RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Halfling are in my home game. The vlings (similar to elves) and humans were able to procreate for a while. No one knows why or how, but now they are unable. Some say it was the god's will, others say it was magic... some say love had something to do with it. But, one thing is certain, the offspring of the vlings and humans were short. Their name, halfling, actually started out as half-vling.
Several hundred years later, some of the halflings don't even believe they are descendants of vlings. Scholars know, but the teaching is not widespread, and is mostly kept alive through storytelling - which the halflings are famous for; their dialect is known for lots of onomatopes, whistles, odd sounds for different punctuation, etc.
They live in the same kingdom as the vling and humans; however, most tend to stay on the outskirts in farming villages. This is a product of the original vling and human couples feeling like outcasts in the city, as many in the court and church opposed their relationship.

As far as my players' perspectives, they work well within the campaign world. There is a touch of the familiar, and enough in their culture and appearance that make them a little different.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I absolutely love halflings, so this “problem” feels kinda overblown to me. Yes, Tolkien’s hobbits were generally not the adventuring types, but first of all both stories made a point about how some hobbits (the Tooks in particular) very much were driven to adventure, and were in fact surprisingly well-suited to it. Indeed, hobbits surprising other characters with their capability is kind of a running theme. Second of all, while Tolkien’s hobbits are of course the inspiration for D&D’s halflings, halflings have grown well beyond that. They are defined in D&D by their curiosity, pluck, and wit (and, yeah, a lot of that is a softening of Kender).

To answer the question of how folks have confronted this “problem”, such as it is, in their own games, I’ve specifically made the Tolkienesque notion of the halfling homebody an in-world stereotype.
okay, what are halfling lead nations like?
Oh, thats a good idea. I dont think I've used an evil halfling before. Maybe a few henchmen, but never a big player.
well I know of two groups to work from north Korea which stereotypes its own people as small and weak needing a strong hand to guide them as justification for their despotic leaders, and a group of people who claimed to be ever much a decedent of the English and were also known to be rural the confederate states of America not certain where to go from there but they are largely considered evil and could work as a starting point.
There was Montaron, the rude and sadistic halfling assassin in Baldur's Gate 1.

Same with the halfling mercenary from Neverwinter Night 1, Tommy something. Not evil, but not a choir boy.
I meant in the large group sense the equivalents of say the Duergar for the dwarves.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
well I know of two groups to work from north Korea which stereotypes its own people as small and weak needing a strong hand to guide them as justification for their despotic leaders, and a group of people who claimed to be ever much a decedent of the English and were also known to be rural the confederate states of America not certain where to go from there but they are largely considered evil and could work as a starting point.
I likely dont need to cleave so close to real life and/or literal examples.

Urban: Thieves Guild leader
Dungeon: Cultist leader
Sea: Ship Captain

Work from there.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
All races in D&D are just "humans in rubber masks", so it's never been an issue nor a concern. They get chosen to be played usually for the same reason any race gets chosen... the players wants the game mechanics.

The trope of the D&D adventuring party is that the members are all doing the exact same thing together-- they are journeying as a group to accomplish goals. Maybe they are group goals, maybe they are individual goals that the others agree to assist on. But they are all working as one unit. Essentially, "Adventuring Party" is its own "race" moreso than even the races in the PHB. Because the stereotypes of the "Adventuring Party" at a macro level are much more cohesive and played true than any sort of stereotypes any of the true races have.

Any differences these races have come out in character on the micro level-- mainly as personality quirks. And personality quirks are not race specific. Dwarves are "typically gruff". Well, there are plenty of humans that are gruff too. So "gruff" isn't a dwarven trait, it's a universal one. You will also find dragonborn that are gruff. Hobgoblins that are gruff. Halflings that are gruff. Even elves that are gruff. So "being gruff" in an adventuring party is no more or less "dwarfy" than anything else the character might be. Halflings are "typically home-centric". And so are members of every other race too. So being "home-centric" or "food obsessed" means nothing to distinguish a Halfling from anyone else. Especially considering a Halfling PC in D&D is typically about "going out on adventure with other members of the adventuring party"-- just like every other member of the party is, regardless of their race.

So if someone chooses Halfling, it's not because they have some super-secret Halfling identity they want to try and present... it's because they want to play certain character personality quirks (which could come from playing ANY race in the game) and the four or five game mechanics the Halfling race in the PHB gives them (which ONLY comes from playing a Halfling.) That's why everyone does it in my opnion.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Halflings are my favorite race, though I'm a little bit sad 5e puts penalties on all small creatures without corresponding offsetting bonuses.

The are the Everman - even more than humans who can be adventuresome, halflings adventurers can represent the non-adventurers, a point-of-view celebrated in The Hobbit yet often lacking from adventuring parties.

They are community driven, which gives them strong ties to their found family of adventurers as well as strong hooks for many adventures.

They are The Batman, in that even when the odds are against them they will pick themselves up and proceed forward. Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings personifies this.

They can be comic relief - like a person only tiny can lend itself from slapstick to standing on a table during a negotiation. Play up their love of creature comforts, food, or pipeweed. Lots of angles here.

They are unexpected - while some "rare" races like Tieflings seem a dime a dozen, halflings don't have as much love, meaning when you do see one they will be fairly unique.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I likely dont need to cleave so close to real life and/or literal examples.

Urban: Thieves Guild leader
Dungeon: Cultist leader
Sea: Ship Captain

Work from there.
those are individual villains you can drop any race into that slot, I like to show how ideas can go wrong I like seeing a dark reflection of something it shows how they are not perfect.
Halflings are my favorite race, though I'm a little bit sad 5e puts penalties on all small creatures without corresponding offsetting bonuses.

The are the Everman - even more than humans who can be adventuresome, halflings adventurers can represent the non-adventurers, a point-of-view celebrated in The Hobbit yet often lacking from adventuring parties.

They are community driven, which gives them strong ties to their found family of adventurers as well as strong hooks for many adventures.

They are The Batman, in that even when the odds are against them they will pick themselves up and proceed forward. Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings personifies this.

They can be comic relief - like a person only tiny can lend itself from slapstick to standing on a table during a negotiation. Play up their love of creature comforts, food, or pipeweed. Lots of angles here.

They are unexpected - while some "rare" races like Tieflings seem a dime a dozen, halflings don't have as much love, meaning when you do see one they will be fairly unique.
Halflings are literally said to be in the top four most common races they are only unexpected because people outside the game moved on.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I have a soft spot for "small" races, because the idea of a 3' tall person kicking ass and taking names amuses me. Hence why one of my long running characters is Royle Gladdenstone, "The World's Strongest Gnome".

In my current campaign, I've replaced Halflings with "Smallkin" (also known as Lilka), who are a race related (somehow) to both Humans and Elves. Humans and Elves cannot interbreed with each other, but they can have children with Smallkin. Throughout history, where Humans go, Smallkin follow, and during the Elf Wars, where all the Elven nations went to war, they remained neutral.

From my campaign document:

"As their name suggests, Smallkin are about a foot and a half shorter on average than Humans, with slender builds and youthful features. Male Smallkin often sport mustaches and short beards to be taken a little more seriously. Smallkin have latent psionic abilities, which have helped them survive all manner of adversity, as well as a secret tradition of martial arts known as Vetchkunst, which is based around leaving the hands free for defense and attacking with powerful kicks, using tough-soled, reinforced shoes known as strijdclogs."

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I love my Halflings to be supernaturally able to 1) always be at the right place at the right moment or 2) disappear from where they should have been. Halflings also develops psionic tendencies toward ''being there, then not-there, then not back here again''.

But that capacity to remove themselves from sight and never stand in the way has some downsides. They can be so much ''not there'' that they become skulks, literally so unobtrusive that they are partially removed from creation.

So trying to stay in close-knit communities is a good way to not becoming forgotten to inexistence. That's why they mingle so easily with the others. And that why striking on your own to go on an adventure is not a good idea: chances are you'll become a nameless, forgotten cautionary tale figure....literally.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
those are individual villains you can drop any race into that slot, I like to show how ideas can go wrong I like seeing a dark reflection of something it shows how they are not perfect.

Halflings are literally said to be in the top four most common races they are only unexpected because people outside the game moved on.
Agreed. As mentioned, players will pick rare races more than the common race of halflings. That was the point of that stanza.

Remove ads

Remove ads