Rpgnow creditcard information stolen

Whew! Nothing. Well, links to a significant number of reviews I've written (lots more than the 1 I get credit for here) ... but no cc number! (Not that it matters anyway, since I've changed all my cc numbers since my last RPGNow purchase).

catsclaw227

First Post
Morrus said:
EN World GameStore was not part of the merger; it was merely closed. And ENGS didn't store cc info at all.
Thanks Morrus!

Now... how can I get my subscription in for War of the Burning Sky? :p

JVisgaitis

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
I had a lot of entries too, so I googled my name and rpgnow -- after the various reviews, I found the offending page.

Cool, I didn't think the hacker would have the name of the site he got it from on the same page.

As an aside, I find it funny how many times I find my name mentioned in forums and if I click the link in Google I can modify the original poster's comments. I must have found like 5 or 6 links like that. Nothing from EN World though thankfully.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Cats,

I'm afraid the bank has to decline due to insufficent funds.

Yes I stole your credit card info! ;) *is kidding! Honest!*

Swack-Iron

First Post
OK, it's outing myself on a forum where I hadn't planned to, but I'm one of the Google employees on the other end of those contact forms, and I have regular access to the team that takes care of this sort of stuff.

First off, please DO NOT republish a link to any Google search results on this thread.

Secondly, will anyone who's been affected by this problem please use the contact form at this link to get in touch with Google:

http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=remove_info

Ignore the stuff at the top of that page that talks about the webmaster, we make exceptions for credit card numbers. Please put the words "RPGNow" or "ENWorld" or "Swack-Iron" or something else I'm going to recognize in the subject line and me or one of my teammates will pick it up from there.

Only contact Google if you know your credit card number is out there. If you don't know or aren't sure, just perform a Google search on your credit card number.

Finally, keep in mind that if Google got it, there's a decent chance that Yahoo, MSN, and any other number of search engines did too. I can't help you on those fronts.

Tuzenbach

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Unbelieveable!!! I just googled my name and I got a cached page from some hacker site that showed a TON of credit card numbers, addresses, and names from rpg now.

WHAT?!?! THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!

BTW, what's your name?

j/k

Glyfair

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
As it turns out, the card they had for me is cancelled already (thank god I have been using paypal for the past year or so).

Yeah, I found my information on a page (only available by Google cache), but it was very old information. My expiration date on my CC was 2004.

Oddly enough, the reason my CC number is different is because my bank replaced my card automatically because of a security breach of one of their computers.

Banshee16

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I've already send something to Google as well as RPGNow. I hope this is the same page of information that they already know about, and it isn't another cached page.

I haven't had any erroneous charges on my credit card yet, but you can bet your sweet sister that I am gonna get this card cancelled. I feel bad for the other people on this (rather large) list....

Any idea how old the credit card data is? I bought from RPGNow about 6-10 months ago....I think it's the only purchase I've made through them. I googled my name and Mastercard, since that's what I used, and I'm about 3 or 4 pages down, and haven't noticed anything.

Banshee

Remove ads