• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The AI DM in Action

How might WOTC launch an AI-powered DM assistant?

How might WOTC launch an AI-powered DM assistant?

technology-4256272_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

We know Wizards of the Coast is tinkering with Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered tools for its multiple properties, including Dungeons & Dragons. But what might that look like in practice?

Interactive NPCs​

Large Language Model (LLM) AIs have been used extensively to create non-player characters of all stripes on Character.AI. It's not a stretch to imagine that Wizards might have official NPCs included as part of the digital purchase of an adventure, with the rough outline of the NPC acting as parameters for how it would interact. DMs might be able to create their own or modify existing NPCs so that the character drops hints or communicates in a certain way. Log outputs could then be available for DMs to use later.

There are several places today where you can create NPC bots powered by AI that are publicly available, although the DM might need to monitor the output in real time to record the conversation. Character.AI and Poe.com both provide the ability to create publicly available characters that players can interact with .

Random Generators​

There are already dozens of these in existence. What's particularly of note is that AI can go deep -- not just randomize what book is in a library, but provide snippets of text of what's in that book. Not just detail the name of a forgotten magic item, but provide stats for the item. For WOTC products, this could easily cover details that no print product can possibly encompass in detail, or with parameters (for example, only a library with books on necromancy).

AI RPG companion is a great example of this, but there are many more.

Tabletop Assistants​

Hasbro recently partnered with Xplored, with the goal of developing a "new tabletop platform that integrates digital and physical play." Of particular note is how Xplore's technology works: its system "intelligently resolves rules and character behaviors, and provides innovative gameplay, new scenarios and ever-changing storytelling events. The technology allows players to learn by playing with no rulebook needed, save games to resume later, enables remote gameplay, and offers features like immersive contextual sound and connected dice."

If that sounds like it could be used to enhance an in-person Dungeons & Dragons game, Xplored is already on that path with Teburu, a digital board game platform that uses "smart-sensing technology, AI, and dynamic multimedia." Xplored's AI platform could keep track of miniatures on a table, dice rolls, and even the status of your character sheet, all managed invisibly and remotely by an AI behind the scenes and communicating with the (human) DM.

Dungeon Master​

And then there's the most challenging aspect of play that WOTC struggles with to this day: having enough Dungeon Masters to support a group. Wizards could exclusively license these automated DMs, who would have all the materials necessary to run a game. Some adventures would be easier for an AI DM to run than others -- straightforward dungeon crawls necessarily limit player agency and ensure the AI can run it within parameters, while a social setting could easily confuse it.

Developers are already pushing this model with various levels of success. For an example, see AI Realm.

What's Next?​

If Hasbro's current CEO and former WOTC CEO Chris Cocks is serious about AI, this is just a hint at what's possible. If the past battles over virtual tabletops are any indication, WOTC will likely take a twofold approach: ensure it's AI is well-versed in how it engages with adventures, and defend its branded properties against rival AI platforms that do the same thing. As Cocks pointed out in a recent interview, WOTC's advantage isn't in the technology itself but in its licenses, and it will likely all have a home on D&D Beyond. Get ready!

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Stalker0

Legend
When we look at AI today, so far the best uses cases have been AI generated content with a human overseer/editor rather than pure AI. Without the guardrail of a human AI can still go off the deepend. So a pure AI DM I think is still a bit away.

So towards that end, here are things I am already using AI for in my games. If this was done in a cleaner UI I would be all for it.
  • Generate portrait artwork of key new NPCs.
  • Generate battlemap artwork.
  • Create lists of 10 magic items or special objects for treasure hoards.
  • Give recommendations on monsters for random encounters.
  • Give me a random backstory for some NPC I want on the fly.

Oofta

Legend
I could see it being a DM assistant, giving ideas beforehand and prompts during the game. Perhaps it could even run some NPCs for me. So for example I'd give it my scenarios and general setting outline and it gives me options to fill it in. There are some NPC generators that do this a little bit now, but they're pretty basic and in my experience just repeat my prompts with more words.

If I were running a virtual session, even have it do voices, with directions from me. It could really help some people step up their DMing game. Another example would be creating and populating an entire village or even city with every building and shop laid out. They don't even have to be particularly innovative here, it's just filling in the world with realistic NPCs and background. Imagine a VTT with a crowded street, someone hawking wares, a town crier repeating news that may have been directed by the DM. Lots of options to fill in the blanks that I simply can't as a DM.

On the other hand I don't see it replacing a DM entirely anytime in the near future without some true breakthrough technology of a type I simply don't see growing out of LLMs.

Dire Bare

Legend
I know. I'm a broken record. But--

If there is a group of 5 players who can't find a GM, there is really a group of 4 players and a GM who needs to step up.
Sigh.

Yes, that is the problem. Folks who do not have the confidence to take on the challenging task of DM.

Just saying, "Well, step up then!" does not help anyone. It's like asking someone with depression or anxiety, "Have you tried just NOT being depressed or anxious?"

Those of us who find the confidence to give it a try, quickly realize that while it's more work than being a player, it's not that hard. Winging it and not being perfect is okay. But just expecting someone to magically find that confidence is not helpful, not in the least.

And for D&D to grow . . . both the game itself and WotC's bottom line . . . it is a problem worth some practical and helpful solutions beyond "just step up".

LesserThan

Explorer

Interactive NPCs​

This has been AI for nearly 30 years. Video games have given "mobs", the equivalent of D&D "monster", any entity not played by a character, an AI for path parsing, attack choosing/threat assessment, attack method, etc. Some they just want to turn tabletop into a video game?

And then there's the most challenging aspect of play that WOTC struggles with to this day: having enough Dungeon Masters to support a group.
Again, video games. WotC struggles with having GMs because nobody wants to. They made a version or versions of the game that too many people want to "play", but nobody wants to run. If the "most popular" edition is so good, then why does nobody want to run it? There is a reason the Banker is not a regular player option for Monopoly, and everyone shares the role. WotC is trying for this, and it does not quite fit with D&D.

If WotC wants more people running the game, they need to design a game more people enjoy running. This does not mean make one less fun to play, but an actual reason that makes people want to run it.

Reading many social media and watching videos, the backlash for running the game and doing ANYTHING that might offend someone to end up ridiculed online, or reviewed in sone "gamer horror stories" makes fewer people want to run the game. The strange modern gaming culture WotC hangs around with makes it too risky for many people to want to try for fear of being ostracized for making the simplest of mistakes socially, not even mechanics or rulings mistakes!

An automat DM is not going to fair better than a video game because it will offer, ONETRUEWAY, the way it was programmed and learned. Might be good for convention tournament where the players are competing like the years of old. Today a DM needs fkexibility and adaptability to the individual group of players he is running for above all else. AI can not do that, at keast not these locked LLMs that can not be tailored to smaller groups as they dont have memory to select which "rulings" to apply to the rules for one individual group versus another.

The short version, an AI DM is what is known as a fool's errand.

Reynard

Legend
Sigh.

Yes, that is the problem. Folks who do not have the confidence to take on the challenging task of DM.
Sometimes you gotta jump in.the water.
Just saying, "Well, step up then!" does not help anyone. It's like asking someone with depression or anxiety, "Have you tried just NOT being depressed or anxious?"
Are you serious?
Those of us who find the confidence to give it a try, quickly realize that while it's more work than being a player, it's not that hard. Winging it and not being perfect is okay. But just expecting someone to magically find that confidence is not helpful, not in the least.
There are thousands of videos online to help folks get over that first hump. Surely 1 in 5 is capable?
And for D&D to grow . . . both the game itself and WotC's bottom line . . . it is a problem worth some practical and helpful solutions beyond "just step up".
I agree, WotC could be doing more to cultivate new GMs.

Dire Bare

Legend
The day that I will let AI replace the GMs is the day I will officially give up on ever playing RPGs again. This is disgusting to see this website jump in on new fad that literally aims to remove humans from all creative process, that would kill human creativity if they could, just for some techbros in silicon valley make a quick buck off ruining people's lives.
Huh?

I would guess that most folks on this site don't plan on using AI to replace the DM. The technology isn't there yet anyway.

But . . . chill. "This website" isn't jumping in on a new fad, this article is @talien reporting on developments in our hobby. Love it or hate it, AI has been a part of the landscape for decades already, and continues to become a part of our lives as the technology improves and companies look for ways to increase their bottom lines.

We are discussing AI and how it might be used in D&D . . . for good or for ill.

Remove ads

Remove ads