• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
There are two reasons, the Tolkien association, and that they are faffy to do in live action.

Still, the Amazon LotR prequal has halflings, despite them not actually appearing in the Silmarillion.

I'm sure Tolkien didn't at any point think "I am creating a four good race setting".

They are minor in Tolkien.

Nope, my players are fond of halflings because they are cute, English, and they like the "Lucky" trait. And our settings are not monoculture, low race, or hard good-evil.
cute and English are not compatible it defies the laws of nature, aside from maybe dogs.
You can drop them into any high race setting, because no one needs to have a special culture or weird physical features, they might just have blue skin or a knobbly forehead.

Since high race is standard for D&D now, I would say that's a problem solved.
the problem of a high-race setting is eventually people get bored of the lack of connection there is no internal logic just cool people adventuring which will not keep people long term given the list of things dnd competes with for valuable human free time.

Oofta

Legend
The basic complaint with halflings seems to be that they're "just short people with a couple of traits". That's it? Are any races in D&D anything other than people with a handful of minor traits that emphasize some aspect of human nature? For that matter, is it really that different in the vast majority of fantasy or sci-fi?

We're human. We humanize the motivations and thought patterns of practically every living creature to one degree or other. From Star Trek to Star Wars to Babylon Five to D&D, alien species are fundamentally just humans with rubber masks. They have tendencies toward some aspect of culture so they have a common identity that certain special individuals or small groups can fight back against.

the problem of a high-race setting is eventually people get bored of the lack of connection there is no internal logic just cool people adventuring which will not keep people long term given the list of things dnd competes with for valuable human free time.
"Just cool people adventuring" suits us just fine, and no one seems to be getting bored with it.

Lore heavy worldbuilding seems to be the path to boredom to me.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The basic complaint with halflings seems to be that they're "just short people with a couple of traits". That's it? Are any races in D&D anything other than people with a handful of minor traits that emphasize some aspect of human nature? For that matter, is it really that different in the vast majority of fantasy or sci-fi?

We're human. We humanize the motivations and thought patterns of practically every living creature to one degree or other. From Star Trek to Star Wars to Babylon Five to D&D, alien species are fundamentally just humans with rubber masks. They have tendencies toward some aspect of culture so they have a common identity that certain special individuals or small groups can fight back against.
Dragonborn breath fire.
Tiefling have infernal magic
Goliaths lift like ogres
Genasi have elemental resistances and features
Aaracroka fly

"Halflings reroll if they roll very bad"

Naaaaah.
Pf2 Ancestries rely on optional feat for power and it makes members of a race share way too little in common.
PF2, the game where your wood elf character has to spend their sole 1st level racial feat to learn Elf Lore.

The problem with this approach is that you end up having to choose between racial feats that are mechanically useful, and racial feats that make sense for the character.

PF2, the game where your wood elf character has to spend their sole 1st level racial feat to learn Elf Lore.

The problem with this approach is that you end up having to choose between racial feats that are mechanically useful, and racial feats that make sense for the character.
Also the game where your wood elf character can get a climb speed without spellcasting or class feat expenditure. Also the game where an elf being long-lived can have any mechanical relevance.

The options are many. Some are more niche than others and that is kind of a problem. As it relates to your mechanical issues with halfling features, specifically, the game solves them pretty handily.

I prefer it because I think it does better than the "if you don't like bad racial features, then choose a different race" approach that 5e employs.

As it relates to pf2e, the heritages provide the baselines for what all members of the subtype have in common, and the feats provide great ways to choose how you become a dwarfier dwarf as time goes on. I'd say there are definitely too many feats to choose from, but I like the baked in diversity within the families. Seems like our mileage have varied.
Different heritages provide different baselines. The baseline provides what different members of an ancestry have in common.

To use halflings as an example, all halflings have 6 base hp instead of 8, are small instead of medium, have a +2 Dex and +2 Wis and -2 Str and Keen Eyes.

By way of contrast (using the term loosely), all elves have 6 base hp instead of 8, are medium instead of small, have +2 Dex, +2 Int and -2 Con, and Low-Light Vision.

Note that one of the heritages, Twilight Halfling, gives halflings low-light vision, further blurring the distinction.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
"Just cool people adventuring" suits us just fine, and no one seems to be getting bored with it.

Lore heavy worldbuilding seems to be the path to boredom to me.
no heavy exposition bores people, people love a well-built world they enjoy getting lost in them, hell even critical role has world-building if only so it makes so story sense, no world-building only works in adventures league where everyone is there only for themselves no proper group.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads