RPG Design & Arduous Research

I just wanted to share a general exasperated grumble at the arduous nature of the research I'm currently doing. I've been locating stats and specs on a range of iconic vehicles over the last 60 years or so. I'm only halfway through - lots of vehicle types to do yet. Some info is easy to find, but for older vehicles I sometimes spend ages trying to track down the 0-60 of a 1952 motorbike or the weight of a 1970s tractor trailer. Most of the info will just be fluff text anyway -- I'm distilling the figures down into a few simple stats. Finding the original price of older vehicles? Nigh impossible! It's easy to find the cost of new vehicles. It's also easy to find the cost of used vehicles. But the cost of a specific new vehicle in 1979? That's a frustrating task!

I just wanted to share a general exasperated grumble at the arduous nature of the research I'm currently doing. I've been locating stats and specs on a range of iconic vehicles over the last 60 years or so. I'm only halfway through - lots of vehicle types to do yet. Some info is easy to find, but for older vehicles I sometimes spend ages trying to track down the 0-60 of a 1952 motorbike or the weight of a 1970s tractor trailer. Most of the info will just be fluff text anyway -- I'm distilling the figures down into a few simple stats. Finding the original price of older vehicles? Nigh impossible! It's easy to find the cost of new vehicles. It's also easy to find the cost of used vehicles. But the cost of a specific new vehicle in 1979? That's a frustrating task!

Half of this table is research as opposed to the final stats you'd see in WOIN. Some derive into others or get combined. But the raw data needs gathering first!

vehicles.jpg

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I definitely know how you feel. I just haven't done it for something professional. I've been working on using the Support Vehicle rules to turn WWII and Modern combat vehicles into stat blocks for Battletech. And I've been trying to find statistics for weapon systems for Harpoon. If you aren't given the diameter, type of explosive, or amount of explosive for a missile then you are out of luck. Or if a certain statistic is classified. I'm surprised I haven't had a knock on my door from the FBI.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Best be, call the vehicle manufacturer. Most of them should have lists of what the vehicles, and what options they came with, since the started selling them. At least as far the American manufacturers that are still in business go. I note that the list is missing a wide variety of Aston Martins. As Brit I would have thought you would have put the world's foremost superspy's preferred ride right at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

vandaexpress

First Post
Hats off to you, Morrus. I used to maintain a database of stats for current/recent vehicles (I'm a car guy) and that was arduous for me. I can't imagine doing it for vehicles that aren't even around. This is fantastic. Glad to see I'm not the only one who geeks out to stuff like this, even if my players will likely never use it/care.

Steven Winter

Explorer
I know how arduous it is and I totally feel for you, Morrrus, but at the same time, this is the sort of thing I love doing. When I miss a deadline, it's often because I spent too much time on research (because I was having so much fun) and was late getting around to the actual writing.

In other words, I'm actually jealous right now. :\

Steve

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'd suggest actually contacting the companies (assuming they are still around) and ask to talk to someone who can assist you with research. I've done the same with JPL and several other companies for my thesis. You are doing way more work than you really need to if you aren't doing that already.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads