RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I would like to compare it with some superheroes what aren't too popular in the begining, until the comic publisher calls the right screenwritter, and then this finds the right style, and the character earn more popularity.

Maybe in the next year Fortnite create a size-change potion, and then the PCs can become giants or halflings, and after of lots of games in the creative mode the halflings become popular as (noisy) gunslingers.

If you create with your imagination then you have to be enough openminded, and you can't reject the options. Don't close those doors but leave it for later, and then you may find the right space for them.

Well, considering I demonstrated fairly bluntly that real world humans have that drive and ambition, and that it isn't inhuman at all, something you would have had to have read to quote the very last sentence of my post....

Seems like trying to claim that humans aren't human because they have drive and ambition is... kind of trying to make up an extreme version. I mean it is possible that the language used in the PHB to describe humans, matching with real-world humans, is meant to be some extreme mythical version of inhuman humans, but that seems a bit silly to me comapred to them just... describing humans.
And yet they include a description of them rather than saying "just like every other human you know in real life but in fantasyland".. They had a page count and an art budget on those pages for a race no player should need an introduction to (by your logic).

Just like they do for every other race in the PHB.

By your logic, they did so solely so you could ignore it and reference the history of the Inuit people, the 16th century spice trade, the War of the Roses, and all the rest of human history as a yardstick by which to measure the other races halflings, rather than use the descriptions and art they paid good money to have printed.

Sure. That makes more sense.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't belong to a religion that espouses reincarnation, nor do I personally believe in it.

Oh, so.... it isn't true that all humans are reincarnations who can access their past lives as easily as deciding to sit down and think about it? It isn't just a biological fact about them that is, to use your favorite words, objectively true?

So, in a case where it is biologically and objectively true, that would be... different from the human experience? So your entire argument is a pointless "but there's a religion that thinks it is true!" instead of dealing with the fact that elves experience something humans don't.

This is what I wrote: "...Unless you are claiming that D&D humans have to follow a particular religious model based on an Abrahamic-style reskinning of the Greco-Roman pantheon? Or that any D&D human religion that involves reincarnation is automatically false?"

I take it by your lack of response to what I actually wrote and your attempt to deflect by saying I was being bigoted, that you do believe humans in D&D can't be reincarnated or have a religion that involves reincarnation.

I can imagine such a religion just fine. I'd have to go back and check but I'm pretty sure the main religion in the setting my friends and I built together involves reincarnation for every sentient race (I would not be the one DMing this world, so I don't know how the DM plans to handle such things mechanically). I can also imagine a religion for elves that doesn't involve reincarnation--i.e., the way elves were treated in all previous editions. In fact, the elves in my current setting don't reincarnation; they turn into nature spirits. I also don't use Correllon or Lolth.

I can also imagine a world where some humans get reincarnated and some go to an afterlife and some dissipate into nothingness. That MToF says that elves reincarnate literally means nothing beyond "here's our idea for elves, we're going to use it in our books."

And I can imagine a religion where humans worship stones and gain tremorsense. I can also imagine a religion where humans worship animals and develop animal traits. And I can imagine a religion where humans worship undeath and become immortals reliant on the feasting of blood.

Somehow, that doesn't mean that humans and dwarves or humans and tabaxi or humans and vampires are identical in every way. That just means I can imagine a religion whose power alters humans into something not human. You want to force me down this path, because then everything is just humans and you are right and fantasy races basically serve no purpose. But it is a ridiculous point. Just because I can imagine a religion where humans grow fur and claws and tails doesn't mean that humans are naturally wolf people.

He said "I don't remember ever making that argument", and I don't particularly feel like trawling through hundreds of pages of posts to prove him wrong.

And here's you missing my point.

Well, since you didn't clarify what point you think I missed...

No I didn't.

There, that should be a fine response.

You know what the cultural and mechanical differences are, because they're listed in the PHB, MTF, SCAG, and EGW. It's not my job to read for you.

And I have read them. The differences are minor to the point of non-existence on the cultural front. Gnomes are a bit more pranksterish and don't live on farms, that's about it. That is a cultural divide that can be easily overcome by saying that halflings are a subrace. After all, the cultural divide between Wood Elves and Drow is far larger than that.

And mechanics are trivially easy to change, plus are the weakest thing to base a race off of. Additionally, there is a rather easy way to slide halflings into a gnome subrace. Mechanically speaking.

So? All that shows is that the person who wrote that probably based it on D&D.

So if it is based on a DnD gnome, what's the problem with referencing it again? Based on DnD, so it should be able to be applied to DnD since you can't find the difference between them and a DnD gnome.

Yes. The reason is that the writers chose that name.

Seriously?

Well, guess I'll let you in on a writing secret. Kind of a big one, don't know if I'm supposed to share this without getting my writer's license revoked. When we name something like a race in writing? There is a reason for it. We don't just pick the name randomly out of a hat, but we name them intentionally. And, often, when we do so with a common name like gnome? It is because it calls back to that thing.

So, no, I don't think the reason is just "because that's what their name is" there are qualities between them that are shared in common.

Who, precisely, has told you that "changing any of those factors would make them decidedly not halflings"? I ask because you repeatedly misrepresent people and what they say, and so I am inclined to believe that in reality, maybe one person has said that changing a halfling would make it a not-halfling, and you decided to claim that tons of people have said that.

Right, you want me to tell you precisely who said it. So, I'll need to go back over a year and a half or so of discussion, reading every post. And then, if I find anything, it isn't like you will immediately accuse me of misrepresenting them and what they said.

You won't, because you already have accused me of misrepresenting them and what they said. You have no evidence, you just want to believe I'm a malicious actor. Heck, we aren't even supposed to be discussing, but you had to start pulling me into another series of spaghetti posts so you can accuse me of wrong doing.

So, instead, let us go to this place called imagination for a moment. Imagine I find evidence, and I lay it out, and I prove that I was told that some people believe that changing halflings in any meaningful way would destroy them as a concept. What would you do, assuming you believed my evidence? Well, you would either agree with the person that changing them shouldn't happen, or you would disagree. If you disagreed with them, you might say something along the lines of "Well, I don't think that"

And, if you don't think that, then we could, I don't know... maybe discuss ways to change halflings? Instead of hurling insults and accusations we could.. do something productive? It would be nice for a change.

So, instead of me trying to prove to you that I'm not a bald-faced liar and a troll and anything else you may want to call me, let's focus instead on a more basic question. Do you believe that halflings can be altered without getting rid of them? Maybe given magical powers or an origin? Or Not? Because that seems like a far more productive line of inquiry.

What type of halfling are you talking about? A D&D halfling? A Tolkien halfling? A halfling as presented from a different, non-D&D game?

Because each of those types of halflings are entities unto themselves, so if I'm talking about a D&D halfling, then I will point you at the PHB, MTF, SCAG, and EGW.

Right, so you aren't getting it.

I was asking what makes a halfling a hafling. Because words have meaning, and that name supposedly has enough meaning to define the fantasy genre according to those who go "But Tolkien!!!!!", so it has to be fairly easy for you to define it.

If instead you want to point me to things I have already read and discussed at length.... okay, cool. Halflings are two foot tall humans. Their most defining trait is being a Mary Sue that is some idealized perfect form of humanity. That's what the PHB and MTF tell me. Don't remember SCAG, don't care. And EGW says that they are dinosaur riding native people. They also run two mega-corps that are indistinguishable from the human ones except that they specialize in healing and running inns. If they aren't mask wearing "wild men" from the plains, then they are just two foot tall humans.

So, since this is what those sources tell me, and you pointed to those sources, does that mean you agree? Or are you going to actually answer the question?

Citation needed.

On what?

The lack of kings? Seems to be an accepted fact.
That halflings live in Human lands? Accepted fact
That humans go to war? Accepted Fact
That when a government goes to war, their entire country goes to war? Kind of...just how it works right? It isn't like England went around with a survey asking the various towns and villages if they wanted to participate in the War of the Roses. England went to war, so they were all at war.

I'm not sure what exactly confused you enough to require a citation.

The number of official settings I know and care about enough to comment are:

Ravenloft.

So, Delagia and Rivalis, in Darkon. I seem to recall a fan-brew halfling domain as well.

In my own game? Every major above-ground settlement.

Wait, every city in your entire world is owned and operated by Halflings? Dang, no wonder you think so highly of them. Most of my cities are split between elves, humans, goliaths/firbolgs, there is a big Genasi city, Goblins/hobgoblins. It would certainly be a different take with every single city being owned and run by halflings.

But hey, let's see about these places in Ravenloft at least right? Bigger than a village, and first up is Delagia which according to this site: Darkon In-Depth

"Delagia is a small, unsophisticated halfling village with a striking architectural style. Although a handful of large buildings line the shore, the majority of this fishing village sits atop Lake Korst, straddling the mouth of the Foaming River. The halflings' homes are rounded huts perched atop wooden supports resting on the lakebed, resembling a cluster of beaver lodges."

Is a small village.... welp. That gets discarded immediately then. But surely Rivalis is different right?

Well, it does seem to be a city at least. One mostly inhabitated by goat herders and with log cabins and cottages... But hey, in all of DnD's myriad of worlds, we have a single halfling city. Progress right?

Beats me. I said "communities" and "settlements." But here's you misrepresenting what I said to mean cities and countries, as well as failing to understand how big (or how small) an army actually needs to be in a setting where you can throw around fireballs.

Oh, so it isn't schrodinger's halflings, it is schrodinger's army size. You can make it small enough that a small village can have an army. Well, sorry, that's not how it works. You can't really have an "army" of a hundred people, even if the setting has fireballs.

And since you need a few hundred to typically be considered an army, you need more than a "community" you need a city. Minimum.

I dunno. Why don't you do some research and come up with a list?

Why would I do your research for you? I'm doing plenty of fact checking of you already. Do your own research

Why would they? The halflings own the land, not the king.

Unless it's different in your setting, of course. Or you can find some bit of text in a D&D book somewhere that says that halflings always live on human lands.

Until you can find that bit of text, however, you are talking about something that may be true in, what, your personal setting? The Realms or Greyhawk maybe? Not something that's a universal fact in D&D.

Except halflings living in human lands is ridiculously common in DnD. Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Greyhawk. I mean, Rivalis that city you named is still in a land controlled by a human, and if Darkon went to war, Rivalis is part of that war.

They don't ALWAYS live in human lands, sure. But when it is the most commonly stated fact about where halflings live is that they live in human lands, then it can kind of be assumed to be true most of the time. And if they live in human lands, they are subjects of the human rulers. I mean, unless you don't have kings controlling land via feudalism, which seems like a weird thing when DnD is chock full of Feudalism.

Why? Do you insist that the books spell out every single aspect of daily and political life in every single setting?

Seems weird you jumped from "How do halflings live with humans" to "should the books spell out every single aspect of daily and political life for every single setting"

Because, you know, they DO spell out a lot of relations between most of the races. I can tell you quite a bit about how dwarves and elves interact with humans, but it seems that halflings are kind of... ignored. Which seems weird when you then want me to answer your questions, and then make it sound like answering those questions is pointless anyways and the books shouldn't bother.

Were those questions important enough to answer or not?

It usually is. You seem to have missed those bits.

And, to quote Observer, "My race is pacifist and does not believe in war. We only kill out of personal spite."

No idea who Obsever is, but that isn't what a pacifist is. And, I've read the texts. Seems like if it should be in those texts it shouldn't be that deeply hidden and hard to figure out. You seem to have figured it out, after all, because you speak with absolute confidence, so what are the answers, since you know?

I suppose you only use official settings rather than make your own, then.

Or, and this may be crazy so read carefully. When discussing the official content of the game, I focus on the official content of the game, not my creations.

Crazy, I know. Usually when discussing official content you discuss all the fan-created unofficial content, but I've just got this crazy idea that that doesn't really address the points about official content if you focus on the unofficial content.

Way to dodge the questions again. You do that a lot, you know.

Looks up at all the questions I've repeatedly asked you to answer

Projecting much?

Opinion, not fact. We had this discussion before. And the players of the three halflings in my setting think they're plenty good.

Also, citation needed.

And the twelve players I'm currently running games for think they aren't good. We can throw numbers at each other all week long. My point was "playable" is a different standard than "good".

They are playable, but that doesn't mean they are good.

And again, you misunderstand and misrepresent. You can change gender. That's great for your character. It literally doesn't matter for anyone else's character, though, except in the hands of a good roleplayer.

Why do I care if it matters for anyone else's character? I'm not roleplaying a non-human so that other people get something from it. I'm playing the character I want, and exploring the concepts that they give me access to. I don't care about whether it gives something to someone else's character. What even is this argument? A race that can change gender is basically just human because changing your gender doesn't affect other players? This argument is nonsense.

According to one book, published for this edition, which will probably be changed the next time they come up with a Draconomicon for another edition.

Really? I thought this edition was 5e, not 3.X?

Or, maybe you need to do a little more research?

But mostly humans, as evidenced by basically every single time they've ever been used.

Nope. Again, you should do some more research.

And how often have you seen mimics take the form of rocks or something like that?

I've seen them take the form of a lot of things. I've seen doors, ceilings, floors, houses, caves, ships, bags. Chests are most common, but I've also seen chairs, lounges, stools, beds, tables, tea pots, cups.

A lot of things. Surprisingly, none of them being human exclusive items.

Still wrong about dragons
Still wrong about mindflayers
Still wrong about mimics

Um... yep.

<sigh> You really don't get the difference between in-game reasoning and out-of-game reasoning, do you.

I do. But just because there is a Doylist explanation doesn't mean that the Watsonian explanation can suck.

Because sometimes, too much fantasticalness is boring.

And too much mundanity is boring. Maybe make a point?

My understanding of your maliciousness on this point out be better if it weren't for every single one of your posts on the topic was filled with deliberate misinterpretations.

Or maybe if you just... read my points. Since you seem to get them wrong very often.

But, this is probably just a futile waste of a few hours of my time. Again.

Chaosmancer

Legend
For a short while they all ran in a single group, yes, over the 2018-19 winter. The individual characters, however, mostly pre-date this by a lot.

Digging into the records...

Hobbit Necromancer 1 - created 2013, played until 2021
Hobbit Necromancer 2 - created 2012, played until 2020 (most-played character in the campaign)
Hobbit Bard - created 2011, played until 2020
Hobbit Fighter - created 2009 (as Elf), became Hobbit 2014, played until 2020
Hobbit Thief (NPC) - created 2017, became Hobbit 2018, played until 2020 - he's the only one that might qualify as "recent".

Note that none of these characters was played continuously every week through all those years; everyone has numerous characters and they cycle in and out of parties as the mood strikes.

The four that stopped in 2020 are technically on hold, all caught in the middle of a sea voyage to their (in theory) next adventure when covid hit. The one that carried on into 2021 is also now on hold as it has got too far into everyone else's in-setting future and I have to catch all the others up.

Also, I should point out that the numbers I gave upthread including that 13 total (a number which doesn't include the two reincarnatees, noted above; they count under "other") is just for my current campaign, running since 2008.

That does make a difference

Chaosmancer

Legend
And yet they include a description of them rather than saying "just like every other human you know in real life but in fantasyland".. They had a page count and an art budget on those pages for a race no player should need an introduction to (by your logic).

Just like they do for every other race in the PHB.

By your logic, they did so solely so you could ignore it and reference the history of the Inuit people, the 16th century spice trade, and all the rest of human history as a yardstick by which to measure the other races halflings, rather than use the descriptions and art they paid good money to have printed.

Sure. That makes more sense.

They used the space to describe the races... to describe humans. Therefore, by your logic, humans are not human, because they wouldn't have spent the time and budget to describe humans if they were intending them to be human...

Weirdly, all the art for the human art budget looks...human. Am I supposed to see some inhuman features on those characters to let me know that humans aren't humans?

Because, what I'm saying, is that the humans described in the PHB are... humans. That's how you would describe humanity. It isn't some fantasy inhuman version of humanity, it's... humanity. And so trying to argue that halflings are fulfilling the niche of humanity, because humans in DnD aren't human... makes zero sense. Humans in DnD are quintessentially human.

They used the space to describe the races... to describe humans. Therefore, by your logic, humans are not human, because they wouldn't have spent the time and budget to describe humans if they were intending them to be human...

Weirdly, all the art for the human art budget looks...human. Am I supposed to see some inhuman features on those characters to let me know that humans aren't humans?

Because, what I'm saying, is that the humans described in the PHB are... humans. That's how you would describe humanity. It isn't some fantasy inhuman version of humanity, it's... humanity. And so trying to argue that halflings are fulfilling the niche of humanity, because humans in DnD aren't human... makes zero sense. Humans in DnD are quintessentially human.
I mean pretty much yeah. If they are intended to be exactly the same as real world earth humans, then including a description would be a waste of time, space, and money.

That the description comes with a whole page of non-earth fantasy ethnicities would seem to lend further weight to the idea that D&D humans are not 1 for 1 analogues with Earth humans.

Further further reinforcing that idea is the fact that D&D human share a magical setting with a whole host of speaking, dreaming, working, sentient non-human races. They do this rather than existing as functionally the only sentient game in town in a nonmagical setting.

But here's the hypocrisy of it all.

Someone brings up what the book says about humans, you go "Yeah yeah, sure but I know what humans are really like and the PHB doesnt cover all of it"..

Someone else says "Well halflings are this way to me", if it's not straight out of the PHB, you go.."THAT'S HOMEBREW..IT DOESN'T COUNT"

Faolyn

(she/her)
Oh, so.... it isn't true that all humans are reincarnations who can access their past lives as easily as deciding to sit down and think about it? It isn't just a biological fact about them that is, to use your favorite words, objectively true?
It might be. It depends on the setting. Or do you think that we're required by law or something to use every bit of D&D lore, even if it doesn't make sense in context?

And I can imagine a religion where humans worship stones and gain tremorsense. I can also imagine a religion where humans worship animals and develop animal traits. And I can imagine a religion where humans worship undeath and become immortals reliant on the feasting of blood.
I can 100% see both of those being possible, even probable.

Somehow, that doesn't mean that humans and dwarves or humans and tabaxi or humans and vampires are identical in every way. That just means I can imagine a religion whose power alters humans into something not human. You want to force me down this path, because then everything is just humans and you are right and fantasy races basically serve no purpose. But it is a ridiculous point. Just because I can imagine a religion where humans grow fur and claws and tails doesn't mean that humans are naturally wolf people.
Shockingly enough, I never claimed that humans and dwarfs and tabaxi were identical. Nor did I say that I want to force you down that path. This is you misrepresenting what I said. Again.

What I said is that even if you refuse to accept it, is that halflings don't need to have fantastical powers to be unique and special. It doesn't matter if elves are the only people in the world who can reincarnate. That doesn't make halflings any less interesting to someone who bothers to spend more than a minute thinking about htem.

He said "I don't remember ever making that argument", and I don't particularly feel like trawling through hundreds of pages of posts to prove him wrong.
Then I will take him to be correct until you can actually show me the money.

And I have read them. The differences are minor to the point of non-existence on the cultural front. Gnomes are a bit more pranksterish and don't live on farms, that's about it. That is a cultural divide that can be easily overcome by saying that halflings are a subrace. After all, the cultural divide between Wood Elves and Drow is far larger than that.

And mechanics are trivially easy to change, plus are the weakest thing to base a race off of. Additionally, there is a rather easy way to slide halflings into a gnome subrace. Mechanically speaking.
It's amazing how easy other people have it at having unique gnomes and halflings when they don't rely on TSR/WotC spoon-feeding them the lore and make up their own.

You know, at the end of this rant of yours, you say that you wasted a "few hours" of time, presumably in this response to me. Maybe you should have spent those few hours coming up with interesting cultures instead.

Seriously?

Well, guess I'll let you in on a writing secret. Kind of a big one, don't know if I'm supposed to share this without getting my writer's license revoked. When we name something like a race in writing? There is a reason for it. We don't just pick the name randomly out of a hat, but we name them intentionally. And, often, when we do so with a common name like gnome? It is because it calls back to that thing.
So when you think of "elf," do you think of

1667878872096.png

or do you think of

1667878892772.png

or do you think of

1667879012884.png

or do you think of

1667878948789.png

or do you think of

1667879077676.png

?

Because they're all elves. And they're all different, too. Literally the only thing they have in common are pointy ears.

The fact that there is a more universally accepted image of gnome is only because (a) that book by Rien Poorvliet and Wil Huygen from 1976 and (b) they haven't been used in a ton of other things, probably because they're not as sexy as elves are.

Right, you want me to tell you precisely who said it. So, I'll need to go back over a year and a half or so of discussion, reading every post. And then, if I find anything, it isn't like you will immediately accuse me of misrepresenting them and what they said.
Yup. Because you do, in fact, misrepresent and misunderstand people, blow everyone's responses out of proportion, and make straw man after straw man, over and over again. So I honestly do not believe you when you claim that multiple people have said that if you change anything about halflings they stop being halflings.

You won't, because you already have accused me of misrepresenting them and what they said. You have no evidence, you just want to believe I'm a malicious actor. Heck, we aren't even supposed to be discussing, but you had to start pulling me into another series of spaghetti posts so you can accuse me of wrong doing.
You are free to block me or simply stop answering my posts.

So, instead, let us go to this place called imagination for a moment. Imagine I find evidence, and I lay it out, and I prove that I was told that some people believe that changing halflings in any meaningful way would destroy them as a concept. What would you do, assuming you believed my evidence? Well, you would either agree with the person that changing them shouldn't happen, or you would disagree. If you disagreed with them, you might say something along the lines of "Well, I don't think that"
Let's say you find some people who did in fact say that you can't change halflings without making them not-halflings.

Why do you care what these people say? Why do you think I should care what they say?

And, if you don't think that, then we could, I don't know... maybe discuss ways to change halflings? Instead of hurling insults and accusations we could.. do something productive? It would be nice for a change.
I have mentioned many ways to improve halflings. You have dismissed them all.

Remember me talking about how to RP luck and bravery in the game? You refused, you would never use those ideas because it somehow wasn't the right type of mechanics for you. Because for some reason you insisted that the only way a halfling can be lucky or brave is for everyone to be unlucky and cowardly. That starts at around page 16-17 of this thread.

So why don't you tell us some things that would make halflings better for you?

So, instead of me trying to prove to you that I'm not a bald-faced liar and a troll and anything else you may want to call me, let's focus instead on a more basic question. Do you believe that halflings can be altered without getting rid of them? Maybe given magical powers or an origin? Or Not? Because that seems like a far more productive line of inquiry.
I have said on multiple occasions that halflings can be easily altered without getting rid of them. I don't think they need magical powers, though--I would prefer there be fewer magical races, not more.

In Level Up, one of the halfling gifts is "tuft feet," wherein their soles are so thick that they can even walk across an area affected by spike growth and not be harmed. Another gift is "burrowing claws," which is just that. One of the halfling-oriented cultures gives the ability to cook food so well that you gain temp hp when you eat it. I made a halfling gift that gave them gods-given bonuses to their slings and thrown weapons.

Right, so you aren't getting it.

I was asking what makes a halfling a hafling. Because words have meaning, and that name supposedly has enough meaning to define the fantasy genre according to those who go "But Tolkien!!!!!", so it has to be fairly easy for you to define it.
And again, citation needed. Because nobody, to my knowledge, claimed that the feral psionic cannibal halflings of Athas or the dino-riding mafia healer halflings of Eberron are not halflings. And that shows you can change halflings radically and people will still accept them as halflings.

If instead you want to point me to things I have already read and discussed at length.... okay, cool. Halflings are two foot tall humans. Their most defining trait is being a Mary Sue that is some idealized perfect form of humanity. That's what the PHB and MTF tell me. Don't remember SCAG, don't care. And EGW says that they are dinosaur riding native people. They also run two mega-corps that are indistinguishable from the human ones except that they specialize in healing and running inns. If they aren't mask wearing "wild men" from the plains, then they are just two foot tall humans.

So, since this is what those sources tell me, and you pointed to those sources, does that mean you agree? Or are you going to actually answer the question?
I'm going to repeat what I said above. Instead of spending one or more hours writing a response to me, spend that time actually thinking about the halflings. Because it's clear you don't, if that's all you got out of them.

On what?

The lack of kings? Seems to be an accepted fact.
That halflings live in Human lands? Accepted fact
Nope.

That humans go to war? Accepted Fact
That when a government goes to war, their entire country goes to war? Kind of...just how it works right? It isn't like England went around with a survey asking the various towns and villages if they wanted to participate in the War of the Roses. England went to war, so they were all at war.
Except that it's not an accepted fact that halflings only or mostly live in human lands and go to war when humans do.

Wait, every city in your entire world is owned and operated by Halflings? Dang, no wonder you think so highly of them. Most of my cities are split between elves, humans, goliaths/firbolgs, there is a big Genasi city, Goblins/hobgoblins. It would certainly be a different take with every single city being owned and run by halflings.
That's what happens when you don't make a generic world and decide to shake things up a bit by not using D&D stereotypes.

I will admit that it's only this face of the world, since my world is a cube. But one side is only ocean with a few islands, one side is the arctic wastes, one side is burning desert, and a fourth side is the divine realm. There's really only two sides that manage to have actual cities on them. But nobody knows that yet, so it might as well be the entire world.

Oh, so it isn't schrodinger's halflings, it is schrodinger's army size. You can make it small enough that a small village can have an army. Well, sorry, that's not how it works. You can't really have an "army" of a hundred people, even if the setting has fireballs.

And since you need a few hundred to typically be considered an army, you need more than a "community" you need a city. Minimum.
The smallest army in the real world is the Swiss Guard, with about 135 members. I see no reason to not to assume that D&D armies don't need to have thousands upon thousands of people when they can have spellcasters and bound extraplanar creatures and allied dragons.

Why would I do your research for you? I'm doing plenty of fact checking of you already. Do your own research
Why should I? I don't care how many halfling cities with zero humans in them there are. Because the answer is "as many as I need there to be in my world."

Except halflings living in human lands is ridiculously common in DnD. Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Greyhawk. I mean, Rivalis that city you named is still in a land controlled by a human, and if Darkon went to war, Rivalis is part of that war.
Well, then that's a trope that can be ignored as being boring now.

They don't ALWAYS live in human lands, sure. But when it is the most commonly stated fact about where halflings live is that they live in human lands, then it can kind of be assumed to be true most of the time. And if they live in human lands, they are subjects of the human rulers. I mean, unless you don't have kings controlling land via feudalism, which seems like a weird thing when DnD is chock full of Feudalism.
I can't recall the last time I've seen actual feudalism in any D&D setting.

Seems weird you jumped from "How do halflings live with humans" to "should the books spell out every single aspect of daily and political life for every single setting"

Because, you know, they DO spell out a lot of relations between most of the races. I can tell you quite a bit about how dwarves and elves interact with humans, but it seems that halflings are kind of... ignored. Which seems weird when you then want me to answer your questions, and then make it sound like answering those questions is pointless anyways and the books shouldn't bother.

Were those questions important enough to answer or not?
So answer them, then. You don't need the books to spell that out. Make up your own stuff.

No idea who Obsever is, but that isn't what a pacifist is.
MST3k. It's a joke.

And, I've read the texts. Seems like if it should be in those texts it shouldn't be that deeply hidden and hard to figure out. You seem to have figured it out, after all, because you speak with absolute confidence, so what are the answers, since you know?
I've already told you the answers. They're generally peaceful and congenial. They don't usually wage wars.

Looks up at all the questions I've repeatedly asked you to answer

Projecting much?
Except I've answered those questions probably a dozen times each.

And the twelve players I'm currently running games for think they aren't good. We can throw numbers at each other all week long. My point was "playable" is a different standard than "good".

They are playable, but that doesn't mean they are good.
Then I guess dragonborn are playable but not good because everyone at my table hates them.

Really? I thought this edition was 5e, not 3.X?

Or, maybe you need to do a little more research?
I'm sorry, where's the rule that says that any of these books are 100% true now and forever?

And too much mundanity is boring. Maybe make a point?
In your opinion, of course. Or are you a

Or maybe if you just... read my points. Since you seem to get them wrong very often.

But, this is probably just a futile waste of a few hours of my time. Again.
I'll make it simple for you: don't waste your time by replying to me.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The smallest army in the real world is the Swiss Guard, with about 135 members. I see no reason to not to assume that D&D armies don't need to have thousands upon thousands of people when they can have spellcasters and bound extraplanar creatures and allied dragons.
Never mind that a single Dragon often is an army unto itself. :)
I can't recall the last time I've seen actual feudalism in any D&D setting.
I still have it in mine, in various regions.

Oofta

Legend

Since this is a weird point of contention with you, I used the search function to find what I actually said:
There's only so much design space available. I don't think you need obvious supernatural capabilities to make a race unique. Take lucky as an example. You think it doesn't have much impact, but everyone at the table tends to cheer when one of our halfling PCs uses it. It comes up a lot if the player takes the feat to share their luck with everyone at the table. Brave? That primarily applies to standing up against a threat from something bigger and badder, which for halflings is most things.

In other words I think lucky (and brave) are just as impactful as being able to talk to small animals, probably mores so in games I've player. YMMV.

I've also pointed out that the only race where every subspecies has magic is Tieflings. High elves can cast cantrips, but wood elves don't have anything other than a better chance of hiding in natural environments. To me it's not particularly defining in any case. High elves learn cantrips when they're growing up just like most people are assumed to learn the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. Wood elves are better at hiding in the woods because that's what their culture deems important.

As far as "proving me wrong", good grief. I phrased my response in a way to be as non confrontational as I could. You should try it sometime.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I mean pretty much yeah. If they are intended to be exactly the same as real world earth humans, then including a description would be a waste of time, space, and money.

That the description comes with a whole page of non-earth fantasy ethnicities would seem to lend further weight to the idea that D&D humans are not 1 for 1 analogues with Earth humans.

Further further reinforcing that idea is the fact that D&D human share a magical setting with a whole host of speaking, dreaming, working, sentient non-human races. They do this rather than existing as functionally the only sentient game in town in a nonmagical setting.

I truly am stunned that the fact that humans are real, and that I understand what a human is, should somehow mean that when something is referred to as human, and described, that I must assume it is non-human.

No, just because they made up some ethnicities and didn't treat humans any differently than they treated the other races, that doesn't mean that humans in DnD are inhuman beings. This is the most bizarro argument I've ever heard. Humans are... human. That's the point.

But here's the hypocrisy of it all.

Someone brings up what the book says about humans, you go "Yeah yeah, sure but I know what humans are really like and the PHB doesnt cover all of it"..

Someone else says "Well halflings are this way to me", if it's not straight out of the PHB, you go.."THAT'S HOMEBREW..IT DOESN'T COUNT"

Because, and I know this seems to be a difficult point to get across. Humans are real. Right now, I can walk about 10 ft, and there is a whole room with them in it. I've been talking to humans all day.

Just like how I can basically put in a squirrel into DnD without it really being homebrew, because squirrels exist, and they kind of can just be rats with climb speeds, because... I can reference what a squirrel is without any need for fantasy definitions. Because squirrels are real. They exist. I can go out and get one if I really really wanted to.

Halflings, just because it seems to be needed to state this, are not real. They don't actually exist in the real world. So, unlike humans which are real and hopefully everyone at your table understands that and knows what a human is, we need halflings to be defined. Because they aren't real.

And, therefore, since they need to be defined, if you have changed that definition to include things that are not part of their official definition, you have changed them. And this needs to be addressed, because while I want to change them, saying they don't need to be changed officially because you changed them is unhelpful. However, I can say that humans have three eyes and six arms and fly with the power of flatulence, and everyone knows immediately that that isn't true. That isn't what a human is. Because humans are real. It doesn't matter if you changed them to be that, because you can't change the definition of what a human is.

And, the greater part of this, is that even if you want to solely focus on DnD and nothing else, ignore eveyrthing in the real world and just look solely at the depictions of humans in DnD... you are still wrong. Because we have plenty of humans who are commoners. Who lack ambitions. Who prefer spending time with their family. Because we didn't need to include that in the Human entry, because humans are real, we know them, and we have been telling stories about humans and what they want for tens of thousands of years. So saying that these depictions are impossible, or are actually the realm of halflings, is ridiculous. This has been a human thing, and it is a human thing in DnD, and you need to stop insisting it isn't a human thing.

Remove ads

Remove ads