RPG characters with names derived from...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...Pharmaceuticals and dietary supplement product names!

(Edit: or other RW products.)

1) I played a Half-Orc bounty hunter (Ranger with humanoid favored enemies) named Klor-Kon, just changing a “C” to a “K”. (Klor-con is a dietary supplement used to treat low potassium.)

2) Designed but did not play an Elf Enchanter named Ambien (a sedative).

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yes. My buddy had a ranger/magic-user elf named ‘Prozac’ back in the early 90s.

we were still playing 1e and I believe were using expanded multiclass rules perhaps from dragon? Some sort of update to unearthed arcana.

Dioltach

Legend
OGC.gif

Ulfgeir

Hero
I haven't done it, and if I were to do it in my current group there are at least 2 players that would catch on. One is a doctor, and the other an apotecharie, and some of the others are on various meds)...

Nytmare

David Jose
Probably one of my favorite derived character team ups was Dirty Deeds and the Thunder Chief, a hand crossbow wielding, goblin assassin and buff-spell druid patterned after T Hawk of Street Fighter fame. It lead to the other players in the campaign attempting to adopt similarly themed rock n' roll lyric inspired characters, but none of them had the staying power of the original duo.

The idea sprang from the actual misunderstood lyrics that my sister and I had had of the song as kids. We both have uncanny fake memories of an early 80s cartoon of the same name that we convinced ourselves existed. My guess is that we cobbled together a handful of random He-man, Lonestar, and god only knows what other animated TV show memories and our adolescent brains didn't know the difference.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone else?

Pharmaceuticals, no.

However, old-time names for animal diseases is full of inspiration. Someday, I'll have an evil spellcaster NPC named "Fistulous Withers"...

I am currently playing a character whose name is taken from Linnaean taxonomy - a lizardfolk barbarian named "Smok Gekkota".

("Smok" is the name for a now extinct clade of semi-crocodillians that waked around on two legs, and is also apparently Polish for "dragon". And "Gekkota" is the clade that includes current geckos).

Last edited:

Remove ads