RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Yeaaaa.....

For anyone not aware, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT a cute show about cute magical girls. This thing is a dystopian horror about futility, obsession, and the pointless struggle against despair. It is DARK the more you dig into. It was created as a subversion of the magical girl genre.

That's the one where the magical girl thing is like a ponzi scheme, right?

like, IIRC thet's the one where all the magical girls are destined, as a result of the way the magic works, to eventually become villains, and so they need more and more nagical girls to keep them in check (leading in turn to more and more villains in a vicious cycle), is that correct?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm sure someone thought this was well-designed, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten published

View attachment 265176

However, in my completely subjective opinion (as objective opinions don't exist) this is badly designed and doesn't deserve to be brought forward into the newer editions of DnD.
While I have no idea what the D&D monster is, it's very clearly based on Buer, a demon and President of Hell and teacher of philosophy described in the real-world 16th century text, Pseudomonarchia Daemonun. So, blame Johann Weyer, the Dutch occultist, for the bad design, not WotC (that looks like the type of art put out in WotC D&D, not TSR D&D).

1667151716760.png

Oofta

Legend
While I have no idea what the D&D monster is, it's very clearly based on Buer, a demon and President of Hell and teacher of philosophy described in the real-world 16th century text, Pseudomonarchia Daemonun. So, blame Johann Weyer, the Dutch occultist, for the bad design, not WotC (that looks like the type of art put out in WotC D&D, not TSR D&D).

View attachment 265186
It's a Roving Mauler, published in the Tome of Magic in 2006. Based on the Buer as you said.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's a Roving Mauler, published in the Tome of Magic in 2006. Based on the Buer as you said.
Ah, gotcha. I never bought that book, although I see that's the one with the Binder class I've heard good, or at least interesting, things about. Thanks for the reference.

Um, maybe a different list?

The list I was seeing had multiple Harry Potter movies, BFG, The House with the Clock in the Walls, Mrs. Peregrines House for Children...

Here, let me see if I can find the list again.

Okay, here was the list I skimmed. 84 Best Fantasy Movies of All Time, Ranked .

Now, instead of just claiming this is a bad list, let's look through it.

Out of 84 movies, I find a total of 12 movies that are serious, medieval fantasy (Five of those are Tolkien, so almost HALF). To put that in context there are 9 Harry Potter movies alone. If I compare Serious, Medieval Fantasy movies to "Modern young kid discovers magic" , we are looking at, what? Twenty-Five? Double the amount.

And even if we combine these two groups, we aren't even looking at HALF the list. Again, serious medieval fantasy movies like Tolkien aren't the end all, be all of Fantasy, and that means Tolkien isn't the end all be all of fantasy.

Now I'm not super familiar with these, but Carnival Row doesn't sound like it is Medieval Fantasy. Shadow and Bone I thought was set in the modern world, as it was a masquerade style story. Rings is just... Tolkien again. Which means your only other show showing halflings is Willow. Which is also one of the movies. Dark Materials is NOT a DnD style world at ALL. Like, not even close.

So... Wheel of Time, Witcher, Willow and Rings of Power? FOUR shows? I can name more Fantasy TV shows in American Animation that don't conform to DnD than you were able to find here.

Centaurworld
Adventure Time
Over the Garden Wall
Star vs The Forces of Evil
Steven Universe
Thundercats
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
Cuphead

So, again Tolkien =/= Fantasy for the majority of people. And other than Willow (a niche 40 year old movie) you haven't named a single property other than Tolkien that features halflings.
Carnival row is basically steampunk D&D.

'Fantasy' makes for a poor genre descriptor as it covers most any non-earth stuff that doesn't fall into the sci-fi bucket and pretty much any earth stuff with any kind of magic at all.

It's basically "miscellaneous" by definition.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Just trying to give you some advice. Take it or leave it, I'm not discussing this topic with you any more.

I always love how your advice seems to assume I'm a massive egotist who can't see past his own nose. Really endears me to your ideas to constantly be attacked every time you discuss things with me.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm sure someone thought this was well-designed, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten published

View attachment 265176

However, in my completely subjective opinion (as objective opinions don't exist) this is badly designed and doesn't deserve to be brought forward into the newer editions of DnD.

See, it is this strange thing that happens. If we can agree "some things are badly designed" even if that is purely a subjective judgement of something, then we can begin to discuss "is this thing badly designed?". Instead, you insist halflings are perfect and refuse to consider they could be improved, and the VERY IDEA that something in DnD's past COULD POSSIBLY have been badly designed has required me to make multiple posts and argue fervently that somethings are badly designed.
OK, that lion is cool. Where did you find it?

Edit: @Faolyn and @Oofta answered above. Thanks!

Chaosmancer

Legend
As @Oofta mentioned above, your statements read like objective fact when they really aren't. If you didn't want people to call you out on that, I would suggest expressing your opinions as opinions.

Right, funny how that works. Can't discuss design, because that's only an opinion and not an "objective fact". So we simply won't discuss it (because you'll dismiss anything I couch in ephuemisms as not worth discussing) and you maintain the status quo just like you want.

Or maybe you just want me to say something blatantly obvious like "it is my opinion". Man, I would have a lot less effort put into this thread if I simply regurgitated other people's opinions instead of reaching my own conclusions. Of course, if that was all I was doing, I'd credit that person, so you'd know it wasn't my opinion and you could discuss THEIR opinion instead. Sadly, I think for myself so 80% of my posts are actually my opinions and conclusions.

A lot of things have changed in 30 years, that's actually objective. In general, I prefer 5e's ruleset to the 1e game that DL was made for and that I grew up on (although I do like Level Up better, and there are a number of things in 1e I like over 5e, including their design philosophy). I feel the 2e and 3e updates to DL worked hard to be additive rather then remove elements or add ones that were clearly stated as not being present.

5e is not doing this. The design philosophy has shifted in just the last 2-3 years. I strongly suspect that if Dragonlance had been released for 5e in, say, 2016, we would get a substantially different product than we are getting now, and likely one I would actually spend money on. But of course that's speculation.

Soooo....

Vague statement that things have changed. Kind of funny since we just came off a conversation of how we should continue focusing on a 90~ year old work as the focal point of all fantasy.

Your general likes of various rule systems. Which doesn't really apply to specific lore.

Dragonlance, for some unknown reason, as it has little to nothing to do with the conversation so far.

Maybe there is a point?

The point is, people have different opinions on what game elements are or are not important, and what things should change or not change.

Ah, here it is. The exact thing I said. "We can discuss it."

You realize very few discussions happen when everyone agrees and is on the same page right? You are stating this like somehow after three threads worth of being told I'm wrong, I somehow don't understand that other people have opinions that may differ from mine. This isn't a revelation to me. I know.

In my opinion, relatively little in any established setting should be changed, mostly just the anti-inclusive stuff I mentioned, and even that can be additive (witness the new Ravenloft handling of the Vistani. They didn't actually remove the possibility of events happening as they did, but they did expand and enhance their culture so they weren't a bad stereotype). It gives players and DMs options they should have front and center without being prescriptive.

Huh, why does not changing things give them "options they should have"? Why is that they SHOULD have halflings? That makes it sound like fantasy would be incomplete without Halflings. But, as we've established, the vast vast vast majority of Fantasy does not include child-sized, pastoral farming people who seclude themselves from the world and act exactly like humans.

I mean, it is your opinion, but why? If it is just "because I like it that way" then, well, I'm glad you like things, but that isn't a strong defense. People like canoes carved from logs, but that didn't stop us from making OTHER kinds of water vessels, some of which are far superior than log canoes at things we consider important for water transportation.

I stand by my opinion that orcs as anything more than a one-of-a-kind oddity are unnecessary and IMO unwanted for DL.

I don't care. We aren't discussing Dragonlance in the specific.

For other stuff added to the general game over time? That can be a discussion I would be happy to engage in, but my answer is never going to be, "If it's in the PH, it's in every campaign setting".

Okay? First of all, you seem completely UNhappy to engage in that conversation, considering how much effort I've put into trying to prevent it from derailing. Secondly, no one ever stated that we are going to include a by-law in DnD that states every single thing in the PHB MUST be included in every campaign setting. That has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Now, many of us have recognized that things int he PHB are OFTEN included in campaign settings, because the PHB is the fundamental Core, and it would be strange is most campaign settings didn't include the fundamental core aspects of the game. This is important, because that means that if the things in the PHB are not top quality, then we are putting sub-par content into the majority of campaigns, but this is again not something we have been discussing, at all.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's the one where the magical girl thing is like a ponzi scheme, right?

like, IIRC thet's the one where all the magical girls are destined, as a result of the way the magic works, to eventually become villains, and so they need more and more nagical girls to keep them in check (leading in turn to more and more villains in a vicious cycle), is that correct?

You are pretty close to correct. Close enough that you have the correct show

So, to go through the order a bit, here is what happens. A creature called a Kyubey finds a young pre-teen girl who is suffering. They offer to grant the girl one wish of their heart's desire, and in exchange they will gain magical powers and fight "Witches". This is about all they are told.

The girl's soul is removed from her body and placed in a gem, leaving her ageless and nearly invincible (they aren't told about that part) and basically turns them into a Lich. The gem is the source of their magic, and since it is also their soul they die when it is destroyed or removed from their body. Using magic corrupts the gem, and only through the use of the "Grief Seeds" dropped by slain Witches, can the gem be purified. Despair and dark emotions also corrupt the gem, and can be "removed" by the use of a Grief Seed.

If a gem is fully corrupted, the gem shatters, killing the girl and turning her into a Witch, who will then seek to kill and devour magical girls and humans to gain power. This is often caused by overwhelming despair, which becomes the Witches' default emotional state. (This is also not told to the girls).

This does lead to more girls needed to fight more witches, which create more girls needed to fight more witches, but that isn't the "final goal" per se.

The energy released by the "wavering emotions" of the girls and witches is utilized by the Kyubey in an attempt to stop entropy. They are emotionless beings and have no sense of morality, so the engine revving up is all good as far as they are concerned, despite the terrifying toll and emotional distress they are continuously inflicting and creating.

Chaosmancer

Legend

View attachment 265186

So... don't hold the people who looked at a bad design and copied it without a second thought responsible for their work?

No thanks. You decided to use the design whole-sale, then it is your fault that the design was used whole-sale, you don't get to blame other people for your lack of desire to alter the design.

Remove ads

Remove ads