RPG Crowdfunding News – Planegea, Kalymba, Girl Genius, and more

This week, I look at some of the RPG crowdfunding projects that end between November 5th through the 21st. I review some original systems, 5e content, GURPS, and more including a new Dragonlance homage novel from DL legend, Richard A. Knaak.

Planegea- The Prehistoric 5th Edition Campaign Setting.png

Planegea: The Prehistoric 5th Edition Campaign Setting from Atlas Games
  • END DATE: Thu, November 18 2021 5:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $125 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book, GM screen, and lair as well as a slipcase, a soundtrack, and an adventure book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Who wants to fight a dinosaur? Because Atlas Games is bringing you a prehistoric fantasy world using 5e rules in which you fight dinosaurs. No civilization. No nations. Just the roots of magic, simple weapons, ground level gods, and dinosaurs waiting for you to tell Primal tales about. If you need a world of thunder lizards from one of the better known gaming publishers, check out the campaign page to get a free peak at the project.

Suburban Consumption of the Monstrous.jpg

Suburban Consumption of the Monstrous from Pelgrane Press
  • END DATE: Thu, November 18 2021 12:16 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £30 + S/H for the
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Banana Chan, Sadia Bies, and Pelgrane Press are mixing up RPG and LARP with this project. This book provides several horror themed games set in suburbia and centered around food and consumption. Offered as a collection of solo and multiplayer games, these games range from character exploration to social encounters and more. The games are horror content from a ghost trying to communicate with you through your TV to darker and darker content. These games come with multiple safety tools so you can enjoy them without them getting without events becoming uncomfortable. If this concept interest you, there’s a link on the campaign page to a free preview on itch.io.

Raiders of the Serpent Sea- 5th Edition Roleplaying Book.png
Raiders of the Serpent Sea: 5th Edition Roleplaying Book from Arcanum Worlds Canada
  • END DATE: Sat, November 20 2021 9:58 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$72 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both books
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Raiders of the Serpent Sea: Player's Guide – FREE is free at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This 250-page adventure offers a Norse-inspired odyssey as your characters go from 1st to 10th level. You start the campaign as raiders so think longships and adventures in the sea. From there, the tale aims for epic scope as you defeat challenges that even the gods couldn’t overcome. Beyond the adventure, there are 15 new monsters, 20 magic items, new ancestries, subclasses, and more. This project is from the lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins and Neverwinter Nights, Brent Knowles, so expect a high level of polish from this project.

Kalymba- The Roleplaying Game.png

Kalymba: The Roleplaying Game from Craftando Games
  • END DATE: Thu, November 18 2021 11:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and print of the core book plus PDFs of the other books and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign will translate the Brazilian RPG, Kalymba, into English. Inspired by the cultures and mythologies of Africa, this game offers a fantasy world of sword and soul. Coming out as multiple books, you’ll get everything you need from rules to setting to adventures and inspiration for this campaign. This Kickstarter offers Kalymba’s core book, which is over 330 pages of rules, Cursed Tales is an 180-page sourcebook designed for players that want to participate in villainous campaigns, and, in addition, there are adventures and short stories to flesh out the setting. If you’re looking for an original African inspired fantasy world and system, check this one out.

Book of Ebon Tides- 5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadow.png
Book of Ebon Tides: 5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadow! from Kobold Press
  • END DATE: Wed, November 17 2021 7:00 PM EST.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $78 + S/H for the PDF and hardcovers of both books
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Next to our world exists the Plane of Shadow, a realm where fey shadows and undead horrors rule. If you’re a 5e DM, your characters are eager to get to the Plane of Shadow and explore what darkness they might find and slay. In this 192-page book, expect new monsters and NPCs, subclasses, and rules to play as bearfolk. Add to that, there’s a second 160-page book with Plane of Shadow related adventures for levels 1 to 8. If you’re looking for a darker realm to combat, this book provides a lot of options from Kobold Press, some of the best known 5e creators in the business.

GURPS Girl Genius Roleplaying Game.jpg

GURPS Girl Genius Roleplaying Game from Steve Jackson Games
  • END DATE: Mon, November 8 2021 5:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): GURPS Fourth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the print version of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Phil and Kaja Foglio's Girl Genius comics come to tabletop with this standalone RPG. Girl Genius is a long running series of gaslamp fantasy/steampunk that follows an alternate Victorian era world with incredible technology floating around. This project combines the source material with SJG’s GURPS Fourth Edition ruleset to give you a chance to join in on the zany antics. Best of all, if you’re looking for a way to sample GURPS, this standalone game lets you try without the pressure of getting multiple books.

Abilities Considered Unnatural.png

Abilities Considered Unnatural from Joel Hines
  • END DATE: Tue, November 9 2021 10:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mothership RPG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $34 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is a 52-page dungeon crawl for Mothership, one of the hottest sci-fi RPGs. In this adventure, the company’s miners dug up a new religion, literally, and the company wants to regain control of the mine and whatever was discovered. With ideas pulled from ALIEN/ALIENS as well as Dark Horses’ ALIEN comics and notes from the Mythos with the cult that runs the worker’s town, this is an adventure combining great inspirations. If you’re a fan of Mothership and dungeon crawls, this is worth a glance.

Book of Hidden Paths- Random Encounters for Pathfinder RPG.jpg

Book of Hidden Paths: Random Encounters for Pathfinder RPG from Ramen Sandwich Press
  • END DATE: Mon, November 15 2021 5:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Pathfinder Second Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $32 with free US delivery for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I follow Douglas Sun’s Kickstarters as his projects are simple yet consistent, and I’m always rooting for him. This project has an interesting reason to exist: I hadn’t clued into the fact that Pathfinder Second Edition doesn’t really have random encounters. Douglas’ campaign page discusses that, why random encounters are important, and what he’s doing to add them to PF2e. If you’re a PF2e player, this is worth getting just to get more options. If you’re not a player, the campaign page is still worth a read just for the design insights.

Level Up- Advanced 5th Edition.png

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Fri, November 5 2021 7:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £120 + £17 S/H to the US for the PDF and hardcover of the three core books plus the PDF and softcover of the adventure
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I covered this project over the last two weeks. This week, I look at another core book this campaign offers, Trials & Treasure. 330 pages of optional GM rules including how to conduct journeys and exploration. I’m a fan of the Adventures in Middle-earth journey rules so I’d like to see how these compare. Add to that, 500 Level Up magic items. If you’re looking for loads of GM advice and rules to enhance your 5e game, this book is another winner.

REX DRACONIS- WAR OF THE DRAGON MOON by RICHARD A. KNAAK.jpg

REX DRACONIS: WAR OF THE DRAGON MOON by RICHARD A. KNAAK
  • END DATE: Sun, November 21 2021 2:51 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Prose novel
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $190 + S/H for the complete Rex Draconis series autographed in hardcover
  • DISCLAIMER: I helped with promotion on Richard A. Knaak’s last Kickstarter. In addition, for the RPG adaptation of Rex Draconis, I created an NPC. I did not work on this campaign or book.
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Richard A. Knaak, author of Dragonlance: The Legend of Huma, Dragonlance: Kaz the Minotaur, and more, has an homage series to Dragonlance, Rex Draconis. As one of the notable Dragonlance authors, it’s cool that he’s created a prose tribute to that setting. In addition to the books, there’s a 5e and Pathfinder version of the world for tabletop. I’ve written extensively about Rex Draconis (here, here, and here) and am glad to have it while we wait for the next Dragonlance novel. This campaign will fund the creation of the fifth book in the Rex Draconis six-book cycle. If you’re a fan of Richard A. Knaak’s writing, Dragonlance, or Rex Draconis, this series is worth checking out, and he’s offering all of the books to-date via this campaign.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Last edited:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Huh. The subject line mentions Earthdawn, but it seems absent from the actual post.
Staffan,

Thanks for pointing that out. As best I can, I've updated the title. Again, thanks for mentioning that.

Originally, I planned to cover Earthdawn (and I included it into the title), but ran out of room. I'd planned to move that coverage to next week, however, yesterday saw a number of projects that will fill out that week's article. So, in case I don't get a chance to, let me put a link here: Earthdawn 4th Ed: Vasgothia and Champion’s Challenge Vol 2 from FASA

Dire Bare

Legend
Erg, I just pledged to the new MCG Planebreaker, Matt Forbeck's Shotguns & Sorcery 5E, and Tracy Hickman's Skyraiders of Abarax . . . . please, no more interesting Kickstarter projects please!!!

They all dropped within the last day or two, so I don't expect Egg to cover them until next week.

Erg, I just pledged to the new MCG Planebreaker, Matt Forbeck's Shotguns & Sorcery 5E, and Tracy Hickman's Skyraiders of Abarax . . . . please, no more interesting Kickstarter projects please!!!

They all dropped within the last day or two, so I don't expect Egg to cover them until next week.
You are correct. All on my mind for next week. ;-)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases