RPG Crowdfunding News – Scion: Demigod, Into the Fey, Laser Ponies, and more

This week’s RPG crowdfunding projects through Kickstarter and IndieGoGo end by October 1st. These project include new rules, settings, and expansions to Scion, D&D, Monster of the Week, Delve, OpenQuest, and more. Beyond the normal types of projects, there’s a card-based RPG and a campaign to fund a gaming convention online; all of these are worth a quick look. Thinking of running a RPG...

This week’s RPG crowdfunding projects through Kickstarter and IndieGoGo end by October 1st. These project include new rules, settings, and expansions to Scion, D&D, Monster of the Week, Delve, OpenQuest, and more. Beyond the normal types of projects, there’s a card-based RPG and a campaign to fund a gaming convention online; all of these are worth a quick look. Thinking of running a RPG crowdfunding campaign? Morrus shares his thoughts on your best options here. There’s a lot of insight and some numbers to consider, it’s all well worth the time.
Scion- Demigod - Book 3 for the Scion Second Edition RPG.png
Scion: Demigod - Book 3 for the Scion Second Edition RPG from Onyx Path Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 2:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Storypath System
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $55 + S/H for the PDF, POD, and print versions of the book
Scion: Demigod - Book 3 for the Scion Second Edition Tabletop Roleplaying Game. As a Hero, a Scion becomes a figure of myth and story, an exemplar of some virtue of their chosen society or the culture they’re born into. Even before their Visitation, the children of the Gods are a breed apart. But some want more than this lesser form of immortality, forever in the shadow of their parents. The golden ichor within the Scion’s heart sears and cooks them, ever burning away any human frailties of the Scion and driving them toward more audacious Deeds. They seek to become truly transformational figures, leaving The World forever different in their wake. At the fifth dot of Legend, it all reaches a tipping point, where the Scion is formed more of divine ichor than mortal flesh —more immortal than mortal, a true Demigod. They have declared to The World that they will not be pawns of Fate, but players in their own right. They will succeed in becoming a God, or they will die with their failure. Everything up to this point was your prologue. Now it’s time to live your myth. Scion: Demigod continues the path set down by Scion: Origin and Scion: Hero, expanding Scion Second Edition’s power level and charting the next level of power tiers for the Scions of the Gods.”

Into the Fey - A Fifth Edition Module for Levels 1-5.png
Into the Fey - A Fifth Edition Module for Levels 1-5 from The DM Lair :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 4:27 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and print of the book plus the PDF of one-shot adventures
“A 5th edition compatible adventure module themed around the Fey and featuring new creatures, magic items, and spells. A project by Luke Hart from The DM Lair YouTube channel. Into the Fey is an adventure module designed for the Fifth Edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game that takes a party of four to six adventurers from level 1 to 5. It contains a variety of interesting and unique adventures--featuring lots of new fey creatures, magic items, and even spells--and professionally made maps and artwork. Into the Fey was created with not just players but also game masters in mind. It is well-organized with individual adventures designed to be easy to reference and use at the game table. Several plot hooks are presented for each adventure, suggesting different ways a game master might introduce the quest to their players, and roleplaying guidelines are provided for important NPCs.”

Atma- A Roleplaying Card Game 02.png

Atma: A Roleplaying Card Game from Meromorph Games
  • END DATE: Mon, September 28 2020 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core RPG card game
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 + S/H for “Interlude I: 1 stage, 4 characters, dice and tokens [and] Act I: 3 stages, 8 characters, dice and tokens”
“A full-fledged RPG in 2 hours. For roleplaying novices and experts alike. Atma is a complete roleplaying game in a tiny package. It's portable, quick to set up and teach, and plays in just 2 hours — perfect for game nights or pop-up sessions! A Game Master and 1-4 players use illustrated tarot cards to fuel RPG gameplay focused on creativity and quick thinking. Atma excels as a tutorial for first-time GMs who've always wanted to run an RPG, while also allowing limitless creativity for roleplaying pros.”

The Devil's Bridge- A 5th Edition Slavic Adventure.png
The Devil's Bridge: A 5th Edition Slavic Adventure from Yellow Madhouse :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 6:59 AM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £19 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
“A haunting tale combining Slavic folklore with classic DnD fantasy. Inspired by myths & legends ingrained in real historical locations. The Devil's Bridge is an adventure for levels 1-5, for the most famous role-playing game in the World. It is inspired by Slavic folklore and based around a real place in Bulgaria and the legends surrounding it. Behind the project is Yellow Madhouse - a group of friends united by our love for roleplaying games and mythology. We have made it our mission to bring Slavic folklore to 5e and this adventure is the first step! In order to stay true to the stories of old, we're also working closely with Docent Doctor Vihra Baeva from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences as a consultant in the fields of ethnology and folklore. We have delved deep into the mysterious ruins and vestiges of a time long gone in real locations in Bulgaria, and the local legends surrounding them. The Devil's bridge is a haunting site, wrapped in dark and dramatic folklore tales. These stories unlocked a sense of adventure and curiosity within us. The ancient secrets of the bridge are embedded in every stone, awaiting to be uncovered by you.”

OpenQuest 3rd Edition.png

OpenQuest 3rd Edition from D101 Games
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 3:46 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): D100
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £10 for the PDF and POD of the book
OpenQuest is a straightforward, easy to play D100 role-playing game. Inspired by the tremendous D100 rulesets put out in the late 1970s and 1980s, OpenQuest uses the Legend SRD as a base and includes innovations from more recent indie RPGs to give it a modern edge. OpenQuest is a game of fantasy adventure. It takes place in the imagination of its players, in worlds where dragons live, and magic exists and works! The players can take on the roles of brave warriors, crafty thieves, mysterious sorcerers and any other type of fantasy character.”

Laser Ponies- An RPG for Everybody.jpg

Laser Ponies: An RPG for Everybody from Hex Games

• END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 6:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Quick Action Game System (QAGS)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF and POD of the game
  • NOTE: From one of the authors of :hobo:
  • FOLLOW UP: Yes, I just wanted to use that tag
“An all-ages tabletop RPG of magical ponies who shoot lasers from their eyes! Feel the Pony Power! On a faraway magical world, in the heart of Glitter Valley, there lives a tribe of beautiful creatures known as the Laser Ponies. These ponies romp, frolic, and play. They hold tea parties. And, when they need to, they shoot lasers out of their eyes. Only the Laser Ponies can defend the creatures of the valley from the evil Chasm Queen and her army of monsters. Laser Ponies is the action-packed-yet-adorable cartoon you always wanted to see, filled with magic, wonder, and adventure, brought to life as a tabletop role-playing game for players of all ages! Hex Games is proud to present the second edition of Laser Ponies, which is revised and greatly expanded from the original.”

RPG Quick Hits

The Red Opera RPG from Apotheosis Studios :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 6:00 PM EDT.
  • 5E Campaign and Setting in a City Where Warlocks Reign Eternal.”
Delve Second Edition - City of Gnarling from FeralGamersInc
  • END DATE: Wed, September 30 2020
  • NOTE: This campaign is available through IndieGoGo
  • “A City Book for Delve Second Edition.”
Lowlife 2090 from Pickpocket Press
  • END DATE: Tue, September 29 2020 6:24 AM EDT.
  • “A tabletop RPG of Cyberpunk & Sorcery, set in a dystopian 2090.”
Glimmering Crypt of the Ioun King from Planet X Games :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Mon, September 28 2020 11:00 PM EDT.
  • “A weird fantasy adventure module compatible with 5E.”
The Deck of Monsters for Monster of the Week from BPB Games :apocw:
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 12:02 PM EDT.
  • “53 original, non-appropriative, ready-to-use monsters for the PbtA hit Monster of the Week! Draw a card and start the hunt!”
Bounty Hunts Vol 1: Contracts for 5E Dungeons & Dragons from Jason DM :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Wed, September 30 2020 12:12 PM EDT.
  • “A collection of instant Bounty Hunts for Fifth Edition D&D, designed to easily implement into your campaign!”
Titanholm - Steampunk RPG (OGL) from Arcane Ink Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, October 1 2020 9:46 AM EDT.
  • “Explore the world of Titanholm and embark on a whimsical adventure immersed in a volatile mixture of science and magic.”
Fires of Athelen - Tabletop RPG from Athelen Publishing
  • END DATE: Wed, September 30 2020 7:00 PM EDT.
  • Fires of Athelen is a new d20 Tabletop RPG with an authentic locational combat system and a unique sorcery magic system. 1/Sept/2020.”
Bag of Tricks (revisited) by MYRIAD from Duke Davidson :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Sun, September 27 2020 2:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$22 + CA$8 US S/H for “Bag of Tricks Reference Cards, 1x Dice Pack (includes three D8's), Velvet Drawstring Bag, Wooden Creature Size Token, [and] Linen Cardstock Card Sleeve”
  • “A classic D&D magic item re-imagined as an innovative and immersive tabletop player experience; featuring original artwork and more!”
AcadeCon 2020: Ready Player Characters from The RPG Academy
  • END DATE: Wed, September 30 2020 10:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Gaming convention
  • CONVENTION LOCATION: Online
  • CONVENTION DATES: November 6th through the 8th, 2020
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $3 for access to play and GM during the online gathering
  • NOTE: In April 2019, I asked Craig Campbell of NerdBurger Games to recommend an RPG-related Kickstarter, he chose last year’s ArcadeCon 2019, read his response here
  • “Dayton Ohio's own 3-day tabletop gaming convention returns November 6th - 8th, 2020. RPG/Board/Card games & More is going virtual!”
Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

imagineGod

Legend
Curious if you intentionally left off
Jat saw that the system neutral first book is hard cover. Color me interested now.

The system neutral campaign setting hardcover sourcebook Tehuatl is a guide and gazetteer to the island's history, people, religions, geography, and communities that is expected to be 140 pages.

aramis erak

Legend
"system neutral" generally means "specific for an undisclosed member of the D&D clade, but with weak system integration."

Without a firm preview, I wouldn't plunk money down on any system neutral setting book; I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I suspect that effect is going to hurt them

"system neutral" generally means "specific for an undisclosed member of the D&D clade, but with weak system integration."

Without a firm preview, I wouldn't plunk money down on any system neutral setting book; I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I suspect that effect is going to hurt them

I don’t think that is what it means at all and I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. It usually means fluff and not crunch I.e. cultures, cities, people etc.

Did You even read the Kickstarter page?

Dire Bare

Legend
I wish there was a hard cover option. The softcover get damaged too easily to be collectible.

Also, sadly, just over 500 backers is not a good sign. Maybe, too many role players are snubbing the product. :-(

They hit their funding goal . . . not every successful Kickstarter has to have thousands of backers or millions in funds raised. This book will be made and (hopefully) backers will be happy. It will go on to be available in digital form (at the least) on DriveThru and perhaps other outlets.

Having said that, I declined to back this one. My concern was yet another group of white guys writing a setting based on a non-Western culture. I'm not saying Frog God is putting out hardcore cultural appropriation, but their Kickstarter page didn't convince me they weren't. I've also become disillusioned with the company over their past issues and poor responses to employees/partners behaving badly. I'm also losing interest in their particular style of OSR game/setting design.

Remove ads

Remove ads