• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG systems you liked -- much to your surprise

Akrasia

Procrastinator
My question: What RPG systems have your tried -- and liked -- despite initial doubts?

I have three:

MERP. I was pretty committed to AD&D for my fantasy games in the early 1980s, but my group gave the game a shot. It quickly became our favourite system. We loved the flexibility of the classes and the goriness of the critical hit charts. And those covers by Angus McBride were beautiful (still the best art for any FRPG IMO). My most successful campaign during high-school (1985-86, iirc) used MERP. (In retrospect, I see that my games violated many core tenets of Middle-earth -- it was ridiculously 'high magic' -- but it was fun at the time.)

Buffy/Angel (Cinematic Unisystem). I was a fan of BtVS before looking at these games, and I was pretty sceptical about their ability to capture the 'feel' of the series. IME, most games based on movies or television shows have been pretty weak. Boy, was I wrong in this case! I've never encountered a game system that does a better job in realizing the core features and ethos of its subject matter. The rulebooks are fun to read, as well.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying (2nd ed.). I was completely agnostic about this system before reading and trying it. The core book looked pretty, but because of its connection with WFB, I was worried that it might emphasize tactical combat too much, and require the use of minis. Once I read the rules and tried it out, though, I realized that the game is really well put together! The rules do a superb job in expressing the 'dark and gritty' tone of the Old World. It achieves a very nice balance of detail and playability. Plus, the book is fun to read.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by a RPG system? :)

(If you liked a system that you thought you would like ahead of time, please don't mention it.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
What RPG systems have your tried -- and liked -- despite initial doubts?
D&D 3e / d20.

I really wasn't a fan of AD&D, so it was a *huge* surprise for me, that I quite like the current edition of D&D.

And I'll give a 'same here' for MERP. Fond memories, mostly. And unexpectedly, at that.

Lastly, Mage the Ascension. I haven't even really looked in that game's general direction for a long time, but when I tried it as a player years ago, I had fun. It was quite different from other RPGs I'd tried at that point, and was my first and best introduction to a Storyteller type thing.

That's all I can think of that's followed that scenario.

Deadguy

First Post
For me it has probably been Earthdawn. I looked at the rules many years ago and thought 'pretty, but really an awkward D&D clone'. Then I played a game and thought my position had been vindicated - I really found the play cumbersome and boring. Fast forward about ten years, and I got an offer to join in an Earthdawn game. Since I was at a loose end, I said yes - and I haven't looked back since! The campaign's been running now for about three years. The trouble was that it's a good game, with a slightly odd system and a lot of detail for the 'feeling' of the game. It takes an experienced GM to bring that out to new players, unfortunately.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Rolemaster/Merp came as a big surprise, dragging me away from my beloved AD&D. The group I played with in college was itching for something else to try, and one in the group had the old boxed RM set with the black and white covers of Arms Law, Spell Law, etc. We got very hooked on the detail, even going so far as to add more: e.g. being avid Car Wars fans and unhappy at the "you move and do your attacks before anyone else can do anything because it's your turn" problem, we created a movement/attack phase chart like what CW used for it's movement so that all movements and attacks happened much more simultaneously. A lot of complexity, but added a new tactical edge to combat as people raced for defensive positions and weapons rather than the high initiatives getting them first unchallenged.

My second biggest surprise was 3E being good enough to drag me back into roleplaying and D&D no less afters years of being away from the hobby and getting me hooked into it all over again. "Just when I thought I was out, they puuulllllled me back in!" :)

beaver1024

First Post
D&D 3.0. I thought that the new d20 system would be like a disaster like Players Options: Crap and More Crap. Thankfully it wasn't. Unfortunately they have to spoil it all with D&D 3.5.

derbacher

Explorer
beaver1024 said:
D&D 3.0. I thought that the new d20 system would be like a disaster like Players Options: Crap and More Crap. Thankfully it wasn't. Unfortunately they have to spoil it all with D&D 3.5.

1. My experienece was the opposite. I SWORE I'd never buy 3.5 so soon after 3.0. The changes couldn't be that good/ make that much difference. 52 books later, I've changed my mind!

2. Hackmaster. I'd grown tired of every other company claiming they had "first edition feel". Hackmaster does, and after playing for so long, it is a fun system for some of us "old guys" to run every once in a while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads