RPG Evolution: RPGs Have a Health Problem

Increasingly, the families of older gamers in the U.S. are turning to crowdfunding campaigns to fund their medical costs. Although gaming hasn't always been a lucrative field for designers, it's clear that even our most experienced designers aren't making enough to manage a medical crisis. Can we do anything about it?

As the game industry ages, our iconic game designers are aging with it. Increasingly, they are turning to crowdfunding campaigns to fund their medical costs. Although gaming hasn't always been a lucrative field for designers, it's clear that even our most experienced designers aren't making enough to manage a medical crisis. Can we do anything about it?

gofundme.jpg

The Scope of the Problem

For some designers, yearly deductibles have crept up to the $10,000 range; with game designers often working as freelancers without insurance, costs are even higher. Incidental expenses, like wound care supplies, specialized diets, and transportation all add to these costs. To address these expenses, GoFundMe (and it is usually GoFundMe, which accounts for 1 in 3 crowdfunding campaigns for medical costs) has become the crowdfunding platform of choice, with over 250,000 medical campaigns raising over $650 million each year.

Is it possible to make a living working on games? We have some notable data points.

It's Not for Everyone

Fred Hicks shares his perspective:
Through a combination of: Running Evil Hat (I made $0/month for several years; then we got a little success, enough to justify $450/month for a while; I’ve gotten to increase that since, but I am pretty sure I’m still not quite rating McDonald’s wages, and unless Evil Hat can improve its product output over the next few years, I’m not sure the increase can be sustained; behold part of my motive to grow the company! I should note I don’t charge the company anything else for any writing, development, or layout work I do beyond this monthly draw.) Running Jim Butcher’s online presence (the site has amazon referrals, other referral programs, the occasional ad revenue, cafe press gear, all of which funnels to me to pay the website costs and then pay myself the remainder for doing the work of creating & running all that over the past ten-plus years) Freelance layout work (which is bursty, unpredictable, and can sometimes wind up with late or very late or never-happened payment if you’re not careful)… I am just in the last year or two finally at the point where I’m making about what I made when I started in the internet industry back in 1996. Only without any benefits (save those that I get as a spouse), which is a lot like saying that I am making 30+% less than what I was making in 1996.
Louis Porter Jr. responded to Fred's post:
But there is another side to this. The side of what is "making a living"? I live is South Florida where I own a house, two cars, have a wife, one year old son and mother-in-law all living in the same house. My wife and I do well financially (She's a therapist and I am a graphic design / web designer) and LPJ Design gives me extra money to do a few fun things. But can I live off of it? No. But do I work it like a 40 hours a week job where I get full medical, weekly paycheck, 401k retirement planning, free use of internet, copier fax machine and roughly four and a half weeks off and 2 weeks of sick time? No. But I do know if I worked the LPJ Design business as well and hard as I work my "real" job the out come would be different.
Louis mentions the 1,000 fans theory, and given the success of crowdfunding in role-playing games it seems there's some merit.

The 1,000 Fans Theory

The 1,000 Fans Theory espouses the belief that creators don't need to have a large number of fans, they just need a highly-engaged base that will support them:
Here’s how the math works. You need to meet two criteria. First, you have to create enough each year that you can earn, on average, $100 profit from each true fan. That is easier to do in some arts and businesses than others, but it is a good creative challenge in every area because it is always easier and better to give your existing customers more, than it is to find new fans. Second, you must have a direct relationship with your fans. That is, they must pay you directly. You get to keep all of their support, unlike the small percent of their fees you might get from a music label, publisher, studio, retailer, or other intermediate.
If each fan provided $100 per year, that would amount to a $100,000 year income. It's worth noting that a percentage of this number also covers things like insurance and medical bills. The total number of fans can be adjusted up or down according to the individual's needs and goals -- those creatives who live in areas where they can get by on $50,000 need only 500 fans, while those who have fans with less disposable income may need double that amount. Where do RPG fans fit in this model?

There are two constraints that working against game developers hoping to make a living using this model. For one, tabletop RPG fans are not nearly as large a market as video games or other creative outlets. For another, gamers are accustomed to lower price points than other entertainment, including the aforementioned video games.

As the market continues to expand, we're seeing movement on both of these factors that may give future designers hope. The market is growing -- Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner told Mad Money that "people are more into Dungeons & Dragons today than ever before. In fact it's enjoying its best year ever, it's been the last couple of years where it's grown. People are reengaged with that brand because it's a face-to-face game, it's immersive, and it's a game that people really enjoy playing with one another. We have more new users coming on board -- double digit, new user growth."

Along with that growth is a fan base willing to spend more, as Andrew addressed in his article, "How Expensive is Too Expensive?" This in turn means creatives can get paid more. Russ has written an excellent reference piece on EN World that every writer should read. It's worth noting that when it comes to paying fairly, Russ is a leader in the industry -- and I speak from personal experience working for him.

A third factor to consider is that the barrier to entry into role-playing games has dropped considerably. Thanks to digital platforms like DriveThruRPG and the DMs Guild, creators can make and sell games at very little cost. By keeping their expenses as low as possible, game designers can net more profit from their games. There are also more platforms to allow fans to directly contribute to creators, like Patreon.

Adding this all up, the 1,000 fan theory seems more achievable for game designers than ever before. But until the market expands enough to support more creatives in the field, economic conditions will continue to push everyone in the tabletop RPG field to test the 1,000 fan theory in the worst way...when they have a medical crisis.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Sacrosanct

Legend
Something that requires $6000 is a massive blowout from the $350 average that is being disingenuously claimed.

Even discounting the ambulance ride that is an absurd amount just for stitching. Imagine if it was a transplant or an ORIF operation. Imagine if it was a more serious OR operation.

He never had an ambulance ride. That would have been 10k just by itself. The $4000 was from the hospital just to use the building. The $2000 was from the doctor for the actual procedure.

And it’s doubly problematic when hospitals and doctors don’t have to tell you costs up front, and don’t have to itemize charges.

That was $6000 for stitches. So yeah, medical issues in the US absolutely can bankrupt someone, and it doesn’t take much. To claim otherwise is simply ignorance of the health care system

He never had an ambulance ride. That would have been 10k just by itself. The $4000 was from the hospital just to use the building. The $2000 was from the doctor for the actual procedure.

And it’s doubly problematic when hospitals and doctors don’t have to tell you costs up front, and don’t have to itemize charges.

That was $6000 for stitches. So yeah, medical issues in the US absolutely can bankrupt someone, and it doesn’t take much. To claim otherwise is simply ignorance of the health care system
Yeah I know. My post regarding that was a bit unclear though. I have edited my post.

Yeah. I have heard the hospital slaps the patient with quite an obscene medial bill after the fact. And can lead to quite a number of people being made homeless simply for using medical and surgical services.
That is fundamentally wrong.

Sacrosanct

Legend
“The average cost for a visit to the emergency room was $1,389 in 2017, according to a study by Health Care Cost Institute, which reviewed millions of claims over a 10-year period.”

It’s more now, I guarantee lol. Those are claims being factored from 2007 to 2017. Costs have skyrocketed since 2007, so I wouldn’t be surprised to assume its $2000 on average now. For basic things like infections and strep (things people go to the ER for)

“The average cost for a visit to the emergency room was $1,389 in 2017, according to a study by Health Care Cost Institute, which reviewed millions of claims over a 10-year period.”

It’s more now, I guarantee lol. Those are claims being factored from 2007 to 2017. Costs have skyrocketed since 2007, so I wouldn’t be surprised to assume its $2000 on average now. For basic things like infections and strep (things people go to the ER for)
Frankly that is really F'd up.

And it just cements that his claim was pulled out of his Uranus.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is simply not true. I have what is considered good insurance (the most expensive Kaiser plan). Last October, my son had to go to the ER for splitting his nose open. 15 stitches. 15 minutes of work. The hospital billed $4000 and then the doctor billed $2000 additional. My deductible is $6000 a year per family, and since they happened to be out of network, I was pretty much stuck with the whole thing. For a minor procedure. My situation isn’t that uncommon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the ER might also have been designated a trauma center and a trauma team, or part of one, was activated for potential need. That drives ER fees up dramatically.

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
Well long story short my wife takes me to one of the new satellite Emergency Centers and not an Urgent Care facility. Come to find out I didn't cut bone and didn't need even need stitches just answered questions got a shot and bandage. Almost a month later a bills show up for close to $1500 and another one I'm assuming just showed up for $99 for the being seen by a Nurse.

Whereas here in Australia our 15 yo son recently broke his collarbone playing soccer, which required a visit to the ER with x-rays etc, and several follow-up visits to the fracture clinic with more x-rays. Total cost was $12, and that's only because we bought an extra sling to the one the hospital provided. Otherwise it would have been zero. No worries about deductibles, or if any of the medical staff were somehow "out of network", or if the insurance company's rules had changed, and so on. I am happy to pay for that certainty and peace of mind through the Medicare levy in my taxes (and help pay for those in our society who would otherwise not be able to afford it, usually through no fault of their own).

To tie this back to the topic at hand, in 2015 I took on a great risk giving up my career in higher ed to become part of the new management at Chaosium, which was in very bad shape at the time. In part, my family and I could take this risk because, living in Australia, there is the medical safety net of a universal health care system that is not tied to employment and has no pre-existing conditions, annual caps etc. so we'd all be covered if any health issues arose.

Last edited:

jedijon

Explorer
I wonder how pastors feel. Or the small business owner. Or anyone else self-employed. Heck, even those folks on corners.

I know my grandpa stressed a lot at the end of his life that his pension earned by working for twenty plus years at a low-wage factory job would last. That was after stints as a tavern owner and cabbage farmer.

Like him, I’d have a hard time asking people to support me financially just because they liked/pitied me—but I’m glad there’s a format for some subset of the needy to get their needs met.

Reynard

Legend
I wonder how pastors feel. Or the small business owner. Or anyone else self-employed. Heck, even those folks on corners.

I know my grandpa stressed a lot at the end of his life that his pension earned by working for twenty plus years at a low-wage factory job would last. That was after stints as a tavern owner and cabbage farmer.

Like him, I’d have a hard time asking people to support me financially just because they liked/pitied me—but I’m glad there’s a format for some subset of the needy to get their needs met.
If the folks we are talking about here were fairly compensated for their work and provided lifelong royalties on the continued monetization of that work, it would be less of an issue. Gig economy. Work for hire. Freelance. It's all for the benefit of the company, not the worker or creator.

jasper

Rotten DM

To tie this back to the topic at hand, in 2015 I took on a great risk giving up my career in higher ed to become part of the new management at Chaosium, which was in very bad shape at the time. In part, my family and I could take this risk because, living in Australia, there is the medical safety net of a universal health care system that is not tied to employment and has no pre-existing conditions, annual caps etc. so we'd all be covered if any health issues arose.
So the taxpayers and government help paid one of your business expenses.
In general all small businesses, artists, and self employed people are living on the edge. And we do respect some artists. How much money did Michael Jackson estate, Prince estate, Beyoncé, bring in last year? 1% of the artists are going to make 99% of the dough.
Possible solutions other than fund raisers. Artists Union or Co-op or what ever, where you band together to buy health care plans. Find out what a health care plan costs per year and add that into your prices.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I wonder how pastors feel.

Probably pretty good, I imagine. With churches not having to pay any kind of tax.

So the taxpayers and government help paid one of your business expenses.
In general all small businesses, artists, and self employed people are living on the edge. And we do respect some artists. How much money did Michael Jackson estate, Prince estate, Beyoncé, bring in last year? 1% of the artists are going to make 99% of the dough.
Possible solutions other than fund raisers. Artists Union or Co-op or what ever, where you band together to buy health care plans. Find out what a health care plan costs per year and add that into your prices.

Yikes.

What you call a business expense I call a fundamental human right, but you know, tomato tomatoe.

If we want to talk about who's living large off of the government hog it would be the corporations who benefit massively from sanctioned tax breaks and loopholes and pay often zero income tax (see GE, Amazon, Walmart etc).

Plus, think about how many small business don't get started, or inventions not invented because people couldn't take the risk of losing access to healthcare via their current employer's health coverage.

Also, keep in mind, with automation coming and eliminating a large amount of jobs-with nothing in the pipe to replace them- in the not so distant future having a system where healthcare is provided by employers will no longer be tenable as far more people will be unemployed then there are now. From a purely practical standpoint this would need to change.

That is of course, if one cares about poor people having access to quality healthcare. As it is, and has always been, a fundamentally moral question.

Remove ads

Remove ads