RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that nearly no one ever actually argued that?

Kinda like the automatic assumption that if you would like to see any change then you must hate halflings. :erm:
Oh, but people have absolutely insisted that the current version of halfling is archaic, should be removed from D&D and is "no longer popular" despite the fact that they are part of the most popular fantasy show released in 2022

There's really not much to say. Some people want Hobbitses in the game. Some people don't. Some people want Halflings to be more than their origins, and some people don't care for them in any form.

Nobody's opinions are going to change, no matter how eloquently you explain your position, so naturally the debate circles around to "well, if you don't like Halflings, why do you like all/are you not hating on these other things that are way more problematic?"

Because there's really no point of debate; if you say "I hate Halflings and want them out of the PHB", that's not a discussion. All you can get are people who agree with you or not. Especially if your mind cannot be changed in the first place.

What did surprise me is how the thread died out, and came back to life months later spontaneously, only to repeat the same cycle.

That's the D&D revolving door afterlife for you

Chaosmancer

Legend
I wish doctors were allowed to be in D&D. Magical healing really guts the concept, and I would vastly prefer a doctor to a cleric, druid or bard for any sci-fi or science fantasy-based games.

I mean, agreed that I like having doctors a little more. It is possible to mix in doctors with magical healing, and I've seen a few properties that do so.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Except every single playable race does something people do or have done. There's some cosmetic differences thrown in, but never anything that makes much of a difference.

Which is why people are so confused and trying to find something, anything really, different about how halflings are somehow deficient but other races are not.

And we've explained it again and again and again. And you just refuse to accept what the issues we have are and insist that you know what it really is that we are upset about.

The thing is that I can find things that goblins do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that gnomes do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that dwarves do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that Elves do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that Orcs do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

But when we look to halflings, there is nothing fantastical. And then we are told that that's the point, they aren't fantastical. Which leaves us scratching our heads because why would we want a fantasy race that isn't fantastical? It is like saying you can make up any possible plant you want to see, and picking short, suburbia grass.

Faolyn

(she/her)
And we've explained it again and again and again. And you just refuse to accept what the issues we have are and insist that you know what it really is that we are upset about.

The thing is that I can find things that goblins do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that gnomes do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that dwarves do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that Elves do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.

I can find things that Orcs do that humans have not done, or are a fantastical take on what humans have done.
Like what? Because I literally can't think of a thing these races have done that humans haven't done.

Humans, in real-life, can build amazing contraptions like gnomes (look at any clockwork or Rube Goldburg device), can carve mountains into amazing sculptures and cities like dwarfs (check out any number of huge monuments, or the City of Petra, or the Pyramids), bend living trees into amazing sculptures like elves (living sculptures, tree shaping, bonzai), and... go to war and act like bandits like goblins and orcs. Assuming you're going for traditional, monstrous goblins and orcs, of course. Literally the only things that elves, dwarfs, gnomes, goblins, and orcs have done that humans haven't are things that involve magic or setting-specific supernatural beings.

If you can't find the fantastical among the halflings, it's because you're not looking in the right places. Halfling fantastical-ness lies in their general peacefulness (or at least lack of waging wars), their hominess, their cooking, their cheeriness, even in the face of disaster, their ability to get along with others, things like that.

In a D&D world, humans typically don't build amazing contraptions as well as the gnomes do, don't carve stone like the dwarfs do, and don't engage in tree-shaping like elves do. And they often don't even do as much banditry and (pointless) war as goblins and orcs do.

Which means that humans aren't quite as good at cooking as halflings are, aren't as good at hospitality as halflings are, have a harder time staying in good cheer during bad times than halflings do, and are generally less congenial and accepting of others than halflings are. This doesn't even mean that game-humans are worse than real-humans are in these areas--there are going to be really good human chefs and humans who can smile in the worst of times, just like there are humans who are amazing stonemasons and humans that are great inventors. It just means that halflings are better.

Sorry that's not flashy or combat-effective for you, but nobody said every racial stereotype has to be used with dice.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Like what? Because I literally can't think of a thing these races have done that humans haven't done.

Humans, in real-life, can build amazing contraptions like gnomes (look at any clockwork or Rube Goldburg device), can carve mountains into amazing sculptures and cities like dwarfs (check out any number of huge monuments, or the City of Petra, or the Pyramids), bend living trees into amazing sculptures like elves (living sculptures, tree shaping, bonzai), and... go to war and act like bandits like goblins and orcs. Assuming you're going for traditional, monstrous goblins and orcs, of course. Literally the only things that elves, dwarfs, gnomes, goblins, and orcs have done that humans haven't are things that involve magic or setting-specific supernatural beings.

So, humans can meditate and relive memories of their past lives? Not like, one or two people, but every human as just a natural part of their existence can do this as easily as we fall asleep and dream? Elves do.

And, I like how we immediately cast aside magic like it doesn't matter for a fantasy race. Sure, it is magic, but it is still part of the gnomish identity to be able to speak with beasts and cast illusions. Some versions of rock gnomes or other inventor style gnomes are depicted with extreme cognitive abilities. For example, I have talked before about Cornie Fizzlesprocket from a fantasy series. One of the things that gets her in trouble is her ability, as a gnome, to literally count every second in the day. She has an internal clock so precise that she realizes the mind-affecting things she is being subjected to, because she has lost a full minute of time. I know it isn't a classiv DnD-ism, but that level of attention to detail, where you can just think "It has been 25,261 seconds since I woke up" is something that if any human is capable of it is rare.

What about being able to touch a stone wall and sense any and all weaknesses in it? Heck, now Dwarves can SEE through stone with tremorsense. Not many humans how can just touch stone and then list off its properties. Dwarves have been shown to do that with stone and metal.

And no, I wouldn't go with traditional monster goblins and orcs. There have been quite better versions of them made. I'm currently enamored with the idea of orcs from MCDM who is making DnD 5e supplemental material. Their orcs have something called "Bloodfire" representing the typical passionate version of orcs, but tying it to a biological factor that their blood can literally burn in their veins as they fight. Goblins I am still enamored with the version from The Wandering Inn fantasy story, where it seems that they go through a multi-stage life cycle, growing from Goblins to hobgoblins to massive ogre like beings.

No human I know of triples in size and gains the strength to uproot trees and crush stones when they hit their 40's.

If you can't find the fantastical among the halflings, it's because you're not looking in the right places. Halfling fantastical-ness lies in their general peacefulness (or at least lack of waging wars), their hominess, their cooking, their cheeriness, even in the face of disaster, their ability to get along with others, things like that.

Right, how about this. How often have the Goliaths gone to war? The Firbolg? How bout a softball, surely something as violently aggressive as Trolls have waged wars right? Halflings are defined by peacefulness, and "lack of waging wars" is also pretty false. Especially considering that halflings have been depicted going to war to support humans.

And the rest is just cooking and being nice. And I think considering some of the things I've listed for the other races it should be fairly self-explanatory why "cook good and nice" isn't really living up to the same standards.

In a D&D world, humans typically don't build amazing contraptions as well as the gnomes do, don't carve stone like the dwarfs do, and don't engage in tree-shaping like elves do. And they often don't even do as much banditry and (pointless) war as goblins and orcs do.

Which means that humans aren't quite as good at cooking as halflings are, aren't as good at hospitality as halflings are, have a harder time staying in good cheer during bad times than halflings do, and are generally less congenial and accepting of others than halflings are. This doesn't even mean that game-humans are worse than real-humans are in these areas--there are going to be really good human chefs and humans who can smile in the worst of times, just like there are humans who are amazing stonemasons and humans that are great inventors. It just means that halflings are better.

And, again, "cooking and nice" isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Just like "shapes trees or carves stone" isn't what I'm looking for from dwarves and elves.

And, if nothing has ever shown how badly DnD needed to rebrand orcs and goblins, it is that their only defining feature for DnD fans is "kills people and takes their stuff."

Sorry that's not flashy or combat-effective for you, but nobody said every racial stereotype has to be used with dice.

Reincarnations and the ability to change gender overnight isn't combat-effective either. Yet somehow I seem to be satisfied with that for defining elves. It is almost as if, and I know I have only said this dozens upon dozens of times, it isn't about combat and war.

Remove ads

Remove ads