RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I'll bite. The tiger in your dictionary art..based on the picture alone tell me..

How big is it?
What does it eat?
How fast is it?
What kinds of enviroments does it prefer?
When is it awake?
How flexible is it?
How high can it jump?
How well does it climb, fly, swim, and/or burrow?
Is it smart?
Is it aggressive?
Can it talk?
Does it live alone or in groups?
Is it dangerous to people.

What you know from that dictionary art is that it is a striped, cat-shaped creature...it's f-ing useless for drawing any conclusions beyond that.

There is no indication of scale, no context, no action...

buuuuuutt..

What accompanies this dictionary art? The definition of "tiger", a "large, carnivorous feline"..we also get discussion of "tigerish", which discusses fierceness, cruelty, bloodthirstiness..

Perhaps...and I know I'm really reaching here..we might use the combination of art and other descriptive materials to reach some conclusions regarding the capabilities of a tiger.. and perhaps...the art, without being bad art, isn't really contributing that much to the assessment of those capabilities.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
All right, I didn't think I needed a visual aid, but let's try this from the top.

This picture right here?

View attachment 265525

If I said that this picture depicted the dreaded Cyber T-Rex with shoulder mounted cannons, I would be wrong. I would be wrong, because there are not shoulder mounted cannons on in this picture.
No, but it's easy enough when describing the creature to your players to say "It kinda looks like this picture here, only with a couple of big ol' railguns mounted on its shoulders and pointing forward along each side of its head."

The picture, in other words, is in this case merely an aid to description rather than a replacement for it. I look at the buzzsaw-lion art the same way - "Here's a vague representation you can look at and I'm about to tell you how what your characters see varies from that picture."

Faolyn

(she/her)
No, I am not.

Or, and hear me out here, I think I'm right, because I have reasons. And when asked to share those reasons, I did. And when I shared those reasons, you said I was wrong, and ignored my reasons.

If someone says Fortnight is a better game than Overwatch, that isn't an objective opinion. If they say it is better designed, that still isn't an objective opinion. Because objective opinions do not exist. However, if someone came up to them and asked "Well, why do you think that Fortnight is a better game".... wouldn't you expect them to answer? And they aren't going to answer "because I think it is good." I mean, they might, but that is an incredibly poor answer. They probably have based their opinion on more than that. They likely have reasons.
And if you say that Fortnight is better than Overwatch, and someone else tells them that you're wrong because of X, Y, and Z... then that person is being objective here. That person is saying that their opinion is the correct one and yours is incorrect.

That is what you were doing. You were saying "this monster is badly designed" and literally fighting anyone who tried to say otherwise.

How is "The problematic design can be fixed by the figure running the game, therefore the design is not problematic" not just a straight Oberoni Fallacy? I don't care if you alter the product, if you felt that it was only good if you altered it, it wasn't good in the first place.
Ever hear of the Argument From Fallacy?

But here you go--you are claiming that because people may choose to alter it (while ignoring that I wasn't altering its stats or biology at all, just using it as a domesticated or controlled beast instead of a wild one), it's a badly designed monster. You are fighting me because I disagreed with your opinion.

So it's up to you: keep proving that you are trying to say that your opinion is the objectively correct one and that it's not good, or just shrug and admit that other people's opinions about the monster's design are as valid as yours.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To get back to Hobbits (Halflings) for a sec:

I keep pretty detailed stats on my campaign, including how many sessions each individual character has appeared in. There's been a few hundred player-characters come and go over the 14+ years this thing has been running, of which about 6% (13 of 213) were/are Hobbits.

Of the top 14 longest-serving characters in terms of sessions played, 5 of them are - wait for it - Hobbits! The other nine are 4 Elves, 3 Humans, 1 Dwarf, and one mess who spent 2/3 of her career as an Elf then got reincarnated into a Hobbit and kept going.

For reference, the rough % played overall is about Human 40%, Elf 20%, Dwarf 10%, then various others each at less than 10%.

Conclusion: no trouble with Halflings (Hobbits) here! :)

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
To get back to Hobbits (Halflings) for a sec:

I keep pretty detailed stats on my campaign, including how many sessions each individual character has appeared in. There's been a few hundred player-characters come and go over the 14+ years this thing has been running, of which about 6% (13 of 213) were/are Hobbits.

Of the top 14 longest-serving characters in terms of sessions played, 5 of them are - wait for it - Hobbits! The other nine are 4 Elves, 3 Humans, 1 Dwarf, and one mess who spent 2/3 of her career as an Elf then got reincarnated into a Hobbit and kept going.

For reference, the rough % played overall is about Human 40%, Elf 20%, Dwarf 10%, then various others each at less than 10%.

Conclusion: no trouble with Halflings (Hobbits) here! :)
do you know why your players pick halflings beyond just liking Tolkien?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"Because it's Krynn, and Krynn doesn't have halflings, only Kender which are gnomes. And since I saw there were no halflings allowed, and no good reason for not incuding them, I obviously needed to play one.... NOW!"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And to add another question, what races do you use in your game?
Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Hobbit, Part-Elf, Part-Orc, Barbarian, and other; with "other" being a huge mish-mash of possibilities gated behind long-odds die rolling.

In terms of what players roll up, Hobbits aren't chosen any more than most other species: they're about on par with Part-Elf, Part-Orc, and Barbarian, with Dwarf just a shade higher. All are well below Elf in popularity and Elf is in turn way below Human. Gnome is by far the lowest, but that's somewhat intentional on my part - they're rare in the setting and thus playing one is gated behind die rolls.

Hobbits just tend to last longer. In part this is due to sheer luck, and in part is due to their usually-high Con's tending to make them tough little buggers....yet for some reason this doesn't seem to help Dwarves very much, whose Con's trend even higher.

Yora

Legend
Everything evolves into halflings.

They were the dominant species on Athas for a reason, and remain in control of the only remaining forests while everyone else has to survive in the desert.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Everything evolves into halflings.
In my game everything reincarnates into Hobbits...or gets made into Hobbits by other means.

I'm not kidding. There's been four reincarnations in my current campaign, and desipte the odds of coming back as a Hobbit only being about 6%, three of them came back as Hobbits! Previously they were Elf, Human, and Human. (the fourth was a Part-Orc who came back as an Elf, much to her immense dismay)

And yet another Hobbit was once generated by a misplaced Wish. Party was outside a very tight opening into which none could fit and a character, who had recently picked up a wish from a luckblade and not realized it, half-jokingly said to the fighter "I wish you were smaller". Poof - Human fighter turns into Hobbit fighter, and can now fit into the opening.

Now-Hobbit fighter swore revenge but, five in-game years later, has yet to exact such.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases