RPG Crowdfunding News – Monty Python, Paranoia, M&M and More

This week, I look are RPG crowdfunding projects that end between November 18 and 27. The big guns are here: Python, Paranoia, and Mutants & Masterminds. In addition, there are some other great games coming to your gaming table.

Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme.jpg

Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme from Exalted Funeral
  • END DATE: Fri, November 18 2022 10:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $65 + S/H for the PDF and print book plus dice
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I’m going to suggest RPG heresy: That a game might have ever stood as tall as D&D in the 1980s or 90s. There was a time in the 1980s and 1990s where a Monty Python RPG might have changed the history of gaming. If the version of the game they’re showing here dropped during those early days when every fantasy gaming session had to block out 90 plus minutes for Monty Python quotes, Monty Python's Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme might have challenged Dungeons & Dragons for the crown. This is speculation so we’ll never know, but in my early days of slinging dice, you had to recite the entire Holy Grail and some mis-attributed Benny Hill during the game to fit in. I feel that crowd of gamers would have bought these books as fast as they could be printed. If the game was outstanding, we might talk about those days by mentioning D&D and Python in the same breath. That isn’t to say this game missed its window, it has not; instead, it’s finding an audience in the here and now. If you’re a fan and you want to relive the best of Python, this is the perfect book to use for your campaign.

Paranoia RPG - The Perfect Edition.jpg
Paranoia RPG - The Perfect Edition from Mongoose Publishing
  • END DATE: Sun, November 27 2022 10:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Paranoia
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £125 (free shipping) for both of the PDFs and hardcovers, the dice, the softcover book, and treason cards
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Gamers beware! Paranoia is back. Again. For more. This time, it’s revenge. But not for the final revenge. Probably. This is THE Paranoia Perfect Edition. More perfect than the last edition. Less perfect than the next edition. Your party members are out to get you! Because! So, get them first! Because! Don’t trust the GM! The rules are lies! Bring down the system! For money! This campaign features two books and another one plus treason cards! But you didn’t hear that from me. If you need perfect paranoia at your gaming table, you need Paranoia Perfect Edition.

Plants Nowhere to be Found - Hardcover edition.jpg

Plants Nowhere to be Found - Hardcover edition from Trent Holbrook
  • END DATE: Sun, November 20 2022 10:15 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$61 + AU$23 S/H to the US for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 112 pages of descriptions, spells, notes, illustrations, and photos about plants. This book is meant to inspire odd fauna encounters during your gaming night. Take ideas from it to blend into your world. This artbook offers some original concepts to inspire you and your players; if that interests you, check out the campaign page for more details.

Witch- Fated Souls Second Edition.jpg

Witch: Fated Souls Second Edition from Angry Hamster Publishing
  • END DATE: Mon, November 21 2022 10:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Afterlife: Wandering Souls
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €40 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY REVIEW: You can read my review of the Witch: Fated Souls 2e Quickstart here
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In this RPG, you play a Fated, an individual that sold their soul to a demon for powers (spells, rituals, and more). In a world that has elements of Sabrina, Supernatural, and Vampire: The Masquerade, you have the power to change the society, fight the supernatural, and to travel between dimensions. At the same time, there are social rules that protect you from a society would would condemn your literal devil’s bargain. This RPG is the second addition, taking the setting and combining it with a proven engine from Afterlife: Wandering Souls. As you game, you’ll work to try to regain your soul while dealing with the supernatural world. This is urban fantasy done with style, and if you’re interested check out the quickstart and the campaign to learn more.

Mutants & Masterminds Reprint Extravaganza and More!.jpg

Mutants & Masterminds Reprint Extravaganza and More! from Green Ronin Publishing
  • END DATE: Tue, November 22 2022 11:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Reprints and more
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $100 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the 6th printing of the Deluxe Hero’s Handbook, Gadget Guides, and Power Profiles
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Any holes in your Mutants & Masterminds collection? Green Ronin is offering a chance to fill them at their current price, before inflation drives the MSRP up. M&M is one of the most beloved superhero RPGs as witnessed by the core book’s multiple printings. Because they’ve sold the last of their fifth printing and run out of other M&M books, they’re conducting this campaign to reprint those and offer new fiction to go with them. If you’re interested in superhero RPGs, this is worth exploring. Again, if you buy now, you get these at the 2022 price, before the 2023 print points begin.

Shipwrecks of the Astral Sea- The Abbey Oak.jpg

Shipwrecks of the Astral Sea: The Abbey Oak from Jerry Joe Seltzer
  • END DATE: Wed, November 23 2022 10:11 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of the adventure and maps
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? An asteroid near your Spelljammer catches your eye. With trees, a crashed ship, and exposed blue crystals along its surface, you’re expecting something profitable, but what you find is a mystery. This is a space exploration for levels 6 to 8 with maps, tokens, and artwork for the players to check out. If you’re looking for Spelljammer adventures, this is worth checking out.

Vermilium.jpg

Vermilium from White Witch Games
  • END DATE: Thu, November 24 2022 11:02 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Campaign setting
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £30 for the PDF and POD versions of the book, tokens, cards, GM screen, and more
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Vermilium Jumpstart is free at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? High fantasy and weird west using the Savage Worlds system. This is a world that’s moved on, the setting reads like The Dark Tower series or The Sword of Shannara series, you’re in a world that failed during its industrial age as magic and fantasy arose. Now, it’s back around to a near-Western level as you adventure, hunt bounties, gamble, and everything else you would in a world of elves and outlaws. If you’re interested, check out the jumpstart and the campaign page.

gutter_PVNKS - A CY_BORG Supplement.jpg

gutter_PVNKS | A CY_BORG Supplement from Christian Eichhorn
  • END DATE: Sat, November 26 2022 11:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): CY_BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €16 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This RPG zine gives you more for your CY_BORG campaign. The city of Cy awaits with its NPCs, locations, and adventures, all shared in this zine. You’ll get two classes (the Broke CEO has got to be a trip), PVNKS, and 48 pages of content to spring on your gaming table. If you’re a fan of cyberpunk RPGs, this supplement is perfect for your CY_BORG campaign.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Dire Bare

Legend
The huge bundle of M&M books is still available over on DriveThruRPG.com, but the price jumped from $25 to $75. Still a great deal.

I'm a huge fan of a lot of Green Ronin's stuff, the updated Book of the Righteous and the Book of Fiends. I've always enjoyed Blue Rose, but never have gotten around to playing it.

I hope the idea that they are struggling as a company is just speculation and rumor and not based on anything real. It is effectively a one-man operation however, if Chris Pramas ever needs to step back, that might be the end of the company.

Dire Bare

Legend
This has to be the fifth or sixth D&D or generic book I've seen on Kickstarter about plants or fungi in the past two years. Who knew there was such a large under-serviced market for that?
It's like Hollywood. Companies tend to try and copy success (or perceived success) rather than innovate and try something new. And of course, sometimes it is just a coincidence . . . great minds think alike . . .

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
At least two of M&M's more recent releases - the Time Traveler's Codex and the Super Team Handbook were not compilation collections. They've been doing that for a long time though going back to the Gadget Guide years ago.

I think the biggest problem with this Kickstarter specifically though is that there is no new material in it. No new game material anyway, and it's going to be a challenge to convince people to go "extra" when the stretch goals are just more books that already exist. Couple that with the likelihood that their most ardent supporters probably already have all or most of these books and it's a tricky situation.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I think the biggest problem with this Kickstarter specifically though is that there is no new material in it. No new game material anyway, and it's going to be a challenge to convince people to go "extra" when the stretch goals are just more books that already exist. Couple that with the likelihood that their most ardent supporters probably already have all or most of these books and it's a tricky situation.
But there is new content being offered! Game fiction! Everybody's favorite thing in every game book it's ever been in!

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Jaeger

That someone better
I wonder if other less complicated super hero games are taking their spot? Sentinel Comics, Masks PbtA, Claim the Sky, Icons, BASH, City of Mist, etc seem to have some traction in the TTRPG world.
I tried to like M&M in the various editions, but I didn't want to deal with huge list of Feats, and it never seemed to get substantially better.

I think that this is a bigger factor than many are willing to admit.

In my opinion, crunch really needs to pay off at the table if you are making a game more complicated than 5e.. Shadowrun 6 failed to do this, and landed with a thud.

I also don't think that the AGE system based games have done what GR needed it to do.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I also don't think that the AGE system based games have done what GR needed it to do.
Building your own system potentially means you're no longer subject to the whims of the next generation of leadership at WotC -- something especially appealing for anyone publishing during the 3E/3.5 transition. But it relies on that other system being a big hit. Obviously, it did well enough for Green Ronin to do a bunch of different AGE books, but it never caught Pathfinder and even Paizo is now toying with 5E books, suggesting that these alternatives may be finding things a bit harder during a popular D&D edition.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if other less complicated super hero games are taking their spot? Sentinel Comics, Masks PbtA, Claim the Sky, Icons, BASH, City of Mist, etc seem to have some traction in the TTRPG world.
I tried to like M&M in the various editions, but I didn't want to deal with huge list of Feats, and it never seemed to get substantially better.
It's funny because when M&M 1e came out I remember being happy to see a point-buy superhero game that wasn't nearly as complex as Champions. 2e and 3e both simplified it, but now I don't think I'd run it - I'd run Icons[*] over M&M every time now because M&M is just too fiddly. Just shows how the environment has changed since '02.

[*] Amusing to me, another Steve Kenson design. I do like his work.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases