RPG Crowdfunding News – Dangerous Destinations, Out of the Ashes, Babes in the Woods, and more

This week I get into RPG crowdfunding projects that end in early February; however, there are a few late January quickstarters that I slipped in. As has been the case the past few weeks, I’m not able to cover all of the RPG crowdfunding projects out there, but I manage to find some interesting options that I hope you’ll enjoy.

This week I get into RPG crowdfunding projects that end in early February; however, there are a few late January quickstarters that I slipped in. As has been the case the past few weeks, I’m not able to cover all of the RPG crowdfunding projects out there, but I manage to find some interesting options that I hope you’ll enjoy.

Dangerous Destinations.PNG

Dangerous Destinations Hardcover or PDF for any Fantasy RPG! from Nord Games
  • END DATE: Thu, February 11 2021 3:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $60 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book plus the digital map pack
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This book helps GMs craft unique destinations through charts and discussions that detail the place, its environment, and the danger that awaits. Add NPCs and antagonists, and you have adventures or, at your discretion, a full campaign. Nord Games’ Kickstarter is both the sequel to, and antithesis of, their earlier project, Spectacular Settlements. Whereas Spectacular Settlements kept you in civilization, this book offers guidance, tables, and intriguing hooks for how to build the wide spaces that your characters roam.

MÖRK BORG CULT- HERETIC.jpg

MÖRK BORG CULT: HERETIC from Free League Publishing, Ockult Örtmästare Games, and Stockholm Kartell
  • END DATE: Fri, January 29 2021 1:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: SEK 500 + S/H for the book, GM screen, and boxed set in PDF and print
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The core MÖRK BORG rulebook is the winner of four ENnie Awards and this campaign expands on that grimdark, black metal game experience. If you’re like me you love MÖRK BORG, but prefer a print copy because the layouts take advantage of the structure of a print book to maximize the visual experience. Like their last zine, MÖRK BORG CULT: FERETORY, this one gathers free community content in one location. In addition, the Kickstarter offers a GM screen and a boxed set with four lost gods of this world. If you’ve tried MÖRK BORG already, this project likely whispers to you.

Corpsewake Cove for Mörk Borg.png
Corpsewake Cove for Mörk Borg from Ember + Ash
  • END DATE: Thu, January 28 2021 11:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 + $4 US S/H for the PDF, POD, and print versions of the
  • NOTE: This offering is created under MÖRK BORG’s Third Party License. Nothing wrong with that, just want to be clear how this zine is different from the official release above
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Pirates and MÖRK BORG! The OSR that’s rapidly become one of the most prominent options in OSR is getting a third party adventure where you fight pirates, get revenge, and steal what they have, all before the world ends. This 32-page zine includes NPCs, monsters, reasons you’re seeking revenge, multiple maps, a d100 pirate treasure table, and more. If you need artpunk pirates, try out this zine.

Out of the Ashes.jpg

Out of the Ashes from Paul Mitchener
  • END DATE: Wed, February 10 2021 7:17 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 for the PDF of the rulebook
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In this 200 to 300 page original fantasy RPG, you are one of the survivors of a war that destroyed much of the land and nearly all of the civilizations. The land was corrupted in the war, tainted monsters and the remnants of the enemy’s army await. While you have magic at your call, the world is devastated leaving your work cut out for you. In the aftermath, you work to rebuild the world and restore society to its former grandeur.

Babes in the Wood RPG (2nd Edition).png

Babes in the Wood RPG (2nd Edition) from World Champ Game Co.
  • END DATE: Sat, February 6 2021 5:49 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $26 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This all-ages Powered by the Apocalypse RPG lets you play as kids and animals wandering an endless forest during Halloween. You’ll journey through the forest, encountering the folk that live outside of time there or the embodiment of fear that haunts the wood. While this game allows for a GM, the rules include a GM-less option. If you need a Halloween based PbtA game, this may speak to you.

Paper Apps™ DUNGEON.png

Tiny Paper Dungeons from Tom Brinton
  • END DATE: Tue, February 2 2021 12:00 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Dungeon crawler
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 + $5 US S/H for 2 game pads, a pencil, and a d6
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Using a 3 by 5 inch spiral bound memo pad, a pencil, and a d6, you get a complete dungeon crawl on each page. Open the book to a dungeon, roll a d6 to see how far you go, draw a line showing your route, and encounter what you encounter along the way. Each 50-page pad will have unique dungeons as the products are randomly generated, so getting more than one pad adds to the dungeon options.

Land of the Rising Sun.png

Land of the Rising Sun from Brittannia Game Designs
  • END DATE: Sun, January 31 2021 6:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Chivalry & Sorcery 5th Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £45 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover versions of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: The creator of this project, Steve Turner, works as EN Publishing’s accountant when not creating RPGs. This project is not an EN Publishing product
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign brings Lee Gold’s 1980 C&S 1e sourcebook, Land of the Rising Sun, to C&S 5e. Lee Gold and cultural consultants, Yuki Ishida and Kana Onishi, update the setting for the newest ruleset. At 320 pages, expect the same level of production as other C&S 5e books.

Arcana Familia - the esoteric cyberpunk rpg Expanded Edition.jpg

Arcana Familia - the esoteric cyberpunk rpg Expanded Edition from Aurora Torchia
  • END DATE: Sat, February 6 2021 11:44 AM EST.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €14 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Cyberpunk, occult worlds, dark technology, and a system based on blackjack. This world offers a future in which some of the Earth is united under an immortal ruler, the religion is not one that exists today, and you fight the strangeness that is creeping into this world. This is the second edition of this game, improving on the original with new graphics and powers. If you’re interested, the campaign page offers a free quickstart for you to test the system out.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Oryzarius

Strigiform Storyteller
Supporter
What about Steve Jackson Games’ GURPS Pyramid Scheme? Since GURPS uses real-world units, many of the articles and ideas in the three PDF magazine issues will be generally applicable to a variety of campaigns and systems. The Kickstarter is already funded, and racing towards the last few stretch goals, with several days left to go in the week-long campaign.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Zinequest 3 is coming... I figure the next couple ones of these may have many new crowdfunds.

And here's some enterprising soul who decided to capture as many as they could into blog form.

(edited to add: My wallet hates them)

What about Steve Jackson Games’ GURPS Pyramid Scheme? Since GURPS uses real-world units, many of the articles and ideas in the three PDF magazine issues will be generally applicable to a variety of campaigns and systems. The Kickstarter is already funded, and racing towards the last few stretch goals, with several days left to go in the week-long campaign.

Excellent call out. I missed this one due to the timing, I did not get a chance to include this. However, I did interview the creators behind it at d20 Radio (here). :)

Zinequest 3 is coming... I figure the next couple ones of these may have many new crowdfunds.

And here's some enterprising soul who decided to capture as many as they could into blog form.

(edited to add: My wallet hates them)

I am getting requests left and right for February coverage. It's going to be a big month. :)

Do look out for the OUR SHORES digital zine KS next time Egg, it's an RPGSEA project with three great-looking new games from Southeast Asia, published by Sandy Pug Games!

Full disclosure: I'm one of the stretch goal creators. :)
Thank you for sharing this, I'll see if I can work it in. ;-)

Remove ads

Remove ads