Rpgnow creditcard information stolen

GMSkarka

Explorer
I just checked (thanks to Eyebeams for alerting me), and thankfully, the information on me (address and card number) are about 4 years out of date. Neither a location I live in, nor a bank I do any business with any longer.

That's a relief.

Less of a relief is how this news is going to affect my business, as an exclusive vendor with OBS. I fear that consumer confidence will drop precipitously, and tank my sales.

catsclaw227

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Any idea how old the credit card data is? I bought from RPGNow about 6-10 months ago....I think it's the only purchase I've made through them. I googled my name and Mastercard, since that's what I used, and I'm about 3 or 4 pages down, and haven't noticed anything.

Banshee

Try googling your name and "rpgnow". That is how I found it.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Any idea how old this flaw is? How long it has been out there?

Because I had been the victim of identity theft with the old card I once used at RPGNow back in August of 2006. I had always wondered how it could have been swiped, but this would be a good candidate. That card has since been suspended and a fraud alert put on my credit reports. Wish I had the old card number around so I could give it a google search...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Strange, I just got a bunch of PDFs the other day, and my name plus "RPGNow" isn't turning up diddly in Google. I'm guessing they didn't get the whole database.

Glyfair

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Strange, I just got a bunch of PDFs the other day, and my name plus "RPGNow" isn't turning up diddly in Google. I'm guessing they didn't get the whole database.

The thread by Steve Wieck states that what they got was a "a dump of the stored credit card data." Searching the domain I found, it seems to be owned by some guy from Brazil.

My exp date was 2004, so it may be old data (in fact, maybe data that was deleted because it was very old).

Last edited:

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Ummm, OK. I've never bought from RPGNow. I HAVE bought from DTR. (They did merge, right?)

Googled my name and nothing came up. Ditto the CC number.

Am I good?

Been a victim of fraud before and feeling a little paranoid now.

Ryltar

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

Ditto that.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Sorry if I missed it -- what was the timeframe of the theft? I ask because in December I did have fraudulent activity on my card and I'm curious to see if the timeframe matches up.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Thomas Percy said:
Mr. Wieck, why do you stored these data?

I've cancelled my credit card.

Most stores allow you to save your credit card info on the site (and ask if you wish to do so), and from the thread linked in the OP it sounds like that is the info that was compromised. It's an ease of use thing. I never personally allow them to do so - I'll type in the numbers again, thanks.

Googling my name and RPGNow seems to come up clear. I'm very leery of googling my credit card numbers, so I don't think I'll try that unless someone here can give me a very compelling reason why it's not an exceptionally bad idea.

Remove ads