but I'm a little leery. Last time I was involved in an EN World Book Club I ended up paying good money for Dragondoom. This time around, if it's something I'm interested in or maybe was planning on buying anyway, I'll definitely participate.

Cool idea.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
FANTASTIC idea. Sign me up. I thought of this a while back but didn't have the faith to post. I will participate in this.

-DM Jeff

scholar

First Post
interested, but not on a constant basis... one of those if I'm already interested, or get interested based on the first few posts, I'll participate

however, I'm ont around enw all that much nowadays(as if I was ever) so I make no promises of noticing each month when it goes up:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads