• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What issue, though? What is the actual issue, and is it a general issue or a “some players that overthink their hobbies as a secondary hobby don’t prefer the way this thing is” issue?

(To be clear, the above description is being applied to everyone here, not to people I disagree with or anything like that. We come here to overthink our hobbies as a hobby. That is what this place is. All hobbies have such places.)
Except in this thread we're overthinking our hobbits... :)

Hussar

Legend
This is your personal bias talking. A lot of people care about them, they're doing OK in popularity polls. And what's craziest about this is that you'd want to remove both halflings and gnomes. Like sure, they're similar so I'd understand removing one, but removing both would be like removing elves and half-elves.

When choosing a selection of "basic races" in PHB, they should aim for set in which most people can find something they like, so I would see an argument for removing either halflings or gnomes (as people who like one are likely be pretty OK with playing the other in a pinch) for something like warforged or tabaxi, but removing both would be removing an entire broad archetype and that's a bad move.
No, it really isn't. I'm using the numbers that everyone is looking at. 1 in 20 characters. That means that 95% of characters made AREN'T halflings. If I was going to get rid of both and not replace them, sure, I'd agree with you. But, I have repeatedly stated that I would replace them with stuff that fills a similar niche - an anthropomorphic race with small size fits the bill pretty well. And Warforged certainly cover the gnome techno niche. Note, the "tabaxi" thing I never said. That was someone else.

But, by the same token, if elves and half-elves were scraping the bottom of the barrel? Yup, you bet I would eject them. Why are we keeping stuff that no one actually plays? And, yes, less than 5% is no-one. Especially when the two new races, neither of which is in the SRD, neither of which has any real traction in the history of the game, are both doubling the numbers we see from either gnomes or halflings.

It's crazy to me to keep trying to make something popular when it has obviously failed to gain any popularity over forty years of the game. Halflings and gnomes have had their chance. Let's get some fresh ideas into the game.

Hussar

Legend
I wonder if Ebberron is the setting in less than 5% of tables. If so, does that mean it's hardly played and we should cut it? (I could swear I read something like less than 5% is cuttable...).
I'm sorry. Is Eberron in the core books? Is it appearing in EVERY SINGLE setting and supplement for 5e? No? Then, well, that's not really my argument then is it?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Heh, actually I did. The 5e Players handbook has halflings be shorter than I remembered, from 2' 9" to about 3' 3".
Yeah, that goes back all the way to 1e and IMO it's a mistake. Hobbits should be more in the 3'3" to 3'9" range* with Gnomes in the 2'6" to 3' range. 1e - and every edition since - mixed them up.

* - which is vaguely where they are as depicted in the LotR movies.
Notably, the highest human height is about 6' 4", which seems short for an upper limit. Likewise, the lower limit of 4' 10" is too tall, and implies that reallife pygmy ethnicities who can be much shorter are not "humans". Humanity includes its rarer members. The rules need to reflect this, and now do, when a player can choose whatever bodytype one wants for ones character.
The other option (and how I do it) is to allow a narrow-ish chooseable range for height and force a roll for anything more exotic. You wanna play a Human the size of Shaq? Get out yer dice and hope for the best...but be aware you're bound to your roll whatever it gives you.

then why are they one of the big common races if they are meant to be bit parts?
"Common races?" You mean "listed out of alphabetical order in the PHB"? That's so not going to be a thing in the next edition of the PHB. It's just going to be Lineages - here are some examples and rules for inventing your own.

Hussar

Legend
Not including sub-races, there are 50 or so official races. There are countless 3pp and homebrew races.

If halflings and/or gnomes appear in a quarter of all tables, that's an amazingly high number.
No, it really isn't. It's a spectacularly failed number considering that halflings are one of the 4 FREE races in the SRD. When tieflings and dragonborn both outperform them by a fairly large margin, that's pretty clear that no one is the right description.
Secondly, how much space is actually spent in those supplements "throwing them a bone" that you desperately need to reclaim? And if nobody cares about these supplements, then why do you care that there are halflings or gnomes in them?
Sorry, you misread what I said. The bones that are in the supplements are the things that no one actually cares about. It's the "halfling villages" that are found around Saltmarsh - zero detail, not even shown on the map. Just a single line buried in a random table. That's the kind of bone that no one actually cares about. The supplements are obviously very popular. Sorry, I was unclear there.

Halflings have two different dragonmarks and a bunch of dino-riders and organized crime. Warforged don't actually have all that much going on for them in the wider world. They're cooler than most other races, because they're robots, but unless the DM is going to run a warforged-rights campaign, they're not actually all that important. Eberron halflings actually have an impact on the world around them.

I think the same could be said about Spelljammer, and that's getting an update very soon.
But, Birthright isn't. When it does, THEN you have a point. But, there hasn't been so much as a whisper about Birthright, like, ever. So, I'm not really sure why you're bringing it up. Personally, I'm not all that wedded to war forged anyway, so, pick a different option. My point is, let's drop the bottom of the list races and try something new instead of retreading the same boring old crap over and over again that no one actually plays.

Hussar

Legend
I'm not suggesting removing anything.

To me the idea race line up for a D&D PHB is
  1. Aasimar
  2. Dragonbon
  3. Dwarf
  4. Elf
  5. Gnome
  6. Goblin
  7. Halfling
  8. Half Elf
  9. Half Orc
  10. Human
  11. Orc
  12. Tiefling
  13. Warforged
13 races 13 classes
I could live with this list, except I'd drop the halfling and gnome off of it and put them in with the other "off brand" playable race stats either in a section of the Monster Manual or the DMG. Take your pick.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No, it really isn't. It's a spectacularly failed number considering that halflings are one of the 4 FREE races in the SRD.
Which would be relevant were most tables only using the SRD as their source material. The sales figures of the core books would suggest this is not the case. :)
But, Birthright isn't. When it does, THEN you have a point. But, there hasn't been so much as a whisper about Birthright, like, ever.
Which seems odd, given that every time they do a setting survey Birthright seems to get a fair bit of support.
So, I'm not really sure why you're bringing it up. Personally, I'm not all that wedded to war forged anyway, so, pick a different option. My point is, let's drop the bottom of the list races and try something new instead of retreading the same boring old crap over and over again that no one actually plays.
4.7% of all characters being Halflings isn't exactly no-one.

I completely agree with dropping some species off the PC-playable list - there's a few dozen too many as it stands right now - but Halflings (as Hobbits) would survive that process were I in charge.

Remove ads

Remove ads