RPG Crowdfunding News - Battlezoo Eldamon Monster Training, Twilight Fables, and more

This week’s column looks at RPG crowdfunding projects that end between August 17th and September 19th. As with last week’s article, I did not have the bandwidth to dive into Kickstarter's 2022 RPG Zine Quest event. However, I can provide that link and go one further with this Zine Quest 4 Stats Google Sheet (not mine, by the by) which shows this year’s zines.

This week’s column looks at RPG crowdfunding projects that end between August 17th and September 19th. As with last week’s article, I did not have the bandwidth to dive into Kickstarters’s 2022 RPG Zine Quest event. However, I can provide that link and go one further with this Zine Quest 4 Stats Google Sheet (not mine, by the by) which shows this year’s zines.

5E PF2 Battlezoo Eldamon Monster Training  Year of Monsters.jpg

5E/PF2 Battlezoo Eldamon Monster Training & Year of Monsters from Roll for Combat
  • END DATE: Fri, August 26 2022 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder 2nd Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebooks and cards
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $199 + S/H for the whole project in print and PDF/VTT in either 5e or PF2e
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? While this could be summarized as Pokemon for 5e or Pathfinder 2e, it’s a cool version that adapts the concept to d20 style gaming. Monsters, books, rules, cards, tokens, there’s a lot of content here. Well over 160 monsters with various elements, each controlled by two new classes. Beyond just a RPG, the monsters have cards allowing for card games if you’re so inclined. In 2023, a series of monsters are coming and this campaign lets you preview them, join in, and get the compilation when it’s all done. If you want Pokemon like creatures for your 5e or PF2e campaigns, check out this page for more content.

Cute Creatures Compendium, by Catilus.jpg

Cute Creatures Compendium, by Catilus
  • END DATE: Thu, August 25 2022 10:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €18 for the PDF and POD versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Continuing the creature feature above, this book leans into adorable critters for your 5e campaign. As with the above option, this one has new creatures and rules for taming them, but this one is its own project themed around cute additions to your campaign. Sure, there’s CRs, lore, and combat data, but this is meant to expand the game beyond encounter, roll, kill. If the look of the animals in your campaign could use some delightful animals, check out the campaign page for a link to previews.

The GameMaster's Apprentice- Cyberpunk Deck.jpg

The GameMaster's Apprentice: Cyberpunk Deck from Larcenous Designs, LLC
  • END DATE: Thu, August 25 2022 10:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG cards
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for the PDF and POD versions of the deck plus Discord access
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project provides a cyberpunk story prompt deck of cards. 120 cards, each featuring numerous ideas and options to unlock story ideas. The cards are perfect for GMs that need a single word here and there to conjure up new directions for their RPGs. If you want cyberpunk prompts, check out the campaign page for a free demo of the deck.

Deep & Dangerous 5e.jpg

Deep & Dangerous 5e from Sword Compass Creations
  • END DATE: Sun, August 21 2022 12:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $13 for the PDF of this book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need a new take on the underground for your 5e campaign? This one offers 12 new subclasses, monsters, a micro-setting, and a great deal of underground rules and crunch to power your campaign. This isn’t a setting (save for the micro-setting), but a resource for 5e campaigns that want to dig too far into the earth and discover its mysteries. Check out the campaign page for a free preview.

Twilight Fables.jpg

Twilight Fables from Izegrim Creations
  • END DATE: Thu, August 18 2022 9:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition or OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF and other digital versions of the book plus additional files
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This 5e (they also have an OSR option) sourcebook brings dark, gritty folklore into your campaign. Over 200 monsters, artifacts, character options, and more. This includes Brothers Grimm style fairy tales, the darkest kind. If the idea of new options and creatures speaks to you, there’s a link to a preview on the campaign page.

Ryne.jpg

Ryne from furtive shambles
  • END DATE: Sat, August 20 2022
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £40 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: IndieGoGo
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Broken titans shaped the world. Communities depend on these indifferent behemoths. Into this world, you’ll journey, interact with communities, and experience emotions and adventures as you seek your place in a world nearing its end. This project is inspired by Earthsea, Shadow of the Colossus, Princess Mononoke, and Mushi-shi, giving you an idea of the setting and atmosphere of the world. If this interests you, visit the campaign page for a link to the free preview.
Shipwrecks of the Astral Sea.jpg

Shipwrecks of the Astral Sea from Jerry Joe Seltzer
  • END DATE: Sat, September 10 2022 1:45 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $12 gets you the PDF of the book and digital maps
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Who wants some Spelljammer shipwreck dungeons? This book is over 100 pages and features seven shipwrecks. More than being maps, these are advertised as story-driven mysteries. Designed for a variety of levels, these wrecks will be a great compliment to the Spelljammer 5e book. If you’re ready to sail the space seas, this book may add something fun to the campaign.

The Fallen Few - Role Playing Game.jpg

The Fallen Few - Role Playing Game from Ouroborus Books
  • END DATE: Mon, September 19 2022 6:21 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$75 + AU$20 S/H to the US for the hardcover of the game
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Join an outlaw motorcycle club and run the roads. In this d20 RPG, you’ll join as a member of a motorcycle gang, stake a territory, and maintain your hold. For fans of Sons of Anarchy and Mayans M.C., this game takes the basics of D&D combat and trades out horses for motorcycles. I’m running a 5e motorcycle homebrew right now, so this option interests me. If you’re interested in forming a motorcycle club, check out the campaign page.

Forbidden Psalm - KillSampleProcess.jpg

Forbidden Psalm – KillSamplePrrocess from KRD Designs
  • END DATE: Wed, August 17 2022 1:33 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): CY_BÖRG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook for the miniatures game and sourcebook for the RPG
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £34 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the game
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This book is a mix of a 28mm miniatures game inspired by CY_BÖRG and campaign setting for the RPG. It’s two-in-one. If you want to take the philosophy of CY_BÖRG to miniatures, this book does that. On the other hand, if you want a campaign setting, this speaks to it. This is a classic cyberpunk setting where you’ll fight against the establishment in both games. If you’re interested in the RPG of the miniatures game, this book supports both.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

The Eldamon game apparently presents a PC race that are avatars of a dungeon. So your race is ‘dungeon’. You’re a humanoid dungeon. Innovative! Has this ever been done before?

This would be a fitting core lineage for D&D 6E. Alongside the Dragonborn, you’d literally have dungeons and dragons as core PC lineages.

If I was a CEO (chief executive officer) working in Hasbro I wouldn't overlook the ideas and projects by the 3PPs, because some ones of these may true "golden mines" in the future, with a great potential as IP/franchise.

I am surprised by "Roll for Combatt" and its "Batlezoo". I would bet Hasbro is wishing to create their own version of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Battle Pet and using the rich monster compendium of D&D (and some other IPs).

Remove ads

Remove ads