RPG characters with names derived from...

Nytmare

David Jose
A friend of mine named his character back in the late 80's after his then favourite computergame (spelled backwards). The character Loohcs Tabmoc.

I had a DM when I was in college who was very proud of the fact that he had named all of his DMPCs with backwards store names. The paladin brothers Tram Law and Tram K, Tegrat the monk, Sraes the bard, Synnep (but you can call me CJ) the mage. Acted like it was the wittiest thing ever.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I had a DM when I was in college who was very proud of the fact that he had named all of his DMPCs with backwards store names. The paladin brothers Tram Law and Tram K, Tegrat the monk, Sraes the bard, Synnep (but you can call me CJ) the mage. Acted like it was the wittiest thing ever.
Unfortunately he created the Bankruptcy Band inadvertently all those years ago. Who knew what was coming?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
In my years I have seen....

A cleric named Metamucil.
An elf named Shi' Thead.
A dwarf named Felsenkov Berghammern (rough translation from German for Rockhead Mountainhammerer)
A wizard named Gotterdamurung Lederhosen (with a horse named Gesundheit and a familiar named Haagendazs)
A lardy bard named Splard.
A Marvel Superheros character named "Supermarvin with an exclamation point and a star" (You had to say the whole thing)

And finally, in direct answer to the OP, one of our players is a nurse and he brought a list of medication names to the table for NPC use. Almost half the names have an X in them, and most X names are great for bad guys.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
In an ancient obsolete rpg called Hunter Planet, I played Max Damage, the Combat Wombat.

My recent favourite is my gnomish necromancer: Talus von Baculum.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looking in one of my files...

RADIOSHAQ: this version of Shaquille O’Neal from an alternate dimension retired from the NBA after a dose of cosmic radiation gave him super powers.

LAD ZEPPELIN: can fly by inflating himself like a zeppelin, then rapidly deflate himself, becoming a deadly, gravity-driven smart bomb.

MANUEL DES PLAINS: hispanic dude from Illinois who fell through a dimensional rift

VIN ANGLAIS: a bard with a taste for unusual wines. His cousin, AL COHOL, is his most common drinking buddy.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
A few named after places

Marrakesh - Arabian style Tabaxi Storm Sorcerer
Havana - Halfling Detective Rogue (complete with cigar)

Cities and Countries give you thousands of names to work with

Li Shenron

Legend
A few named after places

Marrakesh - Arabian style Tabaxi Storm Sorcerer
Havana - Halfling Detective Rogue (complete with cigar)

Cities and Countries give you thousands of names to work with

We've done the same lots of times... when a player doesn't have an idea for a name, I tell them to check the basic PHB suggestions or look at the map of a country with a language they don't speak.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I had a plan for a 4Ed Dragonborn PC that was inspired by the scholar Ahmad ibn Fadlan, so his background was Arabic/Islamic. While not actually a product, I drew his name from a list of stars discovered by Arabic astronomers, with the naming conceit/rule being ALL of the members of his family did likewise. And of being Islamic, their faith centered on Bahamut. So...

RIGEL IBN AZIMECH, MOST FAITHFUL SERVANT OF RADIANT BAHAMUT: Hybrid Paladin (Cha build)/Sorcerer (Cosmic)|(MC: Starlock)

Never got to play him.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
We've done the same lots of times... when a player doesn't have an idea for a name, I tell them to check the basic PHB suggestions or look at the map of a country with a language they don't speak.
My Dwarf characters are named after making a trip to the library to look at an atlas of Scandinavia. Towns and villages and small cities in a language you don't speak, offer names that sound both exotic and real.

Remove ads